CPU Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by FurmigaHumana, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

FurmigaHumana

Hi,

I'm about to buy a dedicated to my server, the specs are:

Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7Ghz OR Phenom II X4 840 3.2Ghz
    8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
    128GB SDD

But I don't know which cpu will runs better with craftbukkit, can someone give me your opinion? The price is the same for both cpus.

thanks.

2. I asked a similar question about CPUs and tried to get some confirmation on whether a Minecraft server actually utilises more than one CPU core. From what I can tell (I don't really know anything about parallel programming) a Minecraft server will only ever use one core and even creating new Thread objects creates them in the java process and doesn't actually ship them off to another CPU core.

With that in mind I would recommend you get the one with less cores and more clock speed, the Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz.

3. Intel is much better at single threaded applications.

4. Offline

ELCHILEN0

I personally have used the Intel E3-1270v2 and others in the E3 series. They are very good and I have had about 160-200 players running on it without any lag. I would most certainly go with the faster processor and less cores as Minecraft is not multithreaded and there are minimal processes that are sent to other threads. However if you are looking to run more than one server on the same machine you might want to keep the number of cores in mind. Regardless 4 cores should be fine for at least 3 servers.

flyingtacoz likes this.
  5. Offline

flyingtacoz

Indeed, this is by far the best cpu you can get for a minecraft server. (other than the 1290v2 or 1290, but those are expensive and hard to find) :)

6. Offline

TheBeast808

I use the Phenom II X4 840 3.2Ghz. Not the fastest around, but fast enough to hold 100-120ish people.

Is that CPU in a server you colocated? If not, could you post a link to the host you got that server from?

7. Offline

ELCHILEN0

Here you go: https://www.limestonenetworks.com/

8. Offline

Clinton

I would recommend one of these. i7-2600, E3-1230v2, E3-170v2, E3-1290v2, i7-3770K. That's what we recommend to our clients and what we've seen works very well for minecraft servers.

9. Offline

MikeA

E3-1290v2 runs very well :D

10. Offline

Milkywayz

I use a i7 3770 (no k) and it's really awesome. I had 37 players on earlier running on my home connection with 20 TPS. I would have to recommend getting an SSD and fast ram to go along with the i7. The i7 can handle 1666mhz ram by default, which is what I use.

You could also use a Server CPU which is definitely recommended by almost everyone, it's too late for me to make that decision...

11. Offline

Sypher117

You will always find the final answer here. Single threaded CPU performance. Updated regularly.

All other posts are unnecessary, as your arguments are now invalid.

12. Offline

Nathan C

Lmao @ all the recommendations of the E3 1290v2. Sure it is the best, but is is most expensive and will be outdated in less than 3 months time now.

Realistically, since you're buying and not renting, the best bet is the E3-1230 or E3-1230V2. Desktop versions of those would be the 2600K or 3770K.

Anything over those CPUs will perform marginally better for a lot more money.

Milkywayz likes this.
  13. Offline

Milkywayz

I made the mistake of buying the 3770. I should have atleast got the 3770k incase I ever wanted to overclock. Although I just use the stock fan..

Basically when it comes to buying hardware, I make so many mistakes that I can't take back lol.

I wish I could gave gotten a server motherboard and a server CPU / Ram, that'd be pretty cool.

14. Offline

Sushi

Not really...

15. Offline

Nathan C

16. Offline

Sushi

That just shows that Intel has more processors in the higher-up segment. AMD has processors with similar capability as Intel with a lower price.

17. Offline

Sirstaven46

All is needed is 4 cores, plus it's less Ghz at the 6 core, even though I have the 6 core CPU at my house, I'd go with the 4 core. That's all that's needed.

18. Offline

Sypher117

Listen I am a huge AMD fan and I always will be. Your argument is valid for overall CPU performance. Price vs value. AMD wins in that category overall. But, when it comes to single threaded operations. Intel has taken over this market. Think of this. You can buy a FX-8350 for about $190.00 or you can buy a I5-3570k for $210.00 the performance difference is 30% the price difference is 11% you just can't compare them. The gap is even larger for Server class CPUs.

elias79 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.