AoE in MC? --Basics sorted, anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by stargateanubis14, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I started playing AoE 3 again recently, and i started thinking... how can i make MC into an AoE RTS game?
    So, i came up with a few basic ideas:
    Users cant actually build anything. They can break stuff, but if they want to get to a resource, they must find a way to naturally get to it. The way buildings are placed, are by pre-designed buildings in something like WorldEdit.
    When users want to build a building, they must have certain materials in the 'town center' chests, and type a command which will create a building at those coords, and create a worldguard region around it. The region may need an extra stat like "HP", so that when users attempt to destroy it, it loses HP, before the blocks start to be removed.
    For troops, i think users can use the Citizens plugin to make guards for troops (or any other good NPC plugin), which can only be spawned inside of a 'barracks' region.

This is just conceptual and fun to think about at this point. I was wondering if anyone had done anything like it, or felt like delving into the idea more :D
    (i would LOVE to do this, but i'm slightly busy with lots of other stuff :p )
    One of the problems i foresaw was with the building placement. What happens if there's a building there? My way around it, was chunk-by-chunk building placement...then of course, there's the fact that it would get boring, especially because NPC's dont really do much. So it would be a flat limit of number of players (maybe 10v10), all expanding the town.

But a LOT of units can be made in minecraft (artillery->tnt structures, infantry->players themselves and NPC guards, wolves-> [duh] , and maybe even cavalry if you mount something on a spider)
    And same for buildings... A mine shaft that uses coal to scan a small area below it, and draw out certain materials when you pay for it (using...coal?)....

The possibilities go on. The question is: is anyone able to accomplish this? :p

DrAgonmoray likes this.
  2. Offline

chilldy

I can see it as a possibility. MobArena instead of auto spawning can be set to a button mixed with iconomy. But being able to select your units and tell them where to go may be hard.

3. Thats what i was wondering... is it possible to have things like NPC's that are shaped like a mob?

I know there are plugins that create NPC's (Citizens ,for example), and then others that change players into the form of a mob (such as mobdisguise)... it seems to reason that one could do something similar, and have a 'guard' engine from citizens, and apply it to mobs.
    For grouping, you could probably write a special command that allows you to put certain NPC's into groups. Then, when you do a command like "/unitmove #", you tell NPC's in the group # to move to your location.. (just write in the command to do a command via citizens, that adds that point as the path start and end, and the NPC will move to that location) Same basic principle with Attacking....not sure how to get NPC's to attack buildings. Maybe just have it as CTF style (npc's must stand in the chunk to initate an attack on a building).

But yeah... there's a LOT of basic principles that can be re-created by mixing diff plugins (mainly things like Citizens, worldguard/edit, and mobdisguise), i just dont have nearly enough time to develop it. (the reason i'm writing this post, is so i dont forget about it when i DO get time....-if- i get time)

4. Offline

Waterflames

With Spoutcraft support, you could do alot of things. For example the unit selecting, with spoutcraft you make an overlay screen in whitch you could make the entire gui and when the user drags a rectangle it checks if there are units in that area.

Building should be ok to do, just divide the map into lots and each building takes a predefined amount of slots.
    Not very easy, but if it would be done properly I think it could become a huge succes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.