Chunks not loading properly in Bukkit only

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Free Thought, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Free Thought

I've tried reinstalling minecraft and bukkit with several command line tweaks, multiple times and I always get the same problem:

When logging into the server on a newly generated world, I keep falling. I see new chunks coming in around me, but very slowly. If I wait several minutes.... the ground still never spawns underneath me. I see lava and other underground features spawning around me, things in the distance, etc. I never get any useful blocks that would allow me to stop falling.

The closest thing that I have found to a solution for this is to load another world that was generated on a vanilla minecraft server. What this does is that I can instantly spawn the world under and around me, however, when i move towards the edges, the correct chunks fail to load, i can stand there and stare into space waiting for the chunk to load and nothing will happen. I can jump off into space and fall forever again and never load the missing chunk. Thats when i use an already generated map. Now, if I've done these things and I relog, i can get the immediate chunks under me to load but only to a very limited distance out again. I lose all chunks that were previously loaded before i moved and logged off. Whenever I delete the world folder, I log in and fall forever and watch distant chunks and lava pieces spawn, never loading the pieces below me. This is on Bukkit, with no plugins.

I've tried with several reccomended builds including 740, 766, and dev builds. I've tried using 64 bit java as well as 32 bit java. When I host a server with the official Minecraft server, either the executable or the jar version, I can log in and immediately everything works perfectly, with multiple users. I successfully added several server mods to the official minecraft server such as runecraft with no performance hit. Multiple people can log in and everything works perfectly. I've also tried canary mod. Again, everything spawns instantly, no falling, i can walk as far as i like, I can install plugins and have multiple users connected and the server shows no sign of trouble and there are happy days and the sun is shining, the minecraft gods are smiling down on me and the world is at one with the cosmos and singing kumbaya. Problem is, I really want to use plugins available for Bukkit.

Other forum postings seem to be attempting to describe this same problem but in a less wordy fashion, and i see the typical response is to reccomend command line tweaks or to ask if the person is running the server on the same machine as the client or to assume hard drive performance issues. Thats why I wanted to make it clear here that my system can handle multiple users, on vanilla, perfectly, with modifactions, or using canary mod with no problems. BUT when i delete and reinstall everything related to minecraft including the client, including the appdata roaming .minecraft folder, I install a fresh bukkit with no plugins, no pregenerated world files, I fall forever, and ever...... eventually i get disconnected from the server, as a matter of fact, bukkit always disconnects me after about 1-3 minutes of falling. The other servers don't do that. Again this is while trying several releases of bukkit.

I'm not including my system specs intentionally because others with the same issue have done so in the past and i don't think bukkit should be so much more difficult to run than canary for example. I really look forward to running bukkit in the future. Very perplexed.

In summary:
    Bukkit + no plugins + new world = falling forever + disconnected

Bukkit + no plugins + pregenerated world = immediate area around me spawns, can't move very far without finding edge and falling forever

official minecraft server + no mods = perfect with multiple users
    official minecraft server + mods = perfect with multiple users
    canarymod + plugins = perfect with multiple users
    canarymod + plugins = perfect with multiple users

I realize everyone here is doing their best to make this the best server mod out and I look forward to the time when that is the case on my machine.

2. Offline

AgentKid

WOWlongparagraph... Okay, couple things: Startup script? Server specs? Hosted on your local machine or on another server? OS?

3. Offline

Free Thought

windows 7 64 bit

quadcore 3ghz processor

4gb ram

4. Offline

AgentKid

Thanks for separating the book into paragraphs :p I've noticed this a lot on Windows 7 64-bit machines. The server works perfectly normally on vanilla and any other server mod, but with Bukkit something breaks and lags the server insanely, mostly during chunk generation and loading. I've yet to come up with a solution, though.

5. Offline

Free Thought

well at least now i have some confirmation that you're already aware of the problem, i'd seen similar issues attributed to notch and the upgrade to 1.5 in another post on this forum, which didnt make any sense to me because notchs server works fine on my hardware. Its less frustrating now to see an acknowledgement that it is in fact bukkit which is causing the performance issues and not the minecraft code itself. However why wouldnt this be resolved by running the server with 32 bit java?

6. Offline

Soulrift

I'm running into the exact same error myself. I'm able to get both the jar and exe of vanilla MC to run just fine, but no chunks spawn whether a fresh gen or pre-gen map. You heard any feedback from anyone yet, or found a solution that works?

7. Offline

Free Thought

haven't found anything that fixes this, no. Still really want to use bukkit though.

8. Offline

TnT

Soulrift - these are worlds generated by Bukkit? Have you tried running the Bukkit server with a vanilla generated world?

9. Offline

Soulrift

I've tried both vanilla generated and Bukkit generated. Posting the questionaire as a reply here shortly

1. What OS are you using - Win 7 Pro
    2. What architecture is the OS you are running? x64
    3. What version and architecture is your java install? 1.6.0_25 - 64 bit (though i have 32 bit installed as well, same version
    4. Are you running any wrappers? None
    5. What build of CraftBukkit are you running? 766, though i've tried earlier stable builds, and later unofficial as well
    6. What command are you using to run your CraftBukkit server? I've tried many types, include directly pointing at the different java versions (x86/x64) but this is what i'm currently using
    @Echo OFF
    java -Xincgc -Xmx3G -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar nogui
    7. What plugins are you running? None
    8. What error are you getting (post your server.log file if possible)? It's not erroring in the console at all
    9. What have you tried already? Tried running both exe and jar vanilla minecraft, which worked fine... also pre-generating the map in vanilla minecraft and replacing the bukkit one with it. Verified all ports are correctly forwarded through my router, windows firewall is not blocking any communications, and tried turning off active scan temporarily on my antivirus (avast)
    10. Have you tried any of the things below? All of them :)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
  10. Offline

EvilSeph

What are you running alongside the server? - list EVERYTHING. My main concerns are firewalls, antiviruses or anything that touches the network connection in any way.

11. Offline

Soulrift

Free Thought: Seph helped me figure out what the issue was with mine... something in my Avast AntiVirus was blocking it.... try turning off your firewall/av and seeing if one of those components is f'ing with it

12. Offline

TnT

What was it in Avast? Can you be more detailed, or did you just turn off your Avast?

13. Offline

Soulrift

Well, i did some digging and it seems to be the Mail Shield module that's blocking it.... i have it permanently disabled until i figure out what in there is causing the hubbub

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.