Bukkit API Benefits

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by CMarco, Mar 13, 2024.

1. Offline

CMarco

Good evening dear Bukkit Staff members,

I have developed a lot of plugins in the last years, and I recently realised that for the majority of them I'm not really using any minecraft dependency outside of bukkit packages.

Therefore I would ask here, what are the benefits and cons of moving all my projects to only import the Bukkt API?

I'm considering moving over 40 of them here if I receive positive feedback about it.

Will there be real compatibility or performance benefits from doing so?

Thanks,
    ~ CMarco.

2. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@CMarco It is an API, you don't need to change much when the game updates.
    I still have functioning plugins made in 2014.

3. Offline

KathleenCampos

Hm. Bukkit API will make it easier to manage dependencies in your projects, since you will no longer have to keep track of updates to external libraries or Minecraft dependencies. Plugins that only use the Bukkit API may be more compatible with different versions of Minecraft since they're less dependent on changes to the game itself.
    Try reducing the number of dependencies to improve the performance of your plugin since it will have less code to load and execute.
    Disadvantages: Using only the bukkit api may limit the functionality of your plugins, I guess

4. Offline

lecreep

Works on bukkit, works on sipìgot, works on paper and...
    Not having to worry about your plugins exploding with every Minecraft update, knowing that you haven't created unit tests for stinky plugins, is quality of life