CB RAM Issue :)

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Pezmantbh, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Pezmantbh

Hey,

Got an issue with CB at the moment, both on RB and the latest build.

Running Vanilla MC uses about 93MB RAM while idling, with the -Xmx768M and -Xincgc parameters. It then continues to use between 30 and 90MB per player after that. When the server uses all of its RAM, it will stop at roughly 100-200MB over the Xmx setting before lagging and then continue to use no more RAM.

With CB, the server will idle at about 280-320MB of RAM, with the same parameters, same world, no plugins. It will then continue to use up to 2x as much RAM per player as Vanilla. The server is also using 1.37GB of RAM even though it has only been allocated 768MB.

I am aware of the various overheads associated with Bukkit, its API, and Java, but surely this is not normal? Any tips to reduce this?

The main machine this is affecting is Ubuntu 10.04 Server, but it also happens on Windows XP and Windows Vista.

2. Offline

MikeA

It's been like that for me since 1.8 releases.

3. Offline

Pezmantbh

Yeah, likewise.

It is really driving me away from Craftbukkit - Is this a bug of some kind, or something that can be optimized? :)

4. Offline

Nathan C

Yeah, ever since 1.8 for me too, the RAM use keeps climbing until it hits its allocated max limit. It stays like this and does not ever go back down.

Although the server can run for days like this, with no adverse effect on performance.

5. Offline

Pezmantbh

Very similar to my server, but on a 768mb allocation it has gone as high as 1.58GB. There is very rarely a performance problem from this, and many of the plugins that (although a little inaccurately) say how much RAM CB is using often say it is using less than 768MB. Possibly some kind of memory leak? o.0

6. Offline

Pezmantbh

Is anybody on the Bukkit team able let us know if this is intentional, or a bug? :)

7. Offline

Bertware

It seems like I don't have this problem. However, my startup parameters are quite lengthy :)

8. Offline

MikeA

I don't really have this problem anymore either, I use a very long command to hehe. Even if I have this problem, it's not noticeable on my dedicated server.

9. Offline

Pezmantbh

Typically how much RAM does your server use while idling? How many plugins are you running? :)

10. Offline

MikeA

It is never idle, there's always someone on. Read below.
    • 25~ players online
    • 51 plugins
    • 5 worlds
    • APPROX. 3.5 GB RAM (3500~MB)
    That is about it throughout the day, it never goes above 5GB, but I allocate 14GB to Java.

11. Offline

h0us3cat

I wish it was like that on my server.
    Mine hits 8gb after 3-4 days uptime.

12. Offline

MikeA

I restart my server every 4 hours using Remote Toolkit. If I don't restart after a day or so it lags out. If you don't restart your server, you should restart it every few hours.

13. Offline

Pezmantbh

So I guess there is something specific causing high memory usage for some people but not others. What is strange is that it is happening on 4 machines with 3 Operating Systems...

Nonethless, I am sure we can all agree some optimization of CB would be nice :)

MikeA likes this.
  14. Offline

MikeA

Optimization of Minecraft AND Craftbukkit :mad:

15. Offline

Pezmantbh

For sure. There are times when I wish I knew Java :p

Just as an update to this, I managed to get an extra 60-90MB of RAM back while idling by disabling the end world.

Along with a few other minor adjustments to the properties file, the server now idles at 120-190mb, much better (but still could be better :) )

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
  16. Offline

Logan

How could you disable 'The end?'

17. Offline

Pezmantbh

Disable it in the bukkit.yml file :)

18. Offline

Logan

Yes, but there's nothing of 'theend' just nether..

19. Offline

Pezmantbh

In the bukkit.yml file - Not the server.properties file, you will find:

allow-end: false

change it to true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.