Complete Newbie-Setup help

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Joshua J, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Joshua J

Hello,

I am at a loss and you are my only hope.

Recently the person who updated and delt with our minecraft server decided he didnt want to do it any more. He sent us all of the login information and bailed.

Our server is running, however After the latest crash, Bukkit is not installed.

I have logged in, according to the former guys intructions, using a program called WinSCP and I can see both the Bukkit and craftbukkit files in an empty folder titled "hmod".

Heres what I need...

As i said im a newbie. I dont want to just have some one do it for me. I want to learn this so someday i can repay the favor. I need some help to find out What our server is running on (bc yall need that info to help ) and then I need some one to walk me through setting up the Bukkit.

I know, its frustrating dealing with newbies, but if you are willing I would accept the help

J

2. Offline

mughi

newbies that are willing to learn are not frustrating.. it's the OTHER ones that are frustrating..
    standby.. searching for links
    do you at least know if you have windows or linux?

(if you don't, we can find out.. )

3. Offline

Joshua J

To be honest, I really don't. The last Guy didnt say. When I browse The File system i dont see any files that resemble windows files.

4. Offline

mughi

it's prolly linux

what is the path to the minecraft folder (eg: mine is: /home/minecraft/bukkit)

however, let's back up a few steps.
    you said there was a crash and it stopped working?
    do you need to re-setup bukkit, or just fix the existing one?
    do you have a world you need/want to save?

5. Offline

Joshua J

/home/minecraft/ is where its all located at.. I believe we need to re set it all up, as the only files i see are the two install files for the Bukkits. I am hoping to save the world the users have, they have worked very hard on it. some folders are empty that im told should not be (hmod should be, if bukkit was in installed right im told)
    --- merged: Feb 4, 2011 12:22 AM ---
    I can get you a screen shot of the file structure if it would help us out
    --- merged: Feb 4, 2011 12:40 AM ---
    Im gonna go a head and upload these, so you have a better idea of what we are working with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    with one last file "whitelist.txt" at the end.

6. Offline

mughi

actually, it looks like it is all there..
    but, it is hard to be sure about your config.

did he give you any instructions for STARTING the server? it looks like you would run start.sh

but you can't do that over scp.. you need putty or telnet
    unless there is a web site for controlling it.

sorry i'm kind of all over the place here.
    from your folder structure, the world is there (i can't guarantee it is good, but the folder is there)
    you have a folder for plugins.. which is where all the plugins would be

make a backup of the world folder and then see if you can start the server (assuming he gave you instructions)

7. Offline

Plague

Your server looks too messy (not saying al the files do not have a purpose in the end ,but not now) to start learning how to run one.
    Move all these to backups and start anew, that's the best way to learn, just slowly build it from the bottom. Download minecraft server from the net, set it up (configure server.properties) and login. If everything works, add craftbukkit, then plugins, etc. We can worry about the original world then.

8. Offline

Joshua J

Ok got putty, got it connected. went to /home/minecraft/start.sh and i got an error

The assembly mscorlib.dll was not found or could not be loaded. It should have been installed in the '/user/lib/mono/1.0/mscorlib.dll' directory.
    --- merged: Feb 4, 2011 1:33 AM ---
    Ahh cool Plague! i didnt see your reply im sorry. Ill try that idea right now.

9. Offline

gdscei

Could you upload the start.sh? It appears it currently does more than just loading up the server as you get that error.

10. Offline

mughi

@gdscei he has mcadmin. my guess is it's a linux server trying to run mono and something went bad. I think @Plague has the right idea w/ starting fresh.

Thanks for stepping in and setting him on a simpler path. My way was going to lead to a mess. This way, he gets a clean server w/o legacy crap, and he'll understand what each part does.

11. Offline

Plague

Yeah, I saw your suggestions to be accurate and correct, but that was a way for me as a somewhat experienced MC admin and quite experienced unix user :D

12. Offline

Joshua J

Awesome! Thanks Every one.. ok here we are. Iv removed all files, And running the set up now. once I get it all set up and configured Ill move on to installing the craftbukkit..

Whoo hooo Im learning !! lol

13. Offline

TnT

Type uname -a in the command prompt. Should help us figure out your OS.

Also, type java -version in the command prompt. This should help us sort out your java.

Plague's help (you should listen to him) will give you a fresh server. So make sure you're backing up the old stuff first. Also, this link (how to) may help you, its based off an Ubuntu Linux server, which should be similar enough to what you're trying to do.

14. Offline

Joshua J

Is it ok to use the data from the old Server Properties file? or should I also start over from scratch using the new one?
    --- merged: Feb 4, 2011 5:17 PM ---
    Heres that info you asked for

root@mthanyaka:~# Linux mthanyaka 2.6.32-26-server #48-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 24 10:28:32 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    No command 'Linux' found, did you mean:
    Command 'linux' from package 'user-mode-linux' (universe)
    Linux: command not found
    root@mthanyaka:~# root@mthanyaka:~#
    root@mthanyaka:~#: command not found
    root@mthanyaka:~# java -version
    java version "1.6.0_22"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)
    root@mthanyaka:~#

15. Offline

Plague

Well, if you want to learn the most, start with a new server.properties, but you can use the values from the old one once you know what they do (check the minecraft wiki).

16. Offline

Joshua J

ok, first problem.
    java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
    2011-02-04 12:18:22 [INFO] Starting minecraft server version Beta 1.2_01
    2011-02-04 12:18:22 [INFO] Loading properties
    2011-02-04 12:18:22 [INFO] Starting Minecraft server on *:25565
    2011-02-04 12:18:22 [WARNING] **** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
    2011-02-04 12:18:22 [WARNING] The exception was: java.net.BindException: Address already in use
    2011-02-04 12:18:22 [WARNING] Perhaps a server is already running on that port?

So, Im guessing once a port has bind's you cant do it again?
    --- merged: Feb 4, 2011 5:28 PM ---
    I think ill just stick to using the new file and updating it as needed. I really want to learn this and like you said, i will learn more if I start with the new.

17. Offline

TnT

You're running Ubuntu (x64) with Oracle Java 1.6.0_22 (x64). You should be able to follow that how-to I linked earlier. If you get stuck, just post here and we'll help.
    --- merged: Feb 4, 2011 5:46 PM ---
    There is already a java process running on that port. If you can't find it, in your putty, type: sudo reboot (to reboot your PC - give you a fresh start and will kill any already running processes).

18. Offline

Plague

Well reboot is pretty aggresive, so do it only when this is a computer only for you and your minecraft ;)
    "sudo killall -9 java" should suffice.

19. Offline

TnT

True, but I'm hoping the previous admin didn't give him a production server for some company that also runs Minecraft on its server. I'm going to assume its free for him to use.
    Yes, the killall -9 java command would work, but since he's new to Linux, I'm trying to make it as simple as possible. Would be beautiful to have him accidentally that command and whoops, there goes his server, hosted somewhere he doesn't know, managed by Inglip knows who.

20. Offline

Joshua J

LOL thanks every one. The help here is FANTASTIC! So far every thing has gone well. The killall worked. Im now on the step to installing the Craftbukkit. This is awesome. You all have really made this learning experience wonderful!
    --- merged: Feb 4, 2011 7:37 PM ---
    Rockin! its up and running again! yall rock! .. now.. how would I go about restoring the admins and their ability to set homes, teleport to players and such? would this be where a "plug in " comes in?

21. Offline

Plague

Yes this has to be done via a plugin(s). I personally run a private server so do not use permissions or protections, but Scrapbukkit and Permissions (these are names) are much used and some say they will be integrated some day. All I know is he's called the Stig! it's pretty much a server-to-server choice, so look through the plugins or say precisely which functions you need and people will recommend some.

22. Offline

Joshua J

ok functions.. hmm.. talking with the old admins what i know they had were the following.
    All: Set home
    Mods : Teleport to players, Teleport players
    Admins : could spawn items, Teleport players and To players, Set time (day or night), Kick, Ban, unban, Add Mods and other admins.

If i could get that running for now it would be good. Then thanks to all of this help, i think Ill try to add some other stuff later like a map or some thing.
    --- merged: Feb 6, 2011 12:40 AM ---
    OK, I Narrowed down the plug ins to restore what was lost. But I seem to have run into a more important issue.. For some reason the server stops after I log out of putty.. Is there any plugin or line of Code some where I should be using to keep the server online?

23. Offline

mughi

you are probably logging in via putty, and launching it from that login. When you disconnect, that login and all processes are terminated. use SCREEN

1. connect via putty
    2. type screen
    3. if it asks you to install it, do so. (sudo apt-get install screen) or something similar.. it will likely tell you
    4. then start minecraft
    5. close putty
    6. screen keeps your server running

1. next time you connect
    2. type screen -dr (this will connect you to your existing session)

enjoy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.