Best CPU for Minecraft - i7 2600K vs XEON E3 1230

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by pacmanjones, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

pacmanjones

I'll be buying a new CPU for my server soon, and was wondering which one of the following is the best for minecraft:

i7 2600K
    Intel Xeon E3-1230

These are the CPUs I've heard most about (in terms of Minecraft Hosting). I used to be quite up to date with CPUs but recently not so much. If you would like to recommend any other CPUs please do, but I would prefer if you kept it Intel.

Yes, I've read threads like this, but I really want a minecraft/bukkit perspective; most of the threads on i7 vs Xeon E3 are by people who do a lot of video rendering / editing etc.

2. Offline

mindless728

I would go for the Xeon iff you go with a workstation/server board as you will get more functionality from a server board and the 200MHz difference won't even matter. The only upside for the i7 is if you go with a high end consumer board you would be able to overclock the crap out of it.

all in all i run my server off of an Athlon II X2 atm and it works fine (20-30 people at a time), though is going to be upgraded when my main desktop gets the FX-8150

3. Offline

sukosevato

Get the i7 2600k and overclock it to 4.5 - 5.0 Ghz.

It'll be a ton faster then the Xeon.

If you don't intend to overclock, then go for the xeon and get a server motherboard so you can use ECC / Registered ram.

4. Offline

ledhead900

Don't the Xeon have have more cache ?, Otherwise the I7 and get board that supports its turbo overclock that will make it 6ghz.

5. Offline

pacmanjones

If I got the Xeon 1230, why not the 1270?

Also, what would be a good motherboard for the Xeon? I need one able to handle a lot of RAM and upgrades. Would this be good or would I need something more expensive?

What if I chose the i7?

6. Offline

poiuyt580

Xeon 1270 is better than the Xeon 1230 in terms of clock speed, but the price to clock speed ratio is higher for the 1230.

7. Offline

Switch0r

Do you have it overclocked and like how much?

8. Offline

h0us3cat

Is the xeon w3520 good?

9. Offline

pacmanjones

What about E3 1270 v i7 2600K? I think that's those are the actual sister processors.

10. Offline

jasvecht

Use the Xeon, i'll use it for a more miscellaneous hosting (WHM) soonly.

Don't overclock a server.

Seriously, just don't.

11. Offline

pacmanjones

Alright, I guess it comes down to E3 1270 v E3 1230 now... hmm..

Don't E3 compatible boards only have 4 memory slots though? So 16GB total max mem? (Unless I buy those crazy expensive 8gb pieces)

12. Offline

Nathan C

Yeah, they both only support dual channel memory with 4 slots total. They do have 6 slot ones though.

13. Offline

pacmanjones

6 slot Xeon processors or 6 slot boards for E3 xeons?

Either way, 16gb RAM is plenty, even if you put your world on RAMDISK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.