Allocating RAM to java.exe

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Dooderdo, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Dooderdo

Hello everyone, today I would like to bring up a topic on Allocating RAM to Java. I have read... and I know how to actually add more ram to a minecraft server, simple as changing 1024 to 4096. But my question is why Is my allocation of RAM to java not working. I went into control panel, java, java tab, view, and so on to change my Runtime Parameters with no success. I even rebooted and still did not allow me to change my minecraft server to 4096m. Standard error "cannot create java VM - not enough heap space - failed to create java virtual machine". The thing is though, I have 14GB of ram because I just installed some more. Checked task manager to make sure not all of it was being used... So how can I fix this?

Running 14GB of Ram on a windows vista desktop, java 6 installed.

Thanks for the help!

2. Offline

nala3

Make sure you have 64Bit Java installed.

3. Offline

Dooderdo

Yes I do.
    Just installed it today.
    Thanks for the fast reply.

Oh and by the way, my computer is a 64bit OS.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
  4. Offline

Dooderdo

PLease help

5. Offline

mindless728

don't use the EXE to run the server, use the jar file with a bat script to run it, then you can dictate how much mmemory it can use. At that point you may even just want to run a Bukkit server (without plugins it is vanilla) because its just as easy at that point.

6. Offline

Dooderdo

I already use a bat file, and a bukkit server, and have decided I want to make it 4 gb.
    Code:
    @echo off
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit-1.1-R1.jar
    pause
    That is what I use. Once again I am running 64 bit os, and java 6, 64 bit.

Edit: If I change it to 4096, I get the failed to create java virtual machine error.

Also, does to "w" at the end of javaw.exe matter? Do I need to include that?

7. Offline

Paswaru

%ProgramFiles(x86)% is pointing you to the 32bit version of Java. 64bit Java should be in %ProgramFiles%.

8. Offline

Dooderdo

Ok thanks! It seems to work. But isn't there a command to let me see how much ram I am using on the server in-game?

9. Offline

MonsieurApple

If you're using CommandBook, I believe /debug does that. Also, moved to Bukkit Help.

10. Offline

Dooderdo

Oh, I was looking for it! I am not running CommandBook, but I am running alot of other major plugins (i.e. Essentials).

So is there a command in another plugin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.