1 or 2 Servers?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Meatiex, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Meatiex

I currently hosting a server for survival, creative, and games... My question is: Would it be better to host 2 separate servers (less plugins on each) or stay the same?
    Would hosting 2 cause more lag?
    12G ram
    60 ms internet
    [​IMG]

2. Offline

rguz10

Dat Upload. You can get like 10 players max out of your upload speed.

3. Offline

Meatiex

you sure...? Iv been hosting my server for about 3 years like this and people only complain about lag when im using world edit or something, with nothing like that its fine... what im asking is do you think hosting one server like i am or hosting 2 servers would be more lag efficient? (The most people i get right now is 20)Thanks! ~Meatie

4. Offline

fafler

Would you keep them on separate ports or link them together with BungeeCord?

The latter option is by far the coolest, but might be just as complicated as setting Multiverse up correctly.

I'm not sure how performance scales with more servers on the same machine, however with the abundance of memory you have, I don't think it'll matter anyway. I don't see why it should change the network load in any way.

5. Offline

rguz10

It will double the packets used if you use Bungee, so it will be
    Player > Bungee > Backend server > Bungee > Player
    instead of
    Player > Server > Player

I would defiantly get better internet speeds.

6. Offline

Meatiex

upload or download? I don't think Cox gives out specific upload speeds...

do you know how to setup bungee-cord?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  7. Offline

Onionbro

You would get better support for BC if you asked in their support forums. Reading documentation also helps.

8. Offline

Lolmewn

rguz10 Isn't the bungee->server->bungee part not local though? Shouldn't matter much I'd say.
    Also, why not have three servers? While you're at it ;)

9. Offline

rguz10

Ahh that’s true, depends on the situation. I used to run my Bungee on a remote VPS so I used my experience. When ran off the same machine you should have no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.