BukkTuts - Awesome Plugin Tutorials

Discussion in 'Resources' started by drtshock, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

drtshock

Tirelessly
    evilmidget38 is going to be doing a video on it as he wrote a tutorial in this forum already ;)

The jdocs is a good idea but won't be at the top of the list right now.

2. Offline

gomeow

drtshock and jorisk322 like this.
  3. Offline

evilmidget38

Tirelessly Like drtshock said, I'll be doing a tutorial on serialization and deserialization. I'm not sure what all to cover at this point, but I plan to at least cover the following:
    • Using ConfigurationSerializable classes.
    • Writing your own ConfigurationSerializable class.
    • Saving/loading ConfigurationSerializable to YAML.
    • Saving/loading ConfigurationSerializable to other formats.
    I plan to also introduce topics such as data caching and the importance of using the bukkit api for serialization.

lol768, drtshock and gomeow like this.
  4. Offline

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

It's not a watermark. It's an overlay that links to my channel :p Turn off annotations :D

5. Offline

drtshock

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

We are doing this for fun and not for any of our benefits. Linking to your channel, even if disable-able, is not what we are going for.

6. Offline

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

That's on every video I post automatically. It's only on my YouTube videos. If you were to use it in your videos, that watermark would not show.

7. Offline

drtshock

XD 3VIL M0NKEY
    Oh ok. I'm not an expert on Youtube so I didn't know. We have a few other people that showed interest in making intros so we'll take a vote on whose we like the most. Kinda cool that we have had people express interest in helping already :)

XD 3VIL M0NKEY likes this.
  8. Offline

chaseoes

It's an annotation. Press the [​IMG] button to disable annotations.

tyzoid, lol768 and XD 3VIL M0NKEY like this.
  9. Offline

Me4502

If you need any help, PM me. I know a lot about API sections that most people never touch. Eg, Redstone, Carts, Whole lot about signs and other stuff, Pistons, etc

drtshock likes this.
  10. Offline

gomeow

Get on IRC then

11. Offline

Me4502

I am and always are on IRC.

12. Offline

gomeow

#bukktuts

13. Offline

unenergizer

I wish I knew enough about IRC to join you fellas. Not to be a bother or to ask a million questions but to watch, read, and learn. :)

14. Offline

drtshock

unenergizer I wrote this up for my server staff to get into irc. Keep in mind that you can always just use a web client like one in my signature (maybe only my bukkitdev signature)

EDIT: or this link http://webchat.esper.net/?channels=bukktuts&prompt=1

irc instructions (open)

Instructions:

Download and install mIRC from http://www.mirc.com/get.html

Open it up and click file, servers, then add the server

ip: irc.esper.net
    port: 6667 - not needed because it's default.
    nick: YourName

Click the lightning thing to connect.

You can register your nickname with /msg nickserv register YOURPASSWORD YOUREMAIL

You then will be able to authenticate yourself so we know it's really you :)

Then join the channel #bukktuts by typing /join #bukktuts
    You can do that from any window.

Also /join #drtshock - because it's fun :)

If you have questions, let me know. Hope to see you all there. [/quote]

gomeow likes this.
  15. Offline

Iroh

This looks awesome!

I have no coding skills but I do have graphic design experience if you want anything done I would be happy to help.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  16. Offline

iWareWolf

Tutorial w/Scoreboard please.

17. Offline

drtshock

Working on it but it's a pretty complex and huge API so it will be more than one video ;)

unenergizer and iWareWolf like this.
  18. Offline

unenergizer

Any updates?

19. Offline

iWareWolf

Another suggestion is can you teach us the most efficient way to handle packets?

20. Offline

gomeow

At this point, we don't plan to go outside the API as we don't encourage it.

21. Offline

MrTwiggy

Why's that? Obviously, things become more difficult and it requires more updates and such, but some things are not possible without leaving the Bukkit API, so why would it be discouraged? (Or rather, not encouraged)

22. Offline

Jake230599

I don't think it has been requested but if you could do a tutorial on persistence that'd be great. Especially with things like HashMaps. Making them persist through both server reloads and restarts. I don't think I've seen one decent tutorial out there for persistence.

23. Offline

evilmidget38

The main focus of our tutorials is the Bukkit API. Additionally, we're trying to make tutorials that don't end up being outdated. CB and NMS code can often have renames(NetServerHandler got renamed to PlayerConnection a few versions back), and we just want to keep the tutorials relevant and useful. Furthermore, it's generally agreed on that people should only be using CB and NMS if they're capable of reading obfuscated code and understanding how to use it. We can teach them how to use it, but we can't teach them how to read obfuscated code. That's something that only comes with experience and practice, which will coincidentally also improves their ability to understand and use the code.

Jake230599 I'll make sure to cover how to save Maps when I write some Configuration tutorials.

drtshock likes this.
  24. Offline

Jake230599

evilmidget38 Thanks a lot. I always found that a hard topic to get information on. Seemed to be one of the lesser covered areas although used quite commonly for a lot of tasks.

25. Offline

iWareWolf

gomeow
    Using the ProtocolAPI

26. Offline

Deleted user

Just import the methods?

27. Offline

devilquak

I mean not necessarily to show how to do it correctly, but to also explain why using static references are bad practice, like so many people do when they don't know what they're doing.

28. Offline

gomeow

Static references aren't bd practice when used correctly

29. Offline

devilquak

Of course, but the problem is that people mostly don't use them correctly, and if they keep doing so they can never realize how great it can be to not use them, to actually take advantage of Java's object-oriented nature. Once I started doing that myself, I had a blast just doing all sorts of stuff I never knew I could do when I was just referencing classes with static pointers.

30. Offline

drtshock

I just got back from a weekend away. No exams this week so I should be able to crank out a few tutorials :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.