CONCEPT: Internet-Wide Anti-Griefer System

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by mappum, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

mappum

I have long been thinking it is time for a good anti-griefer system to be developed that is shared among many servers running Bukkit. A blacklist would be shared among all of the servers in the system in order to keep griefers from doing their damage, getting banned, and moving on to the next one. This concept can be seen having great success in Source Engine games. If people ever hack, they are "VAC-banned", and will have quite a hard time finding a server to play on. I do not know much about the specifics of VAC, but I will probably be researching it if I am to develop this.

The part that puzzles me is that knowledgeable people can "grief" this system itself, by adding legitimate players to the blacklist and keeping them from actually enjoying the game. The probable solution would be to weight the blacklist entries so players will have to be repeat offenders and reported on multiple servers before being locked out. This would still be hackable, but would probably be a more secure infrastructure.

I will be happy to spend time developing a quality plugin for this (and a blacklist server, unless it will be a peer-to-peer network), and hope someone else finds this to be a good idea and can contribute. If anyone sees any flaws or has any constructive ideas, please let me know.

2. Offline

Archelaus

Look up "MCBans"

3. Offline

mappum

Maybe I did not make it clear enough, but I meant to imply an automatic system. This one seems to be a list of manually-entered bans. I honestly cannot see how this would be helpful unless I were to spend countless hours copying and pasting usernames.

The one I have in mind would automatically warn about or ban users with bad ratings, and could automatically report them with use of griefer honeypots (probably wooden houses that are waiting for someone to ignite them).

4. Offline

fishyfish

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe MCBans does this? Upon a player joining with bad reputation, the server admin will be notified.

5. Offline

Archelaus

You're correct.

The usernames are entered by server admins. The system is exactly like you described yours would be, basically anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.