CraftBukkit 1.5.2-R0.1 is now available!

Discussion in 'Bukkit News' started by EvilSeph, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

A new CraftBukkit Beta Build (1.5.2-R0.1) that provides Minecraft 1.5.2 compatibility is now available.

Will plugins break with this build?
    Provided the developers of the plugins you are using are keeping up with the development of Bukkit, all your plugins should work fine, with the exception of plugins that use Minecraft or CraftBukkit code.

What is a Beta build?
    A Beta Build is in between a developer build and a Recommended Build. These builds simply work and are promoted much more frequently than a Recommended Build. While we will do some testing before promoting a beta build, we will not be running it through our extensive test process. As such, there are no guarantees that they will not contain minor bugs. If we do find out they are broken, we will mark it as such on DLB and promote a new one. A beta build may contain incomplete API and new features but they should not interfere with running the build in any way.

This particular Beta build, like every first Beta build for a Minecraft update, is primarily made available to help facilitate more testing coverage to bring us closer to a Recommended Build sooner. Please consider running this Beta build to give us a hand with discovering issues we need to address in order to reach a Recommended Build.

Known Issues:
    • None.

For more detailed information on what is contained in this update, please see the changelog here.

Download CraftBukkit 1.5.2-R0.1 here

2. Offline

veks

Again Development Build? It is beyond good and evil!

3. Offline

forquare

Not according to the commit history on CraftBukkit and CraftBukkit-Bleeding. But that wasn't my main point, as far as the average CraftBukkit user is concerned, the project is falling behind expectations and nothing has been said as to why. Instead Bukkit staff are suggesting that beta builds should be considered for use in production.

4. Offline

Slayerlord8

Awesome work again! Keep it up! :)

5. Offline

Kozzy68

It sux to be minecraft server owner. I quit.
    -First there is minecraft updates where you hope map generator and features wont change so you dont have to wipe out all again or move to new world. But its is the least anoyng thing tho.
    - 80% people will update and cant connect to old bukkit.
    -Next you wait 1 2 months for stable bukkit release or risk even more bugs to show up. it sux but aint still so bad.
    -Now worst part after 1 2 monts waiting you get stable bukkit but lot of plugins are not updated and wont work right with new RB anyway you have no way to tell if they work till you wont spend 100 hours of testing.
    -Next you wait for plugin to get updates for another month. Now part that even worse since after all this time there is again new MC release and lot of devs starts updating towards beta bukkit so you never get all plugin to be build against single version or bukkit. Some devs are fast some take month some dont use betas to do releases ...
    -Next thing sux even more once plugin updates you have to remove all configs typicaly and reconfigure all from scratch as only like 1% of plugin devs cares about doing some automation around that or to document what to do to upgrade.
    -Lastly if you are unlucky plugin you use die and if you dont have still or time to code it well you just have to search some clone that typicaly lacks features or has again same bugs and probles already fixed 100 times in old plugins.

Doing profesionall business server administration far les anoyng and les time consuming process than MC server.

This system and process of how to maintain servers is coplete mess and disaster as whole from admin perspective.

6. Offline

Bobcat00

I don't have any of those problems running the beta build. <shrug>

7. Offline

ZachBora

Kozzy68 1.6 client introduces multiple version support, so you can with just 1 client login to different minecraft versions.

8. Offline

Kozzy68

On every forum project you find people that will keep telling you that they are fine with everyting how it is now. Types that love to stay on one place safe and just consume whatever is served to them. Once you start using more plugins and try to have server free of critical bugs that can ruin game balance like loosing items or not working land protection it is not fun. If you have players like you that have no problem with inventory whipe from time they take it as normal game feature than yes .... no problem

forquare likes this.
  9. Offline

PatrickSzczep

Keep up with the good work guys!

10. Offline

kamurei

So for the heck of it, I decided to do some data analysis today on this thread. Just wanted to see what the over all feeling of the thread was like. Here is how it breaks down out of a 100 posts, with mine making it to 101.

Posters:
    • Developers: 4
    • Admins: 1
    • Users: 95
    Post Tone:
    • Positive: 44
    • Negative: 16
    • Ambiguous*: 40
    Post Content:
    • Go Team!**: 37
    • Critical Thinking***: 17
    • Neutral****: 46
    * These are posts made where they say such things as, 'this is great but if only it did this too.'
    ** This posts amount to little more than, 'Yay!', 'Good job!', 'Great work!, or similar posts.
    *** Posts cite examples to prove their position whether for or against a particular topic/tone.
    **** Not enough information given to be considered critical thought but too much given to be considered 'Go Team!'

Personally, I find it a little disheartening that in 100 posts, 4 of them are from people working to develop what we are all talking about. It's like an information black out.

There wasn't any real point to this post, I just figured I would post it.

(So I'm not completely off-topic)
    I mean I want an update so I can play the updated version. I want to play with friends. I want my server owner to be able to invite new players. I want to meet new players. But all of these things won't happen until bukkit puts out a recommended build of some sort.

Rog360 likes this.
  11. Offline

ZachBora

kamurei You do understand that Bukkitdev staff don`t necessarily work on Bukkit? And you do understand that there are people doing pull requests that do not look anything special on the forum?

You should count the number of developpers using more factors. And put in a seperate category plugin developpers. Because without plugins a new build isn't much different than vanilla.

12. Offline

kamurei

I did not know that Bukkitdev staff did not associate themselves with Bukkit. Forgive me. -_-il Also, I have to be honest and say that I have no idea what you mean by 'pull requests'. I have no context for what that means.

Had they had a more obvious label that they were developers for Bukkit, I would have included them in the 'Developers' tally. And you are right in saying that plugin developers deserve their own. However the only label that a user can see is either 'Bukkitdev Staff' or 'Admin'. I assumed 'Bukkitdev Staff' to be developers and 'Admin' to be website administrators.

13. Offline

ZachBora

kamurei
    Most plugin developpers will have "dev.bukkit.org profile:" written under their name with a "My Plugins" link underneath. This means their forum account is tied to a developper dev.bukkit.org account.

BukkitDev staff are trusted people that validate the plugins plugin developpers submit on dev.bukkit.org. Some of them do contribute to bukkit itself.

The code for bukkit is "open source" and anyone can contribute to it by doing what we call a pull request. A pull request is basically a piece of code to either replace an existing code or to add new code. The people handling Bukkit can then decide to include it or not.

As for Admins, they are pretty much like police on the forums. They all have other important tasks beside the forum like contributing to Bukkit or even to Minecraft itself.

But always remember that, even if they seem less significant, the forum users are still very important. Without users, there would be noone to use bukkit. There would be noone to download plugins. There would be noone to submit bugs.

14. Offline

aeronetwork

Go Bukkit!, I love it, thanks when will 1.6 come out?

15. Offline

ZachBora

Wait about a week after minecraft releases 1.6

aeronetwork likes this.
  16. Offline

aeronetwork

When is going to be released?

17. Offline

TnT

You should ask Mojang. We are not in control of when new Minecraft versions get released.

aeronetwork likes this.
  18. Offline

Trapo

OK Guys, get ur economics knowledge and sell bukkit. Who is the target group? How many people? Make a price like, idk. 5€ or 10€. Work out a pricing model. Majong earned enough with a simple and fair model. Its not about getting the big money, just give us stable updates. Please.

19. Offline

Gravity

You don't throw money at things and make them stable. Bukkit is an open-source project, and is the collective work of many, many people. Not only do we not have the authority to sell it, we would never do such a thing because it completely violates the open source principles.

If you think that, for whatever reason, Bukkit isn't stable you may do any of the following:
    • Make a bug report
    • Contribute code
    • Support the developers

lol768 likes this.
  20. Offline

Ultimate_n00b

I wouldn't say a week, we get a dev build for a new version about 1-2 days after the mc version comes out.

21. Offline

ZachBora

I usually wait for a beta to put on production, unless the dev is very stable.

22. Offline

Ultimate_n00b

I just use the dev, I don't mind waiting a week to be stable. Worst comes to worst, you just use a old backup.

23. Offline

forquare

Throwing money at something doesn't make something more stable, but having more money to throw developers and time at something can make it more stable.
    While I understand that you don't have authority to sell it, saying that you never would because it violates Open Source principles is wrong:
    You can charge for binaries, but the source must be open. I expect you'll find a large number of people put off by the 'Instructions for compiling CraftBukkit', and would opt to pay a small fee for the binary. But like you said, you don't have authorisation.

24. Offline

ZachBora

forquare Part of the source is Minecraft code, I don't think they can sell Bukkit because of that. I've even heard somewhere that if they wanted, Mojang could ask Bukkit to cease it's activities. But they would never do that. Anyone can download the server jar from the Minecraft website and run their own server without paying Mojang.

25. Offline

MG127

There is allways the option to donate. Feel free to pay whatever you want. (go to the main-page)

26. Offline

forquare

ZachBora I know, hence why I said "While I understand that you don't have authority to sell it".
    With regards to Mojang ever asking Bukkit to cease its activities, I think Bukkit could perhaps get around this by offering a patcher that would patch the Mojang server.jar and make it into a Bukkit server.jar. Bukkit would then become a distributed mod, rather than (to paraphrase the MC ToS) a hacked version of the Minecraft server.

27. Offline

ZachBora

Does the terms of Minecraft allow to mod their game? I know most games do not allow it.

28. Offline

forquare

In the MC Terms of Use (I incorrectly called them ToS before) is states:

Which suggests that you can mod it as much as you like, and you can distribute the mod.

29. Offline

doglover129

Is there by chance an estimated time of arrival for bukkit release of 1.5.2?

veks likes this.
  30. Offline

veks

in the next life;)

doglover129 likes this.
  31. Offline

TnT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.