Could we make everything alright again?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by bramhaag, Nov 14, 2014.

?

What do you like better?

1. Bukkit, Spigot etc.

100.0%
  2. Glowstone, Sponge etc.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everything is a giant mess right now, Bukkit AND Spigot downloads are down by a DMCA claim, new server software is created like Sponge and Glowstone... And I hate it! I really do. And I know some of you do too. By the way, hello Mr. or Mrs. What do you think? Is it possible to fix Bukkit again? If Bukkit is fixed I belief that Spigot is going to be fine too! In theory, we could just rewrite all code written by that Wolvereness a.k.a Wesley Wolfe guyto fix the DMCA claim right? So, why aren't we doing that?

Bukkit is 80% messed up right now. Almost all the staff left etc. etc. And like I said before, I hate it...
    But what do you guys think? Could we just revive Bukkit? And how?

- Bramhaag

2. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

bramhaag Craftbukkit development is down, not the Bukkit community, new staff is being assigned.
    Rewriting everything would take loads of time and loads of developer willing to dedicate that time to this.

3. timtower well, atleast 15% of the people are gone. Wait a sec, you are a Moderator! Congrats Tim! Nice to see that there are also some Dutch people in the Bukkit staff

4. Offline

bramhaag That 15% was raging because of the DMCA, can't disagree but a DMCA doesn't mean that a community is dead. And country isn't important, it is how active you are in the community.

5. timtower Indeed, country isn't important, but it's nice to see that Dutch people are also involved in the Bukkit staff.

6. Offline

Lolmewn

I used to be staff, too :eek: #DutchMasterRace

XD 3VIL M0NKEY, timtower and bramhaag like this.
  7. Lolmewn I found out yesterday that you Dutch too ;) Btw, completely off-topic but why do you support Wolvereness

8. Offline

Lolmewn

Let's not derail the topic, okay? ;) There's plenty of threads about this subject.

pookeythekid likes this.
  9. Ok, but I feel like you are a bit 'too scared' to give your opinion. Not trying to force you to give your opinion or something tho! But if you feel relaxed about it, you should send me a PM with your opinion in it, I'm interested. Back on topic: I guess every single piece of Bukkit code has to be rewritten right?

10. Offline

He is probably scared for a flame war, we had enough of those in my opinion. He is just avoiding one, thank you for that Lolmewn
    And about the rewrite: Yes, yes we would need to rewrite every single piece.

11. bramhaag We've covered this in great detail in the IRC over two days. There's really no need for another forum thread about it, there are plenty floating around.

12. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

Do your new moderator powers give you insight into why the community left? How can you authoritatively state that the decrease was due to "raging" over the DMCA takedown? Surely quite a bit of it is a result of Bukkit being dead, regardless of the server binary takedown. I bet some of the leaving is due to the community's perception that the new BukkitDev reviewing approach is letting through more malicious code, making it in their minds a less safe place to collaborate.

Also, pretty sure it's substantially more than 15% gone ;)

13. Offline

They don't give me new insight in why the community left, and I have a habit to be wrong about stuff like this. Might need to say it in a different way next time. Thank you for the notice on that.
    And can't disagree with the more than 15%.

mactso likes this.
  14. This is going to sound stupid, but I knew it was more then 15%, but I didn't hope it was more then 15%, so I wrote down 15%, hoping that I was right

15. Offline

Lolmewn

I've given my opinion plenty in other threads ;) It just doesn't belong here.

timtower likes this.
  16. Offline

pookeythekid

bramhaag This is a little late but... The Spigot downloads are no longer affected by the DMCA. At least, soon they will no longer be affected by it. I hear they've gotten to testing their first license-issue-free 1.8 build.

DrPyroCupcake likes this.
  17. pookeythekid Yes Spigot recoded it so there 1.8+ builds are good (I tested the 1.8, it's good) It is also good because existing Spigot/Bukkit plugins are supported.

mactso likes this.
  18. Offline

Ben61441

YES! We need to fix bukkit (Spigot)!! Its the best there will ever be!!

19. Ben61441 I totally agree! But, it seems like an impossible job :(

20. Offline

Ben61441

How does it seem impossible?? Also let me get this straight. Bukkit is not over its just we dont have a staff right now right?

21. Offline

There is staff, just not the kind needed to get Bukkit straight on its feet again.

22. Offline

pookeythekid

Umm... If you read what bwfcwalshy and I said, it's already been done.

23. Offline

rcade

That probably is happening in various places.

There's a long history in open source of routing around an obstacle. If there are programmers who want to see Bukkit continued and are passionate in their belief they will probably find ways around the current brouhaha.

I think the departure of the Bukkit Project leads and most volunteers is a bigger issue than Wolvereness' takedown. A DMCA counter-notice could potentially put an end to that, but it wouldn't make a new team materialize to do the hard work of upgrading the code to 1.8.

24. Offline

DrPyroCupcake

I read Spigot is repairing CraftBukkit, along side with making Spigot.

25. Offline

pookeythekid

DrPyroCupcake Really? Wouldn't they have to either have the rights to CraftBukkit code or fork it? And if they fork it, isn't that already what Spigot is?

26. Offline

DrPyroCupcake

I'm not 100% sure what they are doing. Here is the article I read. md_5 made it sound like he was also updating CraftBukkit, and was going to release it along side Spigot on their website.

27. Technically they have always been depending on the original CraftBukkit and Bukkit, forking them to change stuff, but always merging with the original. If they want to update to 1.8 on their own, they either have to change the whole thing to something completely different, or they have to update their forks of "CraftBukkit" and "Bukkit". They used to have forks of both, containing a lot of changes and additions already, then they had another project applying patches to their other forks, which allows for a modular approach, compiling your own version using only the patches you want, provided i roughly understand their process. I don't know if they make the 1.8 update working from a (legalized) clean 1.7.10 CraftBukkit version or if they update directly on base of their already altered fork of CB (1.7.10). After all that's a technicality, but certainly it's interesting what will come off that. I could imagine they'll want to stay independent after that, though that also means a huge amount of extra work. I could also imagine that other people fork their altered fork of CB to make a "as close to vanilla as possible" version of it :p, for one of the thinkable cases. Remains to be seen if/how/what they will release - it'll be a surprise probably.

28. Offline

mactso

It would be nice for the community if spigot produced an updated, "clean" 1.8 bukkit as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.