A thing like HawkEye or BlockLog with NO MySQL external databases?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by tomutwit, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

tomutwit

I need a plugin that just shows you who has griefed an area, and allows you to roll back just that area , but records it to a config file or something and not an external database!

2. Offline

nickrak

Flat files are just plain bad for block logging if you expect to rollback. Installing MySQL only takes a couple minutes.

3. Offline

Orcworm

Code:
    apt-get install mysql-server
    Oh boy that's certainly a challenge.

But as nickrak said, you'd be better off without one than to use one with flatfile due to how slow it'd be.

4. Offline

tomutwit

Well OK, I'll admit it, basically I don't know what all that external database stuff is about. Do I need a webhost or something? Because I do have some web hosting space and I could possibly run the database on a subdomain of my website, which is unrelated to the server.

5. Offline

nickrak

You can run the database on the same computer that is hosting minecraft.

If you're running on windows or mac, you can download an installer that will set everything up for you from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/ called Community Server

If you're running on a linux/unix/bsd machine, you can install with
    Code:
    apt-get install mysql-server
    or
    Code:
    yum install mysql-server

6. Offline

MikeA

If you're using a Minecraft hosting company they should give you a MySQL database to use. If not google "Free MySQL Database Hosting"

7. Offline

tomutwit

OK guys thanks. I'll ask my hosting company (veoserv.com- cheap but not much RAM) if they can hook me up with some free stuff

8. Offline

Paswaru

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/coreprotect/

I've never used it so I can’t say if it is any good or not, but it does what you originally where asking for. Just in case finding/hosting a SQL database does not work out for you.

9. Offline

Intelli

Yep. File based storage done properly. We use a custom file-based low-level database.
    And of course, we also offer MySQL support. However, for our plugin, I actually recommend using file based storage. It's been custom designed to handle logged data efficiently, and does NOT get slower over time as more data is added.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.