Brand new to SQL. How can I set up my macbook to develop plugins using it? (Complete noob)

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Tecno_Wizard, Sep 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

I think the title gets a lot of it. I want to try and use SQL in my newest plugin. I have NEVER used SQL before and there's no better time to learn how to do something.

How can I set up my macbook to play around with SQL in a MC context? I am a broke college student, so I'm not paying anything. Lol.

2. bwfcwalshy likes this.
  3. @Tecno_Wizard You can also install PhpMyAdmin which is a database management tool. You just have that on a local web server and you can very easily create and manage your database. It also gives you the ability to export so that others can easily get the same data structure or so you can get the SQL statements needed to create it in your plugin.

If you ever need help with SQL just let me know ;)

4. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@bwfcwalshy database management system is native in intellij, . I just needed some advice on setting it up. I saw something called MAMP when I looked around last night?

5. @Tecno_Wizard IntelliJ sucks :p

What do you need to setup? The database or MySQL itself?

6. Offline

ArsenArsen

WAMP or LAMP and then just add the source to IntelliJ. It is fast and simple, for non production cases

I guess MAMP is Mac doe

7. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@ArsenArsen MAMP is the mac version of WAMP and linux of LAMP. Same thing.

Thanks guys. I'll continue here if I run into any issues.

8. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 10.29.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 10.29.45 PM.png @bwfcwalshy I am unable to log in using any sort of client that isn't provided by the "server in a box" platform MAMP is. (CommandLine and PhpMyAdmin) even when using the provided logins.

EDIT: Whoops. Not sure how I double posted there. I'll wait for tim's bot i guess.

9. Offline

mythbusterma

@Tecno_Wizard

Just remove everything you've installed already.

Don't use MAMP, you're not running a web server. Don't use PHPMyAdmin, you're not a plebeian.

Download and run the actual MySQL server from here. After running the set up, you're going to have to configure it with a username and password. My guess is that the .dmg installer will walk you through this, so I recommend that. Make sure to remember this password (just leaving it "test" is fine, as it's usually firewalled off from the outside), and give this combination to IntelliJ. When installing the server, you will have the option to install the command line client, install this. This is the only tool you will need to administrate the server.

Threads on MySQL on this forum never cease to amaze me in the amount of bad advise given out.

10. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

11. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

This is what I did the first time. Same result. I wasn't allowed to set the password and it's default value wasn't working.

EDIT: when i thought things couldnt get any stranger...

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 9.13.24 AM.png

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  12. Offline

mythbusterma

@Tecno_Wizard

Your issue is that the password is wrong, no matter what you use to access the server, you're going to get that error.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't have had that work, but I would recommend reinstalling the server, and making sure you set the password (also, avoid PHPMyAdmin).

13. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@mythbusterma that's the issue. The default password i'm given by the MySQL installer doesn't work and I'm not given the option to set it during the install; I've tried twice now (reinstalled). I did get it working through MAMP though.

14. Offline

mythbusterma

15. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@mythbusterma not trying to resist the better alternative, but i'll use what seems to work.

Anyone have any good SQL tutorial links? I'm not in a rush.

16. Offline

Zombie_Striker

@Tecno_Wizard
    I would trust Derek Banas's SQL tutorial if you want to learn about the basics of SQL.

17. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@Zombie_Striker, great. I'll watch that later today. I have the calc assignment from hell to finish right now.

18. Offline

mythbusterma

@Tecno_Wizard

There's the SQL zoo that has some good text based lessons as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.