BukkTuts - Awesome Plugin Tutorials

Discussion in 'Resources' started by drtshock, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

jorisk322

Hey, I'd like a general good practice/optimal IDE usage/project management tutorial (preferably with IntelliJ Idea). One of my big problems is that when I try to work on a bigger project, it always gets very messy over time, which makes it a drag to work on it. Apart from the good practice it wouldn't really be Bukkit-specific, but I find there's a general lack of information on this topic.

2. Offline

drtshock

Like how to set up the IDE, organize code and such? I think that'd be a good one to do alongside a maven tutorial.

3. Offline

jorisk322

Yep, like that. And adding maven would be perfect, because I should get into that as well :p

4. Offline

drtshock

jorisk322 If you don't already use maven then you definitely need to! It makes life so much easier :3

I'll make a tutorial on maven then :)

spoljo666 likes this.
  5. Offline

drtshock

Added a simple tutorial on the Bukkit Scheduler which shows you how to do a basic countdown plugin.

_DSH105_ and jorisk322 like this.
  6. Offline

jorisk322

You now have two video's labeled as nr. 4. You might want to fix that :p

7. Offline

drtshock

8. Offline

Ultimate_n00b

You my good sir, have a lot of programs running.

9. Offline

drtshock

Ultimate_n00b I closed a lot of things out before I started recording lol.

10. Offline

Ultimate_n00b

>_>

11. Offline

Jake230599

drtshock What is the difference between IntelliJ and Eclipse, in your video you used IntelliJ. Do you find one better than the other and why so?

I'm not sure if I should make the transition.

12. Offline

drtshock

I would definitely recommend Intellij over eclipse. Intellij has a nice, dark theme that's easy on the eyes (literally ;)). It also has some awesome code completion that takes a bit to get used to, but is actually quite nice. It also has great maven and git integration which makes things so easy :)

13. Offline

Jake230599

I've always liked the dark theme to be honest. At once I tried to find an easy way to re-skin Eclipse to make it a dark theme because I just thought it looked a hell of a lot better.
    I really appreciate your input!

Edit: drtshock I noticed that there is a free "community" version and a paid "Ultimate" version. Would you recommend I purchase it or download the free version?

drtshock likes this.
  14. Offline

gomeow

Definitely the free version. I don't know what's in the premium one, but the free one is fully featured.

15. Offline

Jake230599

gomeow Thanks, I appreciate the input. I had downloaded the free version now I just need to work it out...

16. Offline

drtshock

Anyone have suggestions for what I could make another video about? I don't really know ;o

17. Offline

Goblom

I think i would like to contribute to this :) I could do a video on how to create GUIs with/without using IconMenu.

18. Offline

viper_monster

drtshock, you said you would make a video on how to use Maven ;P

19. Offline

drtshock

Goblom I don't want to depend on a library like that when it's not difficult to do it without one ;)

spoljo666 I did D: I need to learn it better myself, but I could do a basic setup of a maven project with github.

spoljo666 likes this.
  20. Offline

Goblom

drtshock Then i can do it without IconMenu ;)

True, its not hard without it, but people still have trouble making menus with icons

21. Offline

drtshock

Goblom Looks like you need to join irc ;)

22. Offline

Goblom

drtshock (Now we getting off topic)

I don't really like irc... Its so simple yet so confusing. Ill stick to skype for now

23. Offline

Jake230599

drtshock How about SQLite and MySQL. Video tutorials for those are wide and far. An explanation of how to make the plugin generate the table I would like to see in that.

24. Offline

Jake230599

drtshock So I really like IntelliJ, however I cannot compile. I can't seem to work out how to get the plugin.yml into the compile... :(
    It would seem as soon as I posted I worked out how to compile it with the plugin.yml. ;)

25. Offline

lol768

The map API - drawing images onto maps.

26. Offline

TheCombatCA

Nice tutorials! Really helped :)

27. Offline

dmoney12321

Make intermediate and expert tutorials. And PLEASE make a video explaining event handler and array lists and and advanced stuff like that. Please!! drtshock

And a vid on how to use multiple classes, but that event handler tut would be great!!! drtshock

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  28. Offline

drtshock

TheCombatCA Your signature wouldn't compile ;)

dmoney12321 err advanced stuff like what? The first plugin video has an event handler in it. A video on how to use multiple classes would be a good idea :)

29. Offline

amhokies

I'd be happy to help if you need any. Just let me know. :)

30. Offline

drtshock

Join the irc channel and ping me ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.