Connection Timed out

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by darth343, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

darth343

Okay, My friend has been desperately trying to host a server on his computer, Alienware Area 51.
    He's new to hosting a server but have been playing multiplayer for almost a year. He has hosted normal minecraft server for 2 weeks and there wasn't any problems. He asked me to set up bukkit for him as he wanted plugins on his server and i agreed to help. After setting up, we could play but the next day, after he stopped and opened his server again, it didn't work for me. He as the hoster could join. I tried running his normal minecraft server and it worked. But bukkit doesn't. We are running craft bukkit 1.4.2. Any help you can give us? If you need additonal information, give me a list of questions. I will answer. By the way, we're both premium users and have minecraft accounts.

2. Offline

arweth

Are there any errors in the bukkit logs?

Have you tried to check if the port is visible outside the network with bukkit running? (Get him to go to a site such as canyouseeme.org and enter the port number that bukkit is set to and see if its open)

darth343 likes this.
  3. Offline

darth343

I have tried playing on his normal minecraft server after port forwarding. Works like a charm! But for bukkit it doesn't.... i can test using canyouseeme.org if it helps!

I just checked like what you said and... true enough.... it was a port forward failure. I tried running bukkit and did the port forward check, it said error: connection timed out. When i tried the normal minecraft and did the port forward check, it said SUCCESS! I could see your port on 119.xx.xx.xxx! Now, thats weird! Any help you can give me?

I thought i replied but never mind that. I have ran two port forward tests, one when my friend was running the normal minecraft server and one when he was running bukkit. It was a success when i ran the test on the normal server but on bukkit, unfortunately no. I have portforward the port (25565) for TCP and UDP. Is there any solution you can give me to rectify this problem?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  4. Offline

Lolmewn

Can I see your server.properties?
    Also, I think this should be in Bukkit Help, but ah well :)

5. Offline

TnT

What do you mean? It is in Bukkit Help. :confused:

6. Offline

Lolmewn

You did it again! :O

7. Offline

arweth

As already said posting your server.properties would be helpful but at the least check that the ports in the Vanilla minecraft and Bukkit are the same port as Bukkit could be starting on a port that is not forwarded if you had changed the Vanilla minecrafts ports.

8. Offline

darth343

Sorry for not replying yesterday but i'll post his server.properties file.

#Minecraft server properties
    #Wed Nov 07 19:25:18 SGT 2012
    generator-settings=
    allow-nether=true
    level-name=world
    enable-query=false
    allow-flight=false
    server-port=25565
    level-type=DEFAULT
    enable-rcon=false
    level-seed=
    server-ip=
    max-build-height=256
    spawn-npcs=true
    white-list=false
    spawn-animals=true
    snooper-enabled=true
    hardcore=false
    texture-pack=
    online-mode=true
    pvp=true
    difficulty=1
    enable-command-block=true
    gamemode=0
    max-players=20
    spawn-monsters=false
    view-distance=10
    generate-structures=true
    spawn-protection=16
    motd=A Minecraft Server

i dont see any problems in the server.properties.

9. Offline

XxWolfTorrentxX

Does he have any plugins? Sometimes if you have lots of plugins, your thing might time out.

10. Offline

darth343

No.... He only has World Edit and Essentials. And its not my fault. Bukkit doesn't bind port, whatever that means....

11. Offline

darth343

No replies? T^T is there anyway you can help us?

12. Offline

LaxWasHere

What do you have CraftBukkit.jar or bukkit.jar? The two are different and you keep saying bukkit. Post your start up script and server start log.

13. Offline

lokpique

Usually means something is already using that port. This USUALLY happens when there is already a copy of the server running (either vanilla or bukkit) and you try to start another instance of it using the same port.

This, however, does not sound like the case here... if a vanilla copy was running while he tried to run bukkit, you would at least still end up connecting to the vanilla server.

Have you guys tried using a different port for bukkit? This would at least help (hopefully) in narrowing down if this is a network issue or a problem with your bukkit jar file.

14. Offline

darth343

LaxWasHere: We're using CraftBukkit Beta Build (1.4.2-R0.2)! :D

lokpique:I've haven't tried running it on another port as he's been busy recently. I'll try running it on another port to see if its a network issue. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.