1185+ Backup Solution

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by kevile, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

kevile

Anyone have any luck getting a stable backup solution for 1.8.1? It's important to me to also have capability to backup the /plugins/ dir, as alot of exp, levels, and stats are saved there. Been looking around for a few days now; both on the old plugin list page and on bukkitdev, but no dice :(

Thanks for your help :D

2. Offline

AndyFox42

Does RemoteToolKit work? I use it for map saves and automatic server restarts every few hours but I think it does backups too doesn't it?

3. Offline

MrAstaroth

It depends on the platform, I mentioned mcwrapper in this thread from last week http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/1185-backup-solution.38378/

That has been working for me, however it will only backup the world and the server configuration files(banned IPs, server.properties etc.) That doesn't leave you with what you want. Essentially a fully portable backup you can restore. With just the mcwrapper backup you'd have to get a new copy of the craftbukkit server and re-install all the plugins and their configuration files.

To get a restorable archive I wrote some pretty simple shell scripts that do a full backup and stuck them in the crontab, but like mcwrapper they are only going to work on a *nix platform, and depend on having mcwrapper available to start and stop the server. You could probably take the logic and port over to a windows batch script though, but you'll need something capable of starting and stopping your minecraft server and you'll need tar which will require cygwin or something similar.

The full_backup scripts shut the server down so no files are modified while they are being archived. The difference between the two is that the offline one won't restart the server when it's finished.

The mc_backup script can be run while the server is up, it initiates a save-all and takes a snapshot.

And my crontab looks like this:
    # m h dom mon dow command
    45 7 * * * /opt/minecraft/scripts/stable/mc_backup.sh 2&1>> /opt/minecraft/stable_backup_script.errlog
    45 12 * * 1 /opt/minecraft/scripts/stable/full_backup_script.sh 2&1>> /opt/minecraft/stable_backup_script.errlog

So every morning at 7:45 an mcwrapper backup runs and weekly the server is shut down and fully backed up.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Attached Files:

4. Offline

Chillax_Team

the plugin backup works. But it kicks you when backing up manually...

5. Offline

Don Redhorse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.