Best permissions plugin?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by edragy, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

edragy

I am currently using Essentials Group Manager for permissions, but it's a bit buggy. Could someone please recommend a permissions plugin for me?

2. Offline

lokpique

PEX or bPermissions are both great.

It all comes down to which one you prefer the config file format of. I'm using PEX and have never even had a hint of issues with it. Works awesomely, and anybody who uses bPerms will tell you the same thing.

I have tried Group Manager a few times, but it always felt like I was constantly poking it with a stick to make it do what I wanted... never had that issue with PermissionsEx.

3. Offline

edragy

Is there a convertor for my current permission files?

4. Offline

lokpique

I'm honestly not sure if there is one. Is your permissions file extensive? It might just be easy enough to copy and paste it and make the changes by hand. (This is also a good way to get buffed up on how to code the file too!)

5. Offline

edragy

I've gone with PEX, and rewritten the permission file. Very happy with PEX so far

6. Offline

Necrodoom

GM isnt buggy, did you checked your permissions against globalgroups.yml?

7. Offline

lokpique

It used to be. Well mostly at least... more like very picky. I haven't used it in a while as a result of the first experiences.

Once i realized PEX only uses one config file... and is far easier to work with... the choice was clear.

8. Offline

Necrodoom

it isnt picky, most of the time someone says that i find out they dont read documation and put permission nodes in inheritance.

9. Offline

number1_Master

bPermissions ftw!!!

10. Offline

Omnitv

Ok here are some options
    PermissionsEX (has bugs in their latest build)
    bPermissions (simple yet elegant.)
    Essentials Group Manager

There is one more that mbaxter keeps telling me I just keep forgetting.

11. Offline

Necrodoom

privileges, i think, also simplyperms and zpermissons exist.

12. Offline

Milkywayz

Privileges? :3

13. Offline

zengxii

Can i ask how to have a domain server like yours?

14. Offline

tsuna25

It is.Well its not the best and I had a HUGE problem with heroes.It was to buggy that I had to switch.

15. Offline

Necrodoom

getting no such problems. can you describe the errors and paste files?

16. Came here just to say Pex. It's easy to config on the fly and simple to set up.

17. Offline

lokpique

Actually the picky part came when it wasn't consistent in how it handled .* extensions. Some of them required quotes around them to work, some didn't. Diagnosing it was more problems than it was worth, and as a result of that I abandoned it a long time ago.

I love how often you assume people are idiots.

18. Offline

Necrodoom

they never need quotes unless its - '*'. exactly like PEX.

19. Offline

lokpique

Yes, that is the case now. When I used group manager... it most definitely wasn't.

But everyone is stupid except for you :)

20. Offline

Necrodoom

it was never the case?

21. Offline

lokpique

I'll see if I can find my old backups. Would be easier to just send you one and you could play with it yourself to see what I mean.

22. Offline

Necrodoom

sure, id like to test that.

23. Offline

tsuna25

I use Pex now,but the error was the classes kept reseting and when you spawn you die.

24. Offline

codename_B

To import from groupmanager to bPermissions just run "/permissions import gm"

25. Offline

bastion

Pex used to be really good, I have found now that Vanish No Packet and PEx will never get along, mbaxter seems to hate pex which is fine, but vanish will not work correctly with pex so if you are looking at a new permissions plugin you pretty much have to go with bpermissions although no offence to codename_b it can be rather difficult to set up bpermissions, due to a lack of a global permission and from what i understand they do not do world protections like modifyworld or anti build as a built in feature.

26. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

VanishNoPacket works fine with PEX. I don't hate it, I just know it's a broken plugin that breaks several other plugins (luckily, VNP seems unscathed) and thus advise people get off it quickly.

bastion likes this.
  27. Offline

bastion

I meant no disrespect to you mbaxter by using you as an example and prolly should not have used the word hate, I was having a bad morning with all the problems I am having related to this upgrade. PEX is broken, and the announce features of VNP just do not seem to want to work with PEX. They do work with bperms and yapp, I did not bring it up to you on your dev thread mainly because I do not think there is anything you can do about it. pex and vnp have had problems getting along since I started using vnp, it is not meant as a disparagement of vnp but of pex and the lack of work the pex dev has put into his widely used plugin. It is sad really because pex used to be the most feature rich of the perm plugins but with it being so broken the features no longer outweigh the problems. it is just sad.

28. Offline

ThornRage

I am using PermissionsBukkit. Would it be advantageous to change over to bpermissions. If the answer is yes, is there a converter?

Thank you.

If it helps, here is my list of plugins:
    AntiPortal
    AntiXRay
    AZRank
    BioMan
    BlackSmith
    BorderGuard
    BOSEconomy
    ChestShop
    Citizens
    CommandBook