Question Custom Messages for Plugins/Editing Plugin Code

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by SirBrad, May 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

SirBrad

So, I have a couple of plugins that work perfectly but have these really nasty looking prefix and message formats.

I want to be able to edit these messages and all I can figure out is that I probably have to go into the plugin's code to edit them.

Obviously, I don't have the foggiest idea if I can even edit the messages nevermind opening the .jar file.

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to edit messages which appear in the chat of any plugin and if I can, how do I do it? Or, is there a plugin that can do this for me?

Cheers,
    Brad

2. Offline

Zombie_Striker

@SirBrad
    Have you tried asking the developers of those plugins to change their prefixes? Also, why would a prefix be so important to change?

Do you already have any knowledge writing plugins? If not, you may be out of luck. You need permission from the plugin author to modify and distribute the jar.

3. Offline

SirBrad

@Zombie_Striker
    It is so important to change the prefix and messages because the default ones look messy and out of place on my server.

4. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@SirBrad In that case: Have you asked the developers already?
    Do you know how to make plugins?
    Do you have permission to change the file?
    What plugin are we talking about?

5. Offline

YoloSanta

Here's something I recommend
    Step 1- Get permission from the dev to edit.
    Step 2- Download a software called JBYEdit
    Step 3- Learn to use it

6. Offline

Zombie_Striker

@SirBrad
    I would recommend using this decompiler. Find the classes that deal with the prefixes (such as the command classes, or event classes), Decompile them, edit the strings that deal with the prefixes, and then recompile the classes and put them back in the jar.
    http://www.showmycode.com/

7. Offline

SirBrad

Thank you, everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.