Bukkit Logging plugins?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by IVI4tt, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

IVI4tt

Finding my server logs unmanageable (I don't feel like downloading a 10MB txt file every day, thanks) and a lack of decent logging plugins I decided to code my own.
    I perused the source code of CraftBukkit for some explanation of the logging and found none.

How does Bukkit log things? I just want to do some simple changes to it (eg. each new day has a new log; layout changes) but it seems pretty hard.

2. Offline

madcap

Might just be easier to handle this at the OS level. Some shell scripting would probably be quick and easy. Cron a job to restart your server daily. While it's shutdown, copy the log into a dated file.

If you're using windows... that may not be an option.

3. Offline

Sammy

The problem is not the way minecraft logs in my opinion (it uses a normal Logger class from Java, I think), the problem is that many plugin developers use the logger too much, for things that doesn't really matter for server owners... that's what makes the log unreadble, IMO.

Maybe making a little java app that reads the log splits it by day and filters those type Exceptions that really don't matter for a server admin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.