Animal Spawning 1.8!!!

Discussion in 'Plugin Help/Development/Requests' started by roracle, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

roracle

OMG I have TONS of animals and the numbers increase with every log in! How do I keep the animal numbers down? Same map as single player, there were zero...ZERO animals in my base, and now it's overrun by rabbits and cows and sheep. Oh my! How can I change this?

2. roracle There is no Bukkit 1.8, seek support where you acquired your server software. :)

3. Offline

roracle

AdamQpzm There is a Bukkit 1.8 because I got it with the rest of the downloads. It came with CraftBukkit, Spigot, and all the source, jar files, etc. There is 1.8, it was released two or three days ago. Research before commenting. ;)

BTW: you have to git it. I did the instructions I found on Spigot's site, it came with everything for either craftbukkit or spigot. Instructions are easy to follow if you're using Linux, haven't tried in Windows at all.

4. roracle I have done my research thanks :) Just because it's released with the name of Bukkit, doesn't mean it is Bukkit. Only the Bukkit team can release something under the Bukkit name, everything else is just an unofficial fork of Bukkit. As such, support should be acquired from the people who made that fork.

To give an example of that: If I updated Bukkit and made it so that it constantly spawned cats every tick, would you seek support from the people on these forums? No, you should ask me why that's happening. The same applies to the situation where the Spigot team have released their version of it.

5. Offline

roracle

AdamQpzm Spigot is a fork of Bukkit...isn't it? That's why it comes with everything needed?

IE: there would be no Spigot 1.8 release UNLESS Bukkit 1.8 was first fixed.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  6. Yes, Spigot is a fork. However, as there is no update from Bukkit, nor is there likely to be, Spigot carried on on their own rather than give up and not develop anymore. This does not give them the right to say that their product is "Bukkit" though, any more than my drown-in-cats release should be :)

7. Offline

roracle

Actually, it IS Bukkit because DinnerBone has already stated Bukkit is NOT going to die. He said he was personally updating it, and if he decided to work with the Spigot team instead of the feeble Bukkit devs (who apparently jumped ship at the first sign of trouble) then you cannot deny that his choice to release with them at a place where his project would be taken more seriously and not draw attention from those who seek to crush the project? I would have to say this is most likely official Bukkit and Spigot they're offering up.

After all, many devs are updating to be compatible with the latest Bukkit, and since there is only one Bukkit, I can't imagine a new Bukkit not being Bukkit, based on 1.8. If some dude by himself can make Rainbow-Server not even a month after 1.8's release, then I'm sure a stable robust project among a few devs is not an issue.

AdamQpzm
    http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/bukkit-craftbukkit-spigot-1-8.36598/

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

8. Uhh... got any source for that? I don't believe that Dinnerbone was behind the release of Spigot's Bukkit. I think you're just jumping to conclusions there. Also I don't understand what you meant by "jumped ship at the first sign of trouble". Did you see this post? I guess this is when they technically "jumped ship", but that phrase doesn't really accurately describe the situation. And I really doubt it was the first sign of trouble.

Edit roracle: Yeah, yeah, I've seen that post thanks. Once again, just because they say that they're now "Bukkit, and CraftBukkit" doesn't mean that they are. People are prone to making mistakes and even lying about their position. Unless anyone has any actual evidence that they have acquired rights to publish under Bukkit's name (and a Spigot announcement simply saying that they have doesn't constitute as evidence), then I have no reason to believe it.

9. Offline

roracle

Now please if anyone can help.

I did say "would be" as in I mentioned quite obviously I was speculating. But read above. Check out DinnerBone's Twitter where he said it, check the front page of Bukkit.org and they posted his tweet on the right side bar. Spigot forums I reposted the release thread post. I don't know what you're wanting, I need help, not a debate about what is out there and what is not.

AdamQpzm Okay I don't think anyone is going to release something under a name that it isn't. That's what KIDS do and these devs are at least somewhat schooled in building server software, so I'm sure they understand the requirement of peer review and ensuring their work is their own work and not someone else's...especially keeping the name the same, that's obviously unprofessional (Like if CocaCola started selling A&W Root Beer and didn't change the name, obvious infringement). So quit poking at holes and realize it's released.

10. Yeah, I know Dinnerbone said he was going to update it himself. There's nothing to link him to the Spigot release, though, and are even things that essentially outright say he wasn't involved. As such, this cannot be considered an official Bukkit release, because it has no involvement from the Bukkit team. If you're looking for help, I'd go back to my original point; seek support at Spigot forums. They'll be much better suited to helping you as you are using software that they have released, you're not using software that the staff of this site have released.

But that's exactly what's happening here. Bukkit and CraftBukkit refer specifically to the releases by the official Bukkit team, found in their respective download locations here and here (except CraftBukkit due to DMCA of course). As you'll notice, there is no details of Bukkit 1.8 as it does not exist. The Spigot team do not have a right to release under the name of "Bukkit", ergo Bukkit is not released - an unofficial version of it is.

11. Offline

roracle

So why did they? Or "they didn't" technically, but did actually? You don't make sense. My name is AdamQpzm and will tell everyone that is my name. Doesn't make me you, but how stupid would it be if I accomplish something awesome and name it for someone who wasn't involved? THAT is my point. Why would they give Bukkit credit for something they did (wait for it)....BY NAMING IT BUKKIT? Why not just stick with Spigot-API and Spigot? Why release Bukkit and CraftBukkit as if they were necessary for releasing Spigot? Why not a whole new project name? Are people with this server stuff that unprofessional? I can't imagine. A slip up with the GPL is understandable, happens quite a lot actually. But flat faced usurpation? That's not really happening.

There you go. You were right, I should be asking there, which I have already.

IE: Bukkit.org is good for those who think it's dead. For guys who don't realize it's on Spigot now, that is. I obviously missed that tidbit in my skim, but I'm at work, what's your excuse? :p

12. Offline

DrPyroCupcake

roracle Just be sure you know the difference between Spigot CraftBukkit & CraftBukkit.

13. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

Locked.
    1. This is Bukkit Alternatives, so it is supported on this section anyways.
    2. Double posting isn't appreciated.

AdamQpzm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.