Chunks of the world resetting.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Hubbe King, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Hubbe King

Okay, so for some strangely wierd reason...

Certain chunks of my map are resetting themselves to their original, generated state...

Mostly chunks that contain lots of spawned nether-blocks. (Lightstone and such)

Using CraftBukkit #140 with AntiBreak, LWC, MinecartMania, WorldGuard and WorldEdit

Anyone have any theories as to what could be causing this?

2. Offline

bennyty

I know, its weird. Ive had castles cut in half and entire houses eaten.

3. Offline

barghest

Don't even talk to me about resetting chunks. I made a nice big mob spawn trap tower very close to the spawn point of the map, only to find out that apparently the spawn chunk is particularly vulnerable to this glitch for some reason. BAM! Giant floating half-tower pieces, over a pristine sandy beach. There goes a few hours!

OP, this specific incident prompted me to implement a backup shellscript on my server. And strangely, I've never had to use the backups. The resetting chunk process stopped. I'd like to tell you my hypothesis here:

My backup script does /save-all, /save-off, zip the world, /save-on. My hypothesis is: Periodically running /save-all, which forces all block edits in memory to flush to disk, pretty much stops this from ever happening.

If you're running a Linux server, PM me and I can maybe point you in the right direction (it's not super-simple unless you're familiar with shellscripting); if you are running on Windows, I'm afraid I can't help you.

4. Offline

Hubbe King

Sadly, I am running a Windows server... :O
    But I am familiarizing myself with java... Maybe one could write a plugin to do a save-all every hour? :O

5. Offline

barghest

I believe that CraftBukkit doesn't yet have hooks to do console commands on itself. I'm afraid you're stuck with a hacky workaround for now. :(

6. Offline

TnT

It can do all the regular commands - list, stop, save-all, etc.

7. Offline

Hubbe King

Then we really need a save-all plugin... :O
    I have no idea how to make it... But it sounds simple enough... :O

8. Offline

TnT

Fill this out. I'm incredibly concerned about this and we need to identify what exactly could be the cause.

9. Offline

Hubbe King

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Using Java Server VM, version 1.6.0_23
    My Craftbukkit is build #140

I am running AntiBreak, LWC, MinecartMania, WorldGuard and WorldEdit.
    As I said, chunks of the world are resetting themselves to the default generated state.
    I have tried updating my plugins, updating Craftbukkit, updating java, updating my Windows with the latest patches, running Craftbukkit without plugins and running the Minecraft Vanilla server.

Although the issue didn't seem to happen in the Vanilla server... It could be the case as I didn't have the time required to properly test it.

10. Offline

TnT

Have you tried rolling back build numbers until you find one that works?

11. Offline

Hubbe King

Also, the server reports this error every once in a while.

Code:
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: .\world\tmp_chunk.dat
    (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at net.minecraft.server.ChunkLoader.a(SourceFile:83)
    at net.minecraft.server.ChunkProviderServer.b(ChunkProviderServer.java:151)
    at net.minecraft.server.ChunkProviderServer.a(ChunkProviderServer.java:205)
    at net.minecraft.server.World.f(SourceFile:1463)
    at net.minecraft.server.WorldServer.f(WorldServer.java:33)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:256)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:197)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:512)

This error only shows up in the console, and isn't logged in the server.log
    --- merged: Jan 25, 2011 5:57 PM ---
    No, i haven't tried rolling back... But this has been an issue atleast since build #120
    (I upgraded from #27 to #120 as I was abscent from admin duties for a week)

It may also be present in earlier builds.(It was definately an issue in hMod)

It also seems to happen mostly on larger maps (>50mb)

12. Offline

Dinnerbone Bukkit Team Member

You wouldn't happen to have a mobspawner in these chunks, would you? (All of you)

13. Offline

Hubbe King

I have now gotten confirmation that this doesn't occur on the vanilla server software.
    Neither does it with early builds of Craftbukkit. I am not sure when this "bug" got introduced, however.
    Builds #1-20 do not show this bug.
    Builds #120-140 do.

14. Offline

Schirf

I've encountered this as well. The chunks deleted/re-created also don't appear to have any blend-line to the existing chunks; i.e. they're completely random. I'm not sure how the chunk generation process generates new chunks, but since I've seen this error I'm also getting a less uniform blend on chunks added to the map edge, which had me thinking that this is a minecraft error and not a craftbukkit related problem.

15. Offline

Hubbe King

(Is there any way to check for mobspawners? Short of some kind of offline map-editing software?)
    --- merged: Jan 25, 2011 6:13 PM ---
    My experience with this bug differs from Schirfs.
    The chunk that are reset fit in perfectly with their environment. Almost as if they were simply reset to how they were originally generated.

16. Offline

Dinnerbone Bukkit Team Member

Try #141 and tell me if you still have the issue.

17. Offline

Hubbe King

10 minutes in and nothing so far...

RAM usage has dropped quite significantly though (~80MB)
    --- merged: Jan 25, 2011 6:43 PM ---
    Make that 20 minutes. I'll report back in a couple of hours.

I've got to make sure this works...

18. Offline

barghest

Dinnerbone, epic update. My mob trap tower thing didn't have a spawner in it, but I actually had a pig spawner in a cave close by. I'd say two chunks away at most.

It appears that pigs from a pig spawner are currently impossible to kill with any weapon? Both swords and arrows pass right through them like ghosts. I tested this before and after update #141.

19. Offline

Hubbe King

The problem appears to have been fixed.
    No reports of reset chunks after almost 24 hours of uptime.
    --- merged: Jan 26, 2011 9:06 PM ---
    Scratch my last.

4 chunks right next to one another just reset themselves. Causing a huge hole in our minecart station.
    About 3 hours of work, gone.

ATTENTION: This bug STILL OCCURS!
    --- merged: Jan 26, 2011 9:20 PM ---
    Also, a new trend.
    Mostly seems to happen with constructions in the sky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.