Dedicated Server!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by jsjjs, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

jsjjs

Hello, is it possible to own a dedicated server, but run it from my computer with the files?

2. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

Then your computer will be the dedicated server.

3. Offline

jsjjs

I'm talking about a rented dedicated server, will i be able to have the server files on my own computer?

4. Offline

No, the dedicated server needs the files.
    You need to move them over there using FTP

5. Offline

jsjjs

Thanks, and do you think i can have two routers in my house? One is for my actuall home internet,
    and the second one for a second computer to run a private server on with a different ip?

6. Offline

You can have a DMZ, but tou won't be able to get the same amount of protection as a dedicated host has.
    Not to forget power usage etc.

7. Offline

jsjjs

This will be my private server, for my friends.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2019
  8. Offline

Then those reasons still exist, if a bad person finds it and sees a nice target for a ddos attack or a normal hack then it is gone.

9. Offline

jsjjs

Why would someone find it? It's not like i will publish the server anywhere. Also is VPS a shared host? Some says it's shared some says it's a small dedicated server. I don't know what or who to believe, but if a VPS is a small dedicated server i will get one.

10. Offline

They can, so I keep it as a possibility.
    And it is. It is a server that runs multiple virtual machines. You get one of those virtual ones to control.
    It is dedicated.

11. Offline

jsjjs

I get full control, but i do not have the machine for my self? But doesen't that mean it's shared?

12. Offline

It is shared, that is how they are able to keep the costs down. They don't need to make a full machine for everybody, they can have a load of them on the same physical machine.

13. Offline

jsjjs

Alright, might just get a dedicated instead, hope i can have two servers in one.

14. Offline

You can always just start 2 game servers on the same machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.