Can't keep up messages yet no issues...

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Bakuhatsu, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Bakuhatsu

I at first thought this was related to xp orbs dropping but it can even happen when people doesn't even die. But I can get periods of heavy "[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?" spamming, when there is tons of free cpu, tons of free ram and almost no hdd load.

And there is no performance loss server wise, it doesn't lag up anything extra for the players. It's just mainly annoying to see.

So.. it's kinda weird that it starts to say it can't keep up while there is no difference at all for the players. And the cause is not a plugin, no.

2. Offline

fffizzz

I too am having this problem, its a little better in the last few builds, but doesnt make sense. watching iotop, htop, dstat, vmstat, I show nothing that would indicate a drop in performance, yet those messages are starting to become more frequent.

some times with 50 people, none what so ever, other times with 30, its spammin the console. Beginning to think I might have some corrupted chunks or something.,

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  3. Offline

AinSophAur

Usually the more it spams it, the more lag you'll experience in game.

4. Offline

andrewkm

5. Offline

fffizzz

id rather address the problem, then hide it :)

pyraetos likes this.
  6. Offline

pyraetos

This is likely due to buggy EXP orbs somewhere, which don't lag the whole server, but they do lag the area at which they are, and that could very well cause quickly repeated "Can't keep up" errors. There are a few plugins which remove EXP Orbs if they are glitchy, my version works pretty well: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34015459/OrbsBegone.jar

7. Offline

Jigsaw

@pyraetos Which CB build is this tested with?

8. Offline

Michael Briggs

I've actually narrowed a cause down to latency. Using a bash script I wrote, I monitor network traffic during a period where they start showing up for no reason, and notice usually one player with a very high RTT on tcp traffic. If I /kick them temporarily the messages stop (and so does any server lag players were experiencing). As soon as they rejoin it starts up again. I doubt this is the only cause, Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.