[CLOSED] Looking For Storm Developers

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Icyene, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Icyene

[​IMG]
    Storm is a plugin that adds a whole new range of weather mechanics to MineCraft and Bukkit servers.

Storm was aimed to answer multiple plugin requests asking for new/better weather et al. Its quite in its late development stages now, and has many things, from acid rain to meteors and wildfires.

Lately, my time (and that of the *team's) has become more and more constrained. Because of this, we are accepting applications for new developers for Storm. We would like to have one more developer, but if there is an amazingly close tie between a group of people, it is possible more then one person will be chosen.

Now, Storm is quite a massive and complex plugin, yet is still very efficient (both performance and speed wise). We want to keep it this way. Our list of requirements is quite long, but alot of it is common sense we thought we'd include, just in case you are a brilliant programmer who talks like a cat.

Requirements:
    • You understand WHAT objects are, and know how to use them.
    • You do not haz teh grammarz. We do not wish to be deciphering the English equivalent of LOLCode.
    • You are friendly and enjoy to learn. You do not smash keyboards like Nova when you make a mistake.
    • You know how to write Java outside of the Bukkit API.
    • You are reasonably dedicated to projects you take on. Of course, school, family etc comes first. We just want to make sure you don't abandon your involvement a day after you join.
    • You are very familiar with Java.
    • You classes are well organized, do not have an excessive amount of dupe code, and refrain from using static collections where possible.
    • If you use a value returned by a function (e.g. Player.getName()) more than once in a chunk of code, you store the value of it.
    • You have experience with threading.
    • You have experience with reflection. This is a must, as alot of Storm is dabbling in net.minecraft.server code.
    • You are reasonably skilled at inferring what chunks of native MineCraft code do. This again is a must.
    • You either 1. comment your code, or 2. write code in a way that is easy to understand.
    • You understand the Zen of Python (shown here), and how it applies to Java.
    • You have a Skype or GMail account, so it is easier to converse rather than using PMs.
    • BONUS: You have an understanding of how to use ASM, or any other bytecode engineering library. Future updates of Storm will be more and more centered around this.
    If you choose to apply, simply leave a comment on this page with a list of your work. We will review them and get back to you as soon as possible. As stated above, we cannot take everyone, so don't take it personally if you do not hear from us.

* Myself, hammale, JuarezCause, and xiaomao

2. Offline

Icyene

3. Offline

Giant

Well,

• There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it.
    • Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch.
    That made me rofl! :D (I am Dutch btw ;) )

Icyene likes this.
  4. Offline

skore87

That "rule" is probably the most irritating and annoying thing in the whole world for programming.

Code:
    public void someFunction()
    {
        /* This is about the most irritating thing I see when
        I look through other people's code... */
    }

public void anotherFunction(){
        /* Now this looks much better. I strongly prefer this semi-compact
        brace placement */
    }

5. Offline

Icyene

Perhaps that shouldn't be there; I auto-format all code anyways... Its a thing of personal preference, but having the bracket on another line really does make sections of code easier to view, especially in nested methods, classes etc.

"Most annoying" is subjective. I personally hate it when people set multiple integers like

Code:
    int1 = int2 = int3 = 4

But I know many people who will always use that. Its no use arguing with them :)

6. Offline

Firefly

Code:
    someMethod(){
    Looks better as:

Code:
    someMethod() {
    Just saying ;)

7. Offline

Icyene

The point of this thread was not to start a religious debate on which code standard is the best/worst >.<

caldabeast likes this.
  8. Offline

Firefly

Hehe, my bad. ;)

Unfortunately I'm too busy with other things to develop this seemingly amazing plugin... Oh well :(

9. Offline

Giant

Icyene but srsly, if I haz ze grammar can I haz potition? :D (Translation: I'll apply...)

10. Offline

Icyene

Firefly
    No problem :)

Giant
    "potition"? That resembles potion or petition more than position :p

Application accepted! I went through part of the source of GiantShop and GiantBank. Impressive. I've PM'd you :)

11. Offline

Giant

Icyene, well it was badly broken english in the first place....

12. Offline

Sushi

I can do all of those except reflection + asm. I'm not sure how dedicated I can be though.

Also, I can't show you examples (in Java that is) because most of my work is centered around closed-source freelance projects.

13. Offline

Icyene

Sushi

Sorry for the late reply.

We would have no problem accepting you, we just request you make a pull request to the Storm project on Github. It can be anything, from performance optimizations to new weather; it would just provide material for us to decide.

hawkfalcon likes this.
  14. Offline

Sushi

I'm sorry but I'll have to back out. I have another Bukkit project I'm working on (plugin framework/toolkit) that I want to complete before embarking on another project.

15. Offline

Icyene

Sushi No worries. Thanks for your interest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.