A "Safe" package of Craftbukkit + working necessary plugins

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by willystylee, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

willystylee

If someone were to complile a .rar with like the most needed plugins (essentials,WE/WG, permissions etc, world backup utility) with the most stable and working promoted (recommended) build of craftbukkit with the latest mojang update, and then were to distribute it to server owners over a thread so we could all use that and not have to constantly try to keep up with updatedating craftbukkit/bukkit plugins, and while we used it, the bukkit devs could continue working and not have to worry as much about everything not working constanly with new releases? Could this work out? If owners felt more conferable with doing the daily update thing like we have been, they wouldn't be obligated to use the compiled safe-working package

Just seeming like more and more each day all us server owners are really on constant wild goose chase, it's honestly really hard to keep up with... and if bukkit isn't going to be finished for a while idk how much longer i can keep up with this if its gonna continue to be this rocky...

Feedback on this idea?

2. Offline

SweetCraft Girl

I do not think we as server owners can ever in the near future trust a "most needed package" of plugins or even agree as to what those most needed plugins would be. Not only that, we then have to trust someone else to make sure they are compiling together all the proper up-to-date versions of several plugins.

As hair pulling as it is, and frustrating and tear jerking...I'd rather trust it to myself and tech/partner and friends.

3. Offline

TnT

Plugin devs are encouraged to support the latest recommended build. As long as you update CB to that build, and update the plugins of your choice to the version that supports the latest RB, you should be fine, right?

Who defines the most needed plugins? None of the plugins you list I use on my server. Wouldn't this be alienating certain plugin devs who feel their plugin should be included, but someone, somewhere, decided it wasn't one of the "most needed"?

4. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

We should include everyone's plugin in a giant ZIP folder YEAH

5. Offline

willystylee

Well i meant "most needed" as in essentials (basic commands) and then WG/WE for blacklist/controlling blocks and permissions for groups. To me those are plugins that can sustain a server without having to have it vanilla. I know i'm not speaking for others here but i cannot be on all the time, i have school and other stuff to do besides sit on the computer pressing F5 all day. But TnT i will take that advice, as i didn't know that.

When i said most important plugins i meant the ones that can sustain a server without it bieng vanilla with a WL. Not "every plugin on your wishlist" important, comon. A conservative list. Also well i see feedback has not been that positive on the idea, but oh well i'll say it. i think you guys thought i meant this would be a required thing, i just meant it could be something that those of us that chose to use something like that would use.

just an idea i wanted to throw out there, as a member of the community i feel that brainstorming these kinds of things is a productive and healthy thing to do, i think some people often don't recognize that and take it as an opportunity to troll, which is sad *looks at above post*

well that was stupid

6. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

[​IMG]

Deleted user and Torrent like this.
  7. Offline

willystylee

change yer mind on method of troll?

Gotta get that troll post -just right- , don't you? :)

8. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

I believe all of the plugins are equally important.

9. Offline

willystylee

Well, glad to see you're back on the productive boat.

are you serious? how can a plugin that does something as simple and minuscule as spawning colored wool compare to a plugin that basically saves a server from grief?

10. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

Maybe you can create a plugin that merges all of the other plugins into one, like the Theory of Everything.

11. Offline

jwideman

I'd be happy if all the plugin devs just worked on supporting the same build. You update so that X loads, Y and Z break.

12. Offline

willystylee

Why would anyone want to merge all plugins into one? i'm starting to think this whole time you didnt even read the OP fully...
    --- merged: Feb 24, 2011 12:56 AM ---
    Finally, a shred of support.

13. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

You don't detect sarcasm very well do you...

1. Who defines the importance of a plugin?
    2. By putting together an official package, you are alienating those whose plugins aren't supported.
    3. Why do I feel like I am repeating what TnT said?

14. Offline

willystylee

I detect it fine, i just choose to respond the best way. Just admit it, when you post, you do so in a way that only aims to fish reactions out of people. Wasn't born yesterday.

1. no one, but the community
    2. again you misinterpret
    3. because you are, why are you?

15. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

[​IMG]
    --- merged: Feb 24, 2011 1:04 AM ---
    So instead of addressing those issues, you simply reject them?

1. Who's the community?
    2. How am I misinterpreting? Say you made a plugin after spending countless hours on it, then to not have it included in an official zip, wouldn't you get butthurt too? I would.
    3. I am not even going to bother explaining this one.

Deleted user and Torrent like this.
  16. Offline

willystylee

Lazy? It takes just as much physical energy to google-image 'brilliant' as it does type out a post like a normal person.

Man, you're edit-happy

i never rejected anything XD

1. Too obvious to answer
    2. i wouldn't, lol. If i made "silly generic plugin" and some other guy who really knows what he's doing made "Much more effective and useful plugin" i wound be smart enough to recognize that his plugin>mine, and i wouldn't be "butthurt" lol, this isn't 8th grade... (for me atleast)
    3. kay

17. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

Go ahead and compile a zip. See how many people download it. Last time I saw someone do it, it got I think 2 or 3 downloads.

18. Offline

willystylee

Hah! :)

Never once did i say i was gonna. This was simply an idea i had.

19. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

And good luck keeping up to date with them

20. Offline

willystylee

..What?

21. Offline

jwideman

For the record, my post wasn't intended as support. While this idea seems well-intentioned, it's only addressing a symptom and - as others have pointed out in perhaps less polite ways - creates other problems.
    Just like bukkit itself, plugins are not finished products. In the rare case that they are feature complete and bug free, they are still one bukkit build away from breaking. The only real solution is for the plugin devs themselves to only support specific builds, and for server owners to not insist they fix the bugs created by the build released just 15 minutes ago.
    You asked for feedback, you got it. You seemed to have expected praise and not criticism. Too bad.

22. Offline

AK1TTEN

Im just gunna jump in on this one.

It would never go over well because (even though you are sooooo modest) other people would feel like they have just as much right as "Joe Blow" to have their plugin put in this "most needed" pack.

M1sT3rM4n is asking "Who really gets to decide what plugins are 'most needed' when everyone has their own needs?"

Answer: Not you, not Me, and not anyone else until the community as a whole comes together and we all decide on the SAME EXACT list of "most needed" plugins.

You can let me know when that happens... But I'm not gunna keep my schedule open.

23. Offline

willystylee

Well i took it as a shred, like i wrote. I do see what your saying and thank you for maturely responding. I wasn't in the slightest "expecting more praise", that's hilarious. Anyone whos sane knows that not everyone agrees on everything.
    I still feel that my idea wasn't understood fully the way i intended. I often get ideas that pop into my head, but when it comes to articulating them in the most understandable way, thats a different story. I never meant for it to seem like it would be an "all or none" sorta thing. Those plugins i listed in the OP were simply my own preferences and imho pretty standard for keeping the peace in (my) server. I was thinking it would be more of a mix and match your own plugins kinda thing, just so long as they were stable and compatible with that bukkit release.

Thanks anyways everyone for the feedback.

24. Offline

jwideman

What you run into with that is that as soon as someone installs the package, they are replacing all of it in order to run another plugin. Or maybe one of the included plugins has been updated with bug fixes and new features. In the end it wouldn't really help, or whoever is maintaining the package is going to go nuts trying to keep up. It's crazy enough just trying to keep up for your own server.
    Now, what can be done that would help would be creating a thread listing the plugins that work with which builds, sorted by categories, with notes as to which other plugins they conflict with. Include links to the plugin threads and bukkit builds.

25. Offline

TnT

It already exists to a certain extent on a thread here in this forum. It wasn't kept up to date either.

26. Offline

Plague

Unless the package is the only thing there is, so I can still use my own configuration, suit yourself and make it and then support it for all the people that downloaded it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.