Can't connect to server.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Wholesomeflame, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Wholesomeflame

I followed the guide that here: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/how-to-install-bukkit-newb-friendly.245/

It works fine, I just can't connect to it. Anyone help? I'm a total noob at this. Lol.

I'm running:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
    X86
    Java Version 1.6.0_21 from Sun Microsystems Inc.
    I'm not sure of the version of craftbukkit, it's the one I downloaded from the forum that I learned how to set up a server.

2. Offline

mughi

do you get errors?
    did you open the firewall port?

3. Offline

Wholesomeflame

All I get as an error on Minecraft is "Failed to conenct."

4. Offline

mughi

windows 7 has a built in firewall that a) doesn't seem to be easy to disable completely, and b) doesn't like craftbukkit by default, although it works w/ plain minecraft..

you need to create an entry for craftbukkit to allow it to access the internet and back.

this thread has information that will probably help you

5. Offline

Wholesomeflame

My friend told me to switch to bukkit. The last server thing I used wouldn't let me be an admin so we couldn't build so it was a flop, but people could connect. I don't think the built in firewall is the issue here o.o

6. Offline

Plague

Okay, did you even read the post mughi posted?

7. Offline

Wholesomeflame

I did, and it's about forwarding ports etc. etc.

8. Offline

mughi

right.. and your problem is users can't connect to the server, server has no errors..
    which means either your users are banging away at the wrong server.. or something (firewall/router) is intercepting their packets and keeping them from the server.
    --- merged: Feb 5, 2011 2:14 AM ---
    also, your java is a bit old, but that is probably not the issue

umm.. also.. are you running 64 bit or 32 bit, because your information conflicts.. x86 = 32 bit

9. Offline

Plague

No, he said that windows firewall runs minecraft, but has issues with bukkit.
    And the first thing you say is "i run it before with something else and it worked. now i run bukkit and it doesn't, I don't think its the firewall", come on!

Now, you don't need port forwarding if your server has an external IP. You just need to set the firewall straight. n those situation I just shut the firewall down for a few minutes and test connection without it to know what's going on, try that.

10. Offline

mughi

actually, the windows 7 firewall is weird.. (or the last guy did it wrong). I told another guy to try shutting it down, and it didn't help, but opening the port in the firewall did..

11. Offline

Plague

Then he did it wrong, I am no fan of MS operating "systems", but this would bee to much even for Windows. Well actually it would not, but I did some firewall setting with them and this works quite OK.

12. Offline

Wholesomeflame

So I got through and when I try to click Save Settings, I get "IP address for 'Name1' should be within LAN subnet (192.168.0.0)."

Also running 64 bit.

13. Offline

Plague

So you are behind a NAT then...
    Now this starts to smell like we either don't get all the info or you mistyped or misunderstood somewhere.

1. Test running only minecraft_server.jar if you can connect on it. I know you said it works, but just to be sure, test it please.
    2. Post the output of ipconfig /all ( I hope the /all is what windows use)

Now it depends on whether you can or cannot connect. If not you'd have to contact the one you connect through. If you can test bukkit with no plugins.

14. Offline

Wholesomeflame

Just running minecraft_server.jar? I can't connect to it, it says "User not premium."

I was using something else that launched the server previously that I had downloaded off a youtube video link.

As for the outcome of ipconfig, can you explain that? As in run>cmd>ipconfig?

15. Offline

mughi

have you actually PAID FOR MINECRAFT?

16. Offline

Plague

exactly

mughi: well he could be just running in offline mode, because minecraft.net is acting up. But if he's not, he'd better run! :)

Edit: going to bed, hopefully mughi will finish this, or someone, or you'll have to wait for 10 hours ;)

17. Offline

mughi

true.. i may have jumped the gun here

18. Offline

Kull

Have the same problem, just started an hour ago. Must be minecraft net itself.

19. Offline

Plague

Wow someone who actually reads posts and posts in the relevant one :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.