An update on the Plugin Developer tag system

Discussion in 'Community News and Announcements' started by EvilSeph, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

As previously announced, the Plugin Developer tag system had become difficult to maintain and was frozen as a result of this. Since then, we’ve been actively discussing the future of the Plugin Developer tag and, consequently, the Bukkit+ forum.

We do have a couple of possible systems in mind that will take the place of the Plugin Developer tag and will be making an announcement as soon as we decide on which we feel is best for the community.

Until that time, we have decided to remove the developer tag from all existing profiles, while still keeping Bukkit+ available and in use. Any developers who have access to the Bukkit+ forum will retain that access and for those of you who don't have access, we'll be providing a way to get access to Bukkit+ provided you are an upstanding member of the community.

2. Offline

Afforess

I'd rather be a jerk who leaves the world better off than he found it than the nice guy who let it burn.

Which is why the time limit to upgrade would exist. If you wanted to, you could even put a 1 month timer on the "Amatuer" rank. Most of the dreaded "TNT-Protect" plugin devs always disappeared in under a month.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
  3. Offline

ZachBora

I think Drakia did that and it weighted in him getting banned.

Deleted user likes this.
  4. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

I wonder whether I will be able to buy my way into Bukkit+

*rubs hands.

Deleted user likes this.
  5. Offline

jasvecht

I don't see the whole point of bukkit+ besides just being a bureaucrat. Make it a joinable group and be done with it. What's the point of a tag or exclusive forum? Creating something, learning something, should encourage people to code. Not some false sense of importance or superiority. People who want to code should just be able to opt in and get their help. Without this exclusive nonsense wasting time of the staff and attracting the wrong people.

/rant

6. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

If you make it an open group, everyone would join it. If you make it closed, return to previous argument about bureaucracy.

7. Offline

jasvecht

Everyone? Just the members interested In coding. I don't see the problem in that.

In fact, why does bukkit have a discussion forum to begin with? You'd expect it to be a bug tracker and some coding help forums...

8. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

xF currently doesn't support custom groups that can be autonomously monitored. You're either in a user group, or you aren't, although v1.1 has a new ability where people's user group status can expire.

9. Offline

NinjaZidane

This is because bukkit is not high and mighty and only wants to hang out with coders...this is a community and as such we welcome any and everyone to come be apart of and contribute.

10. Offline

jasvecht

The creation of a few simple modifications would make it proper.
    Why is it a community for server owners? The top level staffs expertise obviously lies with coding. I am not saying the community isn't fun, I am saying that perhaps people should stick to their specialities...

11. Offline

NuclearW

Which says nothing of the lower-level minions such as myself who run servers as well as program.

And we do welcome server owners to our community, because they are the users of our product. Why would we not want them? And even though we do want them, why do we not want a place for only programmers as well?

12. Offline

ACStache

Honestly, I never had one so I can't weigh in on whether having the Plugin Dev tag versus not having it is better or worse.

Going by Afforess's ranking idea on page one, I'd peg myself in the amateur group, even though I've been around for a while. To me, time does play a part in it, but it's also about how much you're willing to learn and apply. The other thing that's key, I feel, is making something unique, or 'one of a couple'. I know I'm personally guilty of a 'god mode' plugin myself, but that came later, and had a specific purpose since it is slightly different than the rest.

Ultimately, I'm intrigued to see how this will all play out.

13. Offline

Tux2

As a plugin developer that has been here for over 7 months I would have to say that I am just going to sit and wait to see what Bukkit is going to do as far as distinguishing plugin devs. Although Afforess has some very good points and good ideas, the bukkit team also has a few points as well. I will sit patiently and wait for what pans out.

14. Offline

The_Wrecker

Agreed (I've seen the splitting of hmod and the growth of Bukkit as well). Developed my plugin for both platforms.
    I've been wondering what direction the Bukkit team is taking lately with all these changes... Only time will tell.

15. Offline

Afforess

If you think that's what Drakia did to get banned you don't understand that situation at all. Go re-read EvilSeph's post about it.

Deleted user and Inscrutable like this.
  16. Offline

ZachBora

I know it's not the only thing but they did mention it.

17. And people wonder why I keep making alts? No, I did not upload anything malicious, I uploaded something that auto-downloaded the latest version of my plugin, something that a LOT OF PLUGINS DO (Whether it be the plugin itself, or the latest version of a library).
    The lies the Bukkit members spread about me is really getting annoying. You want to see what I uploaded? Here you go:
    Code:
    package net.TheDgtl.DL;

import java.io.File;
    import java.io.FileOutputStream;
    import java.io.InputStream;
    import java.net.URL;
    import java.net.URLConnection;
    import java.util.logging.Level;
    import java.util.logging.Logger;

import org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin;

public class iChat extends JavaPlugin {
    	private Logger log;
    	private String name;
    	@Override
    	public void onDisable() {
    	}

@Override
    	public void onEnable() {
    		log = getServer().getLogger();
    		name = this.getClass().getSimpleName().replaceAll("_", "-");
    		// First check to see if the plugin already exists
    		log.info("Checking for " + name);
    		File pl = new File(this.getFile().getParentFile(), name + ".jar");
    		if (pl.exists()) {
    			log.info(name + " already exists. It is safe to remove " + this.getFile().getName());
    			getPluginLoader().disablePlugin(this);
    			return;
    		}
    		try {
    			URL url = new URL("http://thedgtl.net/bukkit/" + name + ".jar");
    			URLConnection ucon = url.openConnection();
    			InputStream is = ucon.getInputStream();
    			FileOutputStream os = new FileOutputStream(pl);
    			int c, count = 0;
    			while ((c = is.read()) != -1) {
    				os.write(c);
    				count++;
    			}
    			is.close();
    			os.close();
    			log.info("Downloaded " + name + ".jar -- " + count + " bytes total.");
    			log.info("It is now safe to delete " + this.getFile().getName());
    			try {
    				getServer().getPluginManager().loadPlugin(pl);
    			} catch (Exception ex) {
    				log.log(Level.SEVERE, "There was an error loading " + name + " please restart your server to enable.");
    			}
    			getPluginLoader().disablePlugin(this);
    		} catch (Exception e) {
    			log.log(Level.SEVERE, "There was an error downloading the plugin. Please manually download it from http://thedgtl.net/bukkit/");
    		}
    	}
    }

Now then, if people would stop talking shit about me, that would be nice. You want to know what got me banned? Disagreeing with how things were run, in a very vocal manner. I was the loudest, so I was the first to go. I was a warning to everyone else who was unhappy, that if you keep it up you're gone. Careful @Afforess, you'll probably be next ;)

18. Offline

Mentioum

Ranking systems are required for all types of organised and controlled groups.

Hierarchy is a necessity in any community. Although some people will disagree, just about every community benefits from some sort of hierarchical and meritocratic system. In the least it provides motivation through incentive and what community doesn't want to encourage people to develop things which make its own platform better?

If someone is about to say "but the plugin developer rank isn't even an achievement, anyone can get it now, there are lots of crappy developers" then stop, think, is that a problem with the rank, or is that a problem with the way people are admitted to the rank. It's the latter for those who can't be arsed to think....

I understand why you've removed the whole plugin developer system as user management is extremely time consuming, however I feel you should consider changing the management method rather than removing the rank itself. Perhaps putting together a team who specifically manage this issue would be far more beneficial. Xenforo 1.1 has some new tools which might also help this group manage things more efficiently too!

@Afforess 's suggestion is good and all about splitting the rank, however this wont change the fact that it's the method of admission to these ranks that is the problem. I don't think splitting the ranks will solve the problem, it will just postpone it and create more work for forum moderation.

A meritocratic ranking system is a must though!

Just my ten pence... It's not like its my job to study peoples behavior or anything. *Sarcasm*

19. Offline

ZachBora

Do doctors have such system? Architects?

20. Offline

Afforess

I am not moved by threats, idle or otherwise.

Deleted user, ZNickq, Sleaker and 2 others like this.
  21. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

Hey, you're a pretty cool guy after all!

22. Offline

Mentioum

Yes they do...

Doctors have the private healthcare system, public healthcare system medical interns , doctors in residence e.t.c e.t.c too many to name. Ranks associated with qualifications and what they specialize in.

For example do you think lets say a brain surgeon should just be called a doctor? Or perhaps an endocrinologist should just be called a physician? Obviously not....

Architects have levels of seniority spread through just about every company they work for and even if they freelance they with use a hierarchical system, senior achitect, junior architect, project manager, senior contractor, junior contractor...

What do you think all the letters after their names? Its pretty much the same thing... for example I'm BSc PGDip CPSYCHOL which is actually pretty under-qualified compared to most psychiatrists.

Afforess likes this.
  23. Offline

Lolmewn

How did it go from Ranks to Doctors?
    I really don't see the connection.

24. Offline

Mentioum

@ZachBora responded to my post about how hierarchy and named positions are required for efficient working companies, communities, forums, whatever by asking if Doctors or Architects have suck ranks, which of course they do.

25. Offline

ZachBora

I'm figuring, if they do it elsewhere in the professional realm (meaning I exclude military and company) we should do it too.

26. Offline

Deleted user

I love you xD No homo.

You can't tell if a person is a plugin developer just by looking at their signature!
    Like, someone could just post up a random link to some random plugin that isn't even theirs and you would believe it WAS their's.
    The BukkitDev link is the only way to tell if someone is a plugin developer or not, with the exception of just going through the forums and finding out if the person did release a plugin.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
  27. Offline

Hidendra

In that case, I'd like to lay claim to the #15 badge

28. Then do I get the #26901 badge?

WalkerCrouse likes this.
  29. Offline

Inscrutable

I am not a number, I am a free man! ... Who is number One?
    You are number Six. Welcome to the Village. :cool:

30. Offline

MsInscrutable

Dons false moustache and sombrero, fires wildly into the air, and rides a liberated horse through the forum, screaming "They don't need no stinking badges!" at the top of her lungs...
    Secret Java Decoder rings, maybe?;)

31. Offline

Zach Hinchy

My $0.02:

I just made my first plugin. It's a simple, tiny plugin, but of course I didn't make it to get a shiny badge; else I would have made something when I first joined. I made it to fill a niche I wanted filled; any recognition is an afterthought. However, it still is a little disappointing to learn that I won't get any sort of official recognition for it (at least for the immediate future); not to mention access to Bukkit+.

I understand the circumstance, but it just seems a little bit like those times when a kid in a class in school speaks out of turn and a particularly nasty teacher decides to make an example out of him and punish the entire class for his behavior. It sends a message, sure, but it creates a situation where the people doing something lame are not losing out on nearly as much as the people who were not responsible for said problems.

Does abuse of something by a few people justify it being taken away from everyone?

(For the record: I like Afforess' idea.)

Don Redhorse, RROD and WizzleDonker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.