Bukkit vs. Mac Os X

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by dreadu, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

dreadu

Does anyone tried using Bukkit on Mac Os X? I've installed it step by step with documentation and it works, by whenever player try to use any ingame command, server stops. It don't need to be a whole command, only "/" crushes it. I've tried 2 builds, latest and 75 i think. Also i've tried standard version of minecraft, and it works fine. I'm using Mac Os X 10.5.2, java is up to date. Clean OS installation. Any ideas?

2. Offline

TheSwig

I am having this same problem, has anyone with mac Os X gotten this to work?

3. Offline

Astrognome

Mine is working fine. maybe delete the server stuff and make a shell script with this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    cd "`dirname "$0"`"
    curl -O http://artifacts.lukegb.com/artifactory/plugins-snapshot/org/bukkit/craftbukkit/0.0.1-SNAPSHOT/craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    mv craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar craftbukkit.jar
    java -Xmx1G -Xms1G -jar craftbukkit.jar
    Whenever you run this, it updates Bukkit, and runs it with one gb of ram. Maybe it'll help?

4. Offline

TheSwig

Okay I made a new folder on my desktop, made the above script, ran it and it started up the server, everything looked right. I opped myself form the terminal and then tried /give theswig 1 64 and again the server just saves chunks and stops...is there anything I am not doing or something i need to set?

5. Offline

Astrognome

hmmm... not sure. Is it an online server? I had a problem where commands didn't work offline.

6. Offline

TheSwig

yup its online, i can use commands in terminal but not from the game itself :(

7. Offline

Astrognome

hmmm... Have you restarted your comp? If that doesn't work, then you can use the terminal. It probably won't take long to get fixed. And with my fancy auto update script, you won't have to manually retrieve it. Anyway... just try again every day or so. They have daily releases.

8. Offline

TheSwig

Yes I tried restarting it, I was able to boot my macbook into windows and run the server there and now it works however it is VERY laggy, probably due to some of the issues with running windows on a mac, however I do hope this issue is realized by someone in charge and they fix it for mac ASAP :D

9. Offline

dreadu

Nice script to get bukkit up to date Astrognome :). I've tried rebooting, not working yet. Looks like we must to wait.

10. Offline

Valrix

I've had mine run just fine, especially when run on a ramdisk. I always use the newest build of CraftBukkit and Bukkit by using Git and pulling both, installing Bukkit into the CraftBukkit repo, then build it with Maven.

11. Offline

dreadu

I've tried running it on ramdisk, still the same problem. Using craftbukkit.

12. Offline

Valrix

What's the error that you're getting when you run it? I should probably do a bit more testing on mine, but from what I've done it runs just fine. When I get home I'll start it up with a few plugins and play around with commands. Also make sure you're using an updated version since they do updates to it every day. If anyone would like my latest builds, in case they think it may be due to their's acting up, you can get it here: CraftBukkit It's only one commit behind and will be updated in about an hour.

13. Offline

klaern

Vanilla commands on a CB server in game are /#command not /command. Perhaps that's why they're not working in game?

And to add to this discussion, I've been running Craftbukkit on a mac (10.6) without problems. Of note, I couldn't run Vanilla MC Server on 10.4. Nothing could connect to it because of the lack of updated Java on 10.4.

For trouble shootings sake, are you trying to run it without any plugins? Perhaps one is to blame?

14. Offline

dreadu

Clean bukkit, no plugins. Tried like 5 versions now (found some in plugins topics). Anything started with "/", or only "/" normally stops server. No errors, only saving and logout.

15. Offline

Valrix

It seems to run just fine for me. Make sure you're OP then try /#help. No crashing or any other problems and I'm running OS X 10.6.6

16. Offline

TheSwig

Man I'm with you dreadu, same exact problem. No errors, no plugins. It starts up and runs I can build and chat and do pretty much everything but as soon as i type anything with a /, even just / ingame the server saves chunks and stops as if i typed stop in the terminal.

17. Offline

dreadu

18. Offline

Valrix

Could it be something wrong with your version of Java?

19. Offline

UltraAccel

I've had this same problem since the day I started my server and I have gone up and down the web looking for a solve to this exact issue, but to no avail. I have no idea why this is happening, but from this post, it seems like I'm not the only one this is happening to. I'd love it if someone could solve this!
    --- merged: Jan 27, 2011 9:43 PM ---
    Wow... Immediately after making my last post, I looked a few pages down in the forums and saw someone had a fix for this issue:
    INSTALL SNOW LEOPARD!
    I'n definitely going to try that tonight and see if that works.

20. Offline

Valrix

Snow Leopard would definitely help since it's an x64 system and that would increase data transfer speeds. That's what I run it on and like I said, it runs just fine. If I had better hardware it would run like a dream, but I have to wait a while for that, haha.

21. Offline

UltraAccel

I just installed Snow Leopard and
    ALL OF THE COMMANDS WORK GUYS DO IT ITS AWESOME
    So that's the fix!

22. Offline

TnT

Its entirely due to how Apple bundles Java with their OS. They changed how things work in Snow Leopard.

23. Offline

dreadu

Yeah, it works ;). Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.