Connection time out.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by grid21, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

grid21

Hey I have a problem where I'm running my bukkit server from my computer at home and I can connected to via local connect but anyone from the outside is having trouble connecting to my server. I do have port forwarding turned on and I can ping myself via CMD window but they still cannot get on. This has been a new problem that has come up and I have no idea what's going on. Please reply to me ASAP because I have people waiting to get on and play. Thanks! Grid21

2. Offline

slidic

Under Server Properties make sure you leave your IP Blank. Bukkit/MC will auto fill it. Next make sure when you port forward its for your servers ip. IE if its static or not.
    Open up your Router and make sure the ports are open for your servers computer.

Depending on your ISP your IP may change randomly, daily, monthly as well which could cause issues.

Once you have all ports open for your server's machine go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and type in 25565 to confirm.

Just Google "Whats my IP" give them that plus :25565 at the end of it.

3. Offline

grid21

I'm using windows 7. I had set the server Properties ip to my internal ip so when people connect the server would be bound to my computer and directing the incoming traffic to me. Also I had heard there is a known bug in Minecraft or Bukkit with connectivity errors. And it's so intermittent that's it's hard to know what the problem is. Could it be a bug with Bukkit or Minecraft?

4. Offline

slidic

No... and by internal IP do you mean the 192.168.#.# or something like that?

I assume you do, so thats your problem. Leave it blank or put in the one Google gives you when you search whats my IP. Your router well direct all traffic to the correct machine you need not worry.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  5. Offline

grid21

Well when I put my external ip in my server Properties it says "failed to bind port, is it already being used by another machinane?" And yeah I had set it to 192.168.*.** I had talked a moderator on another server and they said it is an error with Minecraft because they were having a problem with their home server.

6. Offline

slidic

List your server proprieties file here. Also make sure you killed all instances of your server. CTRL-ALT-DELETE and remove anything that is Minecraft related. But first your proprieties file, post it here.

But it I would recommend leaving the IP line blank and trying that for a fix.

7. Offline

grid21

Why would I delete everything minecraft related? Does that include the client or just the server files? And I did delete and reload my server Properties and it didn't fix the problem. But I will post my server Properties when I'm on my computer tomorrow.

8. Offline

slidic

Whoa dont delete files, I meant go to ctrl-alt-delete and kill any process that are minecraft related including client. The failed to bind port, is it already being used by another machine tends to pop up when there is a server already running.

Here's what I recommend, go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and see if 25565 is open. I didnt see if you confirmed it was open.

Next make sure the server.propreties line "server-ip=" Is left blank
    Save.
    Reboot the computer hosting the machine
    Log into router and make sure the internal IP hasn't changed for the server. If its the same start the server up.

If all is well you should be up and running. Your server computer just needed a restart :). If they still can't connect message back.

Also are you running any firewalls or just windows firewall???

9. Offline

grid21

My dad left the port 25565 as default port. I run Mcafee as my firewall. I don't know if that's the trouble or not. Let me check tomorrow and I will give you a status update. Thanks for your help thus far! I'll keep you posted! Good night.

10. Offline

slidic

Just make sure the Server jar and all related files can past through your software firewall. As well as incoming connections.

11. Offline

grid21

Here is my server settings. Also is there anything in windows like remote access I need to change?

#Minecraft server properties
    #Tue Oct 09 00:07:45 EDT 2012
    allow-nether=true
    level-name=world
    enable-query=false
    allow-flight=false
    server-port=25565
    level-type=DEFAULT
    enable-rcon=false
    level-seed=
    server-ip=
    max-build-height=256
    spawn-npcs=true
    white-list=true
    spawn-animals=true
    snooper-enabled=true
    hardcore=true
    texture-pack=
    online-mode=true
    pvp=true
    difficulty=3
    server-name=Unknown Server
    gamemode=0
    max-players=20
    spawn-monsters=true
    view-distance=10
    generate-structures=true
    motd=Gridcraft Multiworld

I did some editing in my firewall settings and I think the problem is fixed now. I'll hopefully know later today if people are still having trouble or not. Thanks for your awesome help slidic!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  12. Offline

slidic

NP if it all works out PM the IP I would love to check it out!

13. Offline

grid21

Yeah sure! Today seemed better connection wise so I'll keep an eye on it. Also side note question how do you pm on bukkit forums?

14. Offline

slidic

Click my icon then start conversation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.