Can't connect to my server

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Astireloth, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Astireloth

I'm using the latest recommended build #733 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    I have port forwarded 25565 on my router and added 4 rules to Windows Firewall: Inbound TCP/UDP 25565 and Outbound TCP/UDP 25565
    I'm hosting this server on the same PC i'm playing on and I can connect to it without any problems. But when I try to connect with my laptop it stays at "Logging in" for a while and then comes "Read timed out" error.

I've tried Minecraft vanilla server and it worked fine, I could connect with my laptop. Also I tried to run craftbukkit without any plugins, but the problem still occurs.

Sorry if this is asked already, but I couldn't find existing threads about this.

2. make sure you are connecting to the external ip. that will most likely start with 24.
    if you are starting with 192, it is a internal ip and will only work on internal machines. where are you trying to connect from(ex. work, coffee shop, home)

3. Offline

Astireloth

I tried to connect with both IP's. External and internal, but still can't connect. Both, host PC and laptop are at my apartment, so they're "internal".

4. ok.
    any errors?
    what command are you using to start the server?
    any wrappers?
    what plugins?
    also, can you post your server.properties

5. Offline

Astireloth

I'm using RUN.bat with code given here: http://wiki.bukkit.org/Setting_up_a_server
    What is a wrapper? :D
    I'm using Whitelist, PasswordProtect and PlgSetSpawn
    And my server.properties looks like this:
    Code:
    #Minecraft server properties
    #Tue Apr 26 17:01:55 EEST 2011
    level-name=world
    hellworld=false
    spawn-monsters=false
    online-mode=true
    spawn-animals=true
    max-players=4
    server-ip=
    pvp=false
    level-seed=random
    server-port=25565
    allow-flight=false
    white-list=false
    spawn-protection=16
    public=false

6. delete the public part. i don't think that should be there?

7. Offline

mughi

make sure you dont' have any other rules in windows firewall that relate directly to java

8. Offline

Astireloth

Removed and tried to connect, no help. Still can't
    Checked and there's no other rules.

9. Offline

mughi

when you connect from your laptop, use the 192... address
    external addresses don't always work from inside (although they generally should)

make sure you don't have a firewall running on your laptop. (i don't THINK windows firewall would cause this on the CLIENT), but it is possible. A lot of anti-spyware includes firewalls now.. might want to check that as well

are there any messages in the server log/output window while you are connecting?

aidan matzko likes this.
  10. Offline

Astireloth

Tried to connect from friends computer and same thing happens. Stays on "Logging in" and then comes the "Read Timed Out"
    Friends computer is not connected to my router. Server shows this:
    Code:
    16:59:17 [INFO] Xxxxxx [/xx.xx.xx.xx:xxxxx] logged in with entity id 98
    16:59:27 [INFO] Xxxxxx lost connection: disconnect.endOfStream
    But his Minecraft client shows the java error with "Read Timed Out". Tried also with no firewalls and anti-spyware softwares.

11. Offline

mughi

and your friend is using the external ip (obviously, or you wouldn't see anything on the server).

are you using hamachi?
    and you say you have no plugins, no whitelist, and it works with vanilla server.?

this is highly unlikely, but make sure you are running the latest java? (1.6.24 or similar)

12. Offline

Astireloth

Yes, friend uses my external IP and I'm not using Hamachi.
    I currently do have plugins and whitelist enabled, but I tried without them and the problem is still there. Minecrafts vanilla server works just fine.

Checked my java version and it's the latest 1.6.25

13. Offline

mughi

i know you said you checked this, but everything points to windows firewall.

are you sure that you have the four rules (in/out, udp/tcp), and they are set to ALLOW traffic (outbound defaults to DENY), and they are for the correct port?
    also, make sure they are ENABLED
    It's worth checking again, just in case

14. Offline

Astireloth

Yup, there they are. 2 rules in and 2 rules out for port 25565 allowing traffic for all profiles.

15. Offline

mughi

@TnT any thoughts? (if you have time)

I'm running out of ideas here

what OS are your client machines running?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  16. Offline

Astireloth

Client machines are running same OS as my host machine. Except they're x86, host is x64
    Edit: By the way, thank you for your time and effort. :)

17. Offline

mughi

can you PM me your server IP? i would like to see if i can connect to it.. although i can only use telnet at the moment, so it won't be a complete test. after work, i could try actually logging on using minecraft

what i'm wondering is if win 7 firewall is blocking the CLIENTS from talking properly to the server. This seems unlikely, as there should be a LOT more users with this issue, but it is worth looking into. If you have an XP machine around, that would be a quick test, even if it is way underpowered...

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

18. Offline

Astireloth

Okay, should be in your inbox now.

19. Offline

mughi

it is acting as though something is stopping the various packets that need to go to/from the server to finish a login. You used port FORWARDING on the router, not triggering, right? And did you forward both TCP AND UDP?

I apologize if these seem like semi-insulting questions.. we're running out of things that can be broken.

20. Offline

Astireloth

Yes, forwarding and not triggering. Both of TCP and UDP are open.
    Don't worry, I don't get insulted easily. :cool:

21. Offline

mughi

I'll try harder next time :)

update:

tested with XP client (in browser.. no choice, at work)
    with whitelist enabled, got the expected whitelist denial message.
    with my account added to list, got 'connection lost, end of stream'

i'm not sure where whitelist falls into the network handshake process, but this is starting to sound less like a network issue now.

any ideas on what else could cause this?

@Astireloth ..you have NO plugins, right?

22. Offline

Astireloth

At the moment, I do. But as I said earlier I tried to connect without them. After I saw that the problem didn't go away, I put them back. So should I remove them now?

23. Offline

mughi

yes

i'll try one more time.. then i really should do some work :)

24. Offline

Astireloth

Okay, removed.

25. Offline

mughi

no change. sorry

26. Offline

Astireloth

Actually there is a little change. Server console shows this now:
    Code:
    [SEVERE] java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error
    [SEVERE] at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
    [SEVERE] at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Unknown Source)
    [SEVERE] at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
    [SEVERE] at java.io.DataOutputStream.writeByte(Unknown Source)
    [SEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.Packet33RelEntityMoveLook.a(SourceFile:36)
    [SEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.Packet.a(Packet.java:121)
    [SEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.e(NetworkManager.java:96)
    [SEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.d(NetworkManager.java:230)
    [SEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.NetworkWriterThread.run(SourceFile:90)
    [INFO] xxxxx lost connection: disconnect.endOfStream
    Sorry for the double post, but I tried to connect with Hamachi and it was successful! I'm able to connect to my server with my laptop.

27. Offline

klutch2013

are you computers running windows XP SP3?

28. Offline

Astireloth

Nope. Host machines runs Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 and laptop Windows 7 Ultimate x86

29. Offline

klutch2013

it might be the SP1, try running the server on your laptop and see if that helps.

30. Offline

mughi

not to sound argumentative, but have you seen issues with this in the past, or is this a random shot? (curious because if it is an issue, we'll need to keep that in mind)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.