Bukkit sends chunks SLOW?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by PeppeJ, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

PeppeJ

Hello, I'm having what I think is a problem where bukkit sends the chunks to people really slow. Compared to the normal Minecraft server (standard, no mods, wrappers etc), just wondering if there is a solution to this or if it was made this way?
    I have been using SimpleServer before and that worked fine, only that I like Bukkit more because of the plugins. The only way I've been able to solve this is if I use SimpleServer with Bukkit, however this creates and awful lot of errors and conflicts.
    Help anyone?

While I was writing this I was disconnected for the reason "disconnected.overflow". Which I assume comes hand in hand with this error.

EDIT:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are some images of what I get when joining the server, as you see this isn't playable, and by now I've also let it load for some 30 seconds.

System specifications:
    Code:
    Operating System: Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790) Service Pack 2
    Processor: Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2387 (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Java: 1.6.0_24
    Bukkit: git-Bukkit-0.0.0-706-gf53e007-b740jnks
    Connection: 30/30 mbit Down/Up
    Bumping this in hope of an answer...

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  2. Offline

mindless728

what are the HDD"s that minecraft is on as they could be either 1) slow enough to cause this (happens on my laptop) 2) overloaded doing other tasks (which is easy to do with a mechanical drive)

3. Offline

PeppeJ

I doubt it would be the HDD's since it runs perfectly fine vanilla and with SimpleServer
    I don't have details on the HDD but I'll start digging to find some.

4. Offline

mindless728

Hmm, then i wouldn't think that is the issue, the only thing left is that something is a bit different internally that is causing this

5. Offline

CptTwinklez

This has been happening to me as well, mainly since I updated to RB#740. I have to be on a chunk for it to load, and I can't load fully without waiting 2-3 minutes. Could it be a problem in the build?

6. Offline

PeppeJ

Bump for more helpful answers

7. Offline

Phaedrus

I've noticed this as well ever since the 500 builds I think. Missing chunks after a warp/tp/login/spawn etc

I find that disconnecting and reconnecting reloads the chunks properly every time.

8. Offline

CptTwinklez

That's not what's going on with me, the chunks are just loading reaallly slow :/

9. Offline

Phaedrus

Well if I let it sit there for 3 minutes it would load the chunks too. I just disconnect and reconnect instead and the chunks are there. It's the same problem.

10. Offline

EvilSeph

Your world is on fire in those screenshots - this causes overflows and end of streams. Please extinguish the fire and report back if you still have the issue or not.

11. Offline

Phaedrus

Good catch. What about my issue of missing chunks though. No fire there.

12. Offline

Kainzo

I can actually say I've seen the missing chunk thing happen at least 3 times on my main map after 1.5

13. Offline

AgentKid

Just wondering, can you try to relog while there? If, when you log in, all the chunks load really quickly like they are supposed to, then we can probably rule out a slow HDD and similar things. If you log in and just stand in the void for a little while, then the world starts loading slowly, then it's probably just really bad lag, possibly caused by a plugin. Which plugins are you using?

14. Offline

PeppeJ

Will do.

Seen it too, its Notch, not bukkit.

I'm 100% sure its not the HDD as it works fine without Bukkit, also that was raw, no plugins or anything. Just Bukkit.

Also continuing the 'HDD might be the problem', like I stated several times, It's not, I have used Bukkit through SimpleServer and it works fine, however if I run it alone it just doesn't send the chunks properly and I get severe lag (break block, takes 1 minute before it realises it's broken).
    The reason I do not want to use it through SimpleServer is because it causes conflict in a lot of bukkit plugins.
    And it errors in such a way that I can't use the console commands for standard minecraft (it ignores if I try /save, /op etc).

Update:
    Note: If not specified otherwise, the world is a working one, without any plugins.
    Right I've done a couple of things as of testing,
    • I have tried using the current world using ONLY bukkit, it sends the chunks very slow (about 1 per second) or not at all, when I destroy a block there's a ~45 Second delay before the drop-block becomes visible and I can pick it up.
    • I've also tried using the standard Minecraft server. Worked like a charm, proper sending chunks (7-15 a sec) etc.
    • I've tried using SimpleServer+Bukkit, This also worked like a charm.
    • I've used SimpleServer+Bukkit AND plugins, No problems.

So there's something with Bukkit running on its own that doesn't want to work. I've tried allocating more memory (2 & 3 gb) but when I do that it simply closes down instantly on start-up. (It's at 1gb atm).

So as far as this I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Problem wise I'd say its software, NOT hardware.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  15. Offline

AgentKid

@PeppeJ Server running on your local machine?

16. Offline

PeppeJ

@AgentKid Nope it's on a dedicated server.

17. Offline

PeppeJ

No solutions or ideas what might cause this then ? :(

18. Offline

Fohdeesha

Having the same "issue". Ever since MC 1.5, chunks are sent sooo much slower, almost like bukkit is placing a cap on the bandwidth used to send data. I could fly around and see land for miles, now with the 1.5 and higher builds I can sit there and watch it load chunks every second or so, very slowly. The server is a quadcore xeon dedicated box with a 1gbps line to multiple carriers, it is not the problem. As other have said, previous builds of bukkit and vanilla do not have this issue. Whats going on guys? Did you place a cap on the chunk send speed/bandwidth? Also, it seems to only load what's somewhat close to you. I can go up and see for a little while then it drops off to nothing. It's almost as if my render distance has been lowered, but it hasn't. Have you changed the radius/distance in which you send chunk data to players?

Edit: not sure where else to post this, but your builds after 755 constantly throw [SEVERE] server can't keep up messages, while barely using any available cpu. build 755 works perfect however. I know none of those are recommended builds, but I don't know where else I can communicate this information to you. You need a "bukkit builds discussion" forum or something, heh

19. Offline

TnT

Have you tried build 759? Its not recommended, but handles chunks a little better.

Also, did you do as EvilSeph asked and removed the fires? You've got the attention of one of the devs of the project - so make the most of it.

20. Offline

Fohdeesha

@EvilSeph @TnT

Tried 759, chunks are loading at the exact same speed. I can actually run in one direction faster than the server will send new chunks and be running on thin air. Never been able to do that before. These are parts of the map that already exist, it's not having to generate new terrain or anything. Not that I ever had a problem with the speed of terrain generation either. Bukkit is definitely not sending as high of a radius of chunks as it used to either, with render ditsance set to far I can definitely see where it felt like it doesn't need to load anymore chunks.

What gives? it's like the server is on dialup. cpu usage hovers around 6%, which is usual. It's not like it's running out of headroom to operate - bandwidth, memory, or cpu wise.

21. Offline

Nathan C

Yep, noticed this too.

Server is running fine, same with connection on both client and server.

740 is just slow..
    Although, it really doesn't matter. I only notice slow chunk loading, when I am fly hacking across the map.

22. Offline

PeppeJ

What @Fohdeesha says is exactly what I'm having, I have tried removing the fire as @EvilSeph said but no different.

23. Offline

EvilSeph

How many people do you have on when you notice these issues?

24. Offline

Fohdeesha

@EvilSeph - Thanks for the reply! It doesn't seem to matter. I've tested and if I am the only person in the server, the speeds are the exact same as when we have around 9 in. I'm not the only person noticing it, most of the regulars mentioned that loading seems to be "slower" since the 1.5 update. When we peak around 9-12 players in the evening cpu usage is only around 20% and ram is nowhere near the limit. I also know it's definitely not a disk issue as well

25. Offline

EvilSeph

@Fohdeesha @PeppeJ

Try as I might, I am unable to reproduce these issues on our linux test server with just myself on, with 3 people on..at all. What kind of network are you guys running on? Peppe's looks like a home network, if I'm not mistaken.

26. Offline

PeppeJ

@EvilSeph not a home network, both speeds are at 30mbps, which might not be the best for a server but it is more than enough for a MC server imo. The Server is running on a dedicated server which is kept alive through donations through my clan, refer to first post for details on computer.

27. Offline

EvilSeph

I'm not referring to speeds. I'm more concerned about the quality of the backbone.

28. Offline

Fohdeesha

@EvilSeph - My server is in a datacenter in chicago, on a 1gbps line to several carriers. (edit: re:backbone quality - the box is in Steadfasts Cermak building, arguably the best datacenter in the midwest. They're peered with every carrier running through the state) I ping around 15ms to the box, bandwidth has never been a problem. Here at home my connection is a 10mbps down 1.5 up. Monitoring my routers throughput while playing minecraft, it pushes maybe 50kbps incoming while loading chunks. It seems to be a 100% bukkit issue, I don't have bandwidth problems with any other application on the box, or versions of bukkit previous to the 1.5 update. Could it be a general issue with the code in 1.5? I suppose I could see if the problem remains on a vanilla jar. How is the code regarding chunk loading handled? Do you specify the radius of chunks to be loaded around a player, or the bandwidth/speed allotment to send the chunks over the network? Did you guys or notch change any of this when the game went up to 1.5?

What size world did you test with? Ours maybe is around 250mb, but I suppose size shouldn't matter as it's only loading the chunks needed. It just seems the bukkit has started to specify a lot less chunks surrounding you as "needed"

29. Offline

Fohdeesha

30. Offline

pixelbat

Also having very slow chunk loading. Never had this problem pre-1.5. Feels like it's getting worse and worse. I get it whether there is 1 person on or 20 people on. If I copy the world over to a vanilla server, it runs smooth, no problems. Also have had 3 permanent chunk errors too since 1.5, had to fill them with Worldedit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.