Bukkit destroying chunks of my world

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by LucidLethargy, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

LucidLethargy

This has been stated a few times by others, but as I can't find those threads now, and as I just experienced it for myself, I will post a new thread on it.

Chunks of my world are being slowly destroyed by Bukkit as chunks are being replaced by their original state. I am heavily considering the removal of Bukkit from my server despite the fact we rely on over 22 different plugins. This can and will ruin this entire project if the staff of Bukkit can't fix this very serious problem.

Seriously, you could not have a worse problem on your hand... if it doesn't work that's one thing, but ruining/corrupting our worlds will send us running from this wrapper. Not okay guys, you need a stable release of bukkit and a developer build to catch these things so we aren't paying for your mistakes.

2. Offline

TnT

What plugins are you running?

3. Offline

LucidLethargy

I have an easy to read list right here complete with versions of bukkit and all plugins:

http://www.paradigne.com/index.php/details/

I will put that into text and post it in just a few seconds as an edit though, which simply lists them all out without extra information.

Bukkit Version: 166/345 (last night's build)

Plugins: MilkAdmin, Essentials (lots of problems with this one recently), Permissions, iConomy, RepairShop, SimpleShop, iConomyChestShop, iMonster, LWC, Wormhole Xtreme, WorldEdit, Worldguard, Multiverse, Towny, War, LoginMessage, MoveCraft

Most Recent Plugins: MilkAdmin, LWC, iConomyChestShop

Extra Information: I attempted an update to the newest Bukkit an hour ago and it broke a lot of my plugins, so I reverted... in case this is important.

4. Offline

TnT

I would suggest trying to remove them all and see if your world is still corrupting. It could be one of the plugins doing it.

5. Offline

LucidLethargy

From what I have heard this is a documented problem of Bukkit, not plugin - let me see if I can find the bug report on Bukkit...

Either way, turning all my plugins off wont help much, I only noticed this problem today, but I connected the dots and I now know this has happened before. I used to get odd chunks of land on parts of the map nobody has explored, I am almost certain this is related. This has happened for a week or two now, but only just now did it take away the center of my most complex creation.

In other words... I may think the problem is gone after uninstalling my plugins, but it's nearly impossible to tell if it doesn't replace the chunks of something I am watching daily.

6. Offline

Padeius Etoh

go here which is b325 and down load the craftbukkit jar and quit updating every 5 minutes, this build works pretty well it has a couple of problems but it wont ruin your map.

then load one of your backup maps that isnt ruined and play minecraft.

7. Offline

LucidLethargy

So you say "quit updating every 5 minutes" but the fact of the matter is (unless i'm mistaken, in which case absolutely correct me) that Bukkit doesn't have anything stating different versions as "stable" or "unstable". Only "failed" sometimes shows us, which has never happened to anything I have downloaded. I stay on the bleeding edge and up until now this has only benefited me as bugs have been fixed with each new version, and with 22+ plugins there's generally at least one that requires a new version along the way, and that update is almost always fixing "crucial" errors.

Furthermore... your wrong to think that 325 does not have this problem. I have experienced issues since around 271-300 of this nature (since multiworld,) however those issues show up in the form of random pieces of map generating outside of the explored zones (probably more, but those were the only ones I noticed.) Now if you have some sort of proof that 325 wont interrupt already present zones, then I'd say show it so myself and those interested in this problem don't have to worry.

Either way this issue is a serious one that has caused me a good 2 hours of work to repair (and I got lucky.) To wave it off as a fault for staying on the bleeding edge is silly when so many plugins conform to the LATEST version of bukkit before releasing a new update. Also, I'm not sure if your actually an admin of a server or not, but simply "loading one of your backups" isn't exactly the easiest thing when your not sure which of your 30 backups has the solution. There's also the larger issue of my players adding on additions while this took place. There is seldom a time when I don't have people on, so after updates people flock back in and continue their pursuits.

In this sitaution I got VERY lucky as nobody was online during the time it took place, but that does not absolve the seriousness of this issue. On that note, however, I can say that this did happen when I attempted to update. This may mean the problem has to do with the saving mechanism, rather than some plugin interrupting things during gameplay.

All in all, I would love to still see "development" builds and "stable" builds seperated, and I would love for plugin authors to conform to only the stable builds. Unfortunately, I don't think the Bukkit staff will do this... so I can only report my issues in as much detail as possible. If anyone needs this repeated on another bug reporting area I will do so for the sake of a better Bukkit tomorrow.

All in all, Bukkit has come a long way and has been VERY stable for it's nature... with a little extra attention to what I stated above I think it can be used without worry... until then me and most other admins who take the risk will be worrying about the safety of our little online universes. I'm quite sure we will all survive, albeit a little grumpily or with vanilla for a few weeks.

8. Offline

Dra7

I have the same problem in my server and its crippling my users. Chunks have been missing and new chunks have been forming in their houses. I've noticed though that this is only when my server ends really arbuptly, like if my power goes out or my computer shouts down very suddenly

Is there any fix to this issue?

9. Offline

tee jay

I'm fairly sure this is an issue with Minecraft, not the Bukkit mod. A number of people have complained about this on the official forums.

10. Offline

Dra7

Disagree, never happened in hMod 133 or even the 134 alpha

11. Offline

Padeius Etoh

I apoligize if my post sounded snarky, i have noticed extra chunks showing up off the edge of the map on a couple of my servers since I updated from b141. The reason i suggested b325 was it has not ruined any of my 5 server maps that i have been running since i upgraded last week. Proof of that is in the map runs located on my website, I totally understand the problems with implementing a backup and having to say to my players so sorry but it seems bukkit fucked us up and I had to revert to a backup, and also trying to find a back up that is also not corrupted. That is why we keep back ups so when something goes wrong we can at least fix it and move on.

Plugins devs really have not been able to keep up with the changes made to bukkit, I went to b325 after zenexer recommended it as a stable build, I then put a package together and it seemed to work so that is why I recommended it. Now of course they don't like the way zenexer is doing his plugin's so bukkit is spamming our console with messages about his format or something.

They are not going to run a stable v dev build system not sure why but they seem resistant to that concept, they seem to think that they are actually going to be able to release something, of course, mojang has not licensed them and is coming out with a new release next week which will more than likely break bukkit and all the plugins. So then of course we all get to run vanilla until bukkit fixes themselves and then get to start the will this build fix something or break something guessing game all over again. But such is the life of a server owner. But hey we have multiworld, sort of, that ruins our maps and makes our life miserable, but we have multiworld, sort of. The funny part of that is I don't really want multiworld, but hey we have multiworld built into bukkit.

Bukkit is really the only game in town until notch gets an api out then we will see what happens, not that notch is any better or worse than the bukkit guys. Any way I seem to be rambling, I feel your pain, that is why I suggested trying b325, if you want to keep updating and taking the chance nothing I can do about that, so good luck and sorry about your map.

12. Offline

Dra7

b325 still rendered chunks on my map [​IMG]

13. Offline

TnT

While there can definitely be builds that cause problems, generally the issues have been with plugins, not builds (although I do remember a couple builds that did cause world corruption). Check the plugins first, then check the server.

CraftBukkit/Bukkit is still in development, and problems can arise. Due diligence still needs to be done to identify where the problems occur.

14. Offline

h0us3cat

Same happens with my server with no plugins installed.

15. Offline

TnT

I haven't seen it myself in quite a few builds @h0us3cat. What build are you running?

16. Offline

h0us3cat

good qeustion, a build that does not show the version if i do /version [​IMG]
    But i updated it yesterday around 19.00 gmt+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.