BukkitDev project "problems"

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by Assist, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I thought I'd post this here, because at the same time this complain is a feedback (kind of).

So I posted a new plugin to BukkitDev a couple hours ago (http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/emailregister/), and I got a message back saying that it requires changes.

This project was not approved because:
    The category "General" does not match the nature of your project and/or its feature set. Suggestion: Admin Tools

True, General might have not been the correct category for this plugin, I just set it to the first one I thought was best when creating the project. I changed the category to Admin Tools, and it got approved. I don't see how Admin Tools has anything to do with this plugin. I wouldn't normally be complaining, but obviously this is going to decrease the potential popularity of this plugin, that's the only category where it can be found. I attempted to send him/her a private message asking why such thing is happening, but I haven't gotten an answer yet.

I'm not going to address the one who thought this would be correct (because that's unnecessary), but if he/she ever sees this thread, please tell me where I went wrong.

2. Offline

Gravity

The bottom line is that General is for plugins which provide a whole host of features -- one that could belong in all of the categories, or none of them at all. That category does not apply to your plugin.
    Aside from that rule, as long as your plugin could fit within the category you have selected, it's going to be accepted. I can see how Admin Tools would fit your plugin.
    Feel free to add categories that apply, but don't add general, as it doesn't. That's all we ask! Thanks!

3. Gravity
    As I already told the one who complained about the category, I can't see how Admin Tools has much relation to this plugin. I'm sure you already know the description of the category, but take a look at it.

Administrative tools provide new commands and abilities for the owners of a server to do their job easier and faster.

Only relation I can think of is that the server managers get the players' email addresses for e.g. sending information about server updates. Miscellaneous seems to fit the best for this one, though I was quite surprised that there's no good category for a plugin like this. General was the first one that came in my mind when looking at the categories (without reading their description).

I can't think of a situation where if one is looking for a plugin like this, they're going to search it from the Admin Tools category.

Thanks for the reply, I'll make sure to keep this information in mind when/if I post another plugin.

4. Offline

lycano

Assist try to see it from the other side

General - Some plugins provide a whole range of functionality they don't even know how to start listing it off. You can find those mega-plugins here which may upgrade your game into something new.

Ask yourself a question: "Does this plugin upgrade the game into something new?" Clearly registering yourself via mail is not gamechanging that can be declared as "woha, this changes the game a lot"

If someone is going to look for a plugin then they normally use the search bar and use "email register" or whatever. Picking the right category is crutial when browsing through the plugin pages. Thats why everyone has to use the correct tag =)

5. Offline

Gravity

Assist If you feel you can better describe your plugin with different categories, please feel free to do so. Categories are mainly up to you, and as long as their generally apply to your plugin, they're going to be accepted. You're right that there's not a specific category for what you have, but it can be described by a few others - all the staff member has done is tell you that general is not okay to use, but your current selection will do. If you want to change it up, go ahead and check back with us.

6. lycano
    If you read the OP, you notice that I also agreed with the statement of General not being the correct/fitting category for this plugin. It's true that they're most probably just going to use the search function rather than scrolling through a category in the hopes of finding what they're looking for, but categories do still make a difference.

Thanks for the replies Gravity and lycano

7. Offline

ZachBora

Just wanted to note here that categories is a big part of the Curse website when finding plugins. Not as much on bukkitdev. The curse website shows the top downloads in each categories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.