Best Way To Communicate With Website

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by cfil360, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

cfil360

I am trying to determine the best way to communicate data to a website from my bukkit server. I know how to use sql, but i was wondering if there is something more efficient. Using SQL for every different minigame plugin and logger on a network might be too much traffic?(Not entirely sure about this, i have never done anything this big).

2. Offline

Skionz

@cfil360 You could send a POST request to your website with all of your data and handle it with PHP.

3. Offline

cfil360

4. @cfil360

5. Offline

cfil360

@bwfcwalshy I was just wondering if there were any other options and maybe explanations of how or why it's more or less efficient.

6. Offline

sablednah

I think we need more information.

What data? How often does the data change?

I suspect you are talking about leaderboards and such. In which case storing data in database is by far the best way. Not only for efficiency - but also that way the game server isn't help up answering data requests from the website.

Your other options are writing the data to text files (or xml/yaml/some other format) and reading by php. Or having your server respond to a request from the website - probably returning JSON. This way is way to complex for most and involves basically running a mini webserver inside your MC server.

Just go with a database - there;s a reason almost all sites use one.

cfil360 likes this.
  7. Offline

cfil360

@sablednah thanks. That's the type of response I was asking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.