===1.8 World Generator-A creation saver!===

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Insanehero, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Offline

Insanehero

As most of you know Minecraft 1.8 is coming out in the next week. With the new update there our tons of terrain generation changes such as deeper oceans, 7 new biomes, ravines, npc villages, and rivers. But to have these things you would have to create an entire new world or goto new chunks of the world, which would take forever to get to if you have a big server map like mine and many other servers. What I am looking for is a plugin/mod which will regenerate all the chunks in a current map so it will have the 1.8 features, like the //regen command in WE, but many servers don't want to have to regenerate their entire map and lose all their creations so the unique thing about this plugins is that you would be able to choose what chunks don't regenerate. So you could keep your cities or w/e you made and still have the 1.8 features. I am 99% sure 1/2 of ALL the MC servers would find this useful. Because no one likes losing their creations!

2. Offline

dak393

BTW there are 2 of them that I know of off the top of my head give me a sec I'll grab the links.
    Edit: What do you think about One Time Renewal? (Its based of the original if you want to see that one but its outdated)

3. Offline

Insanehero

Would this work with worldedited chunks?

4. Offline

HockeyMike24

1.8 comes out next week?

5. Offline

Sethimine

Yep, someone said it comes out in August, but after PAX Prime, which ended today.

:)

I am extremely interested in this idea. This is one of the best plugin requests I've seen so far! I hate using MCEdit unless I simply HAVE to. Using it to move the entire world would truly be torture.

6. Offline

Insanehero

I tested this out and it doesn't seem to work with WorldEdited blocks which is a huge downside. Any interested in full filling my request? Every server would use it :p

7. Offline

TehSkull

I have an idea of how this could be done, but it wouldn't be a plugin.
    Maybe there could be a script that reads a 1.7 based map and it's seed, and chunk by chunk checks if there's any differences from a freshly regenerated copy. Anything with no change would be deleted and thus regenerated when explored.

I have no idea how something like that would be accomplished though.

8. Offline

dak393

it purposely doesn't change "man made" structures ie: stuff made of unnatural blocks like planks and cobble (it makes sure the cobble isn't a dungeon) There is a configurable list of what blocks to change just edit that to your liking and it will renew (basically delete and re-generate) all chunks without those blocks :)

@TehSkull the plugin I linked is a offshoot from the original that generated un-developed (wilderness as stated above is determined by a chunk not containing player made blocks) areas onPlayerMove

BTW if you want me to reply mention me (@dak393) or quote me

9. Offline

TehSkull

@dak393 Ah. I didn't click your link. Sorry. Great minds think alike, I suppose.

10. Offline

dak393

:) np I do believe the original is outdated though so if you wanted to fork that... ;)

11. Offline

Insanehero

I really don't see this working, because it would not regen all the random chunks that were edited by players. Therefore, there would be huge WE like walls around areas all over the place in the world and would be a pain to fix. I'd rather just have it in a condensed area I can pick.

12. Offline

dak393

Weeeellll If you want to choose additional areas you do have "//regen" in WE :p and if anyone updated (as in no need to reinvent the wheel) the first plugin you could set it to have no restrictions and it would regen all the chunks you walk to :)

13. Offline

Insanehero

I have over 400+ players that have built randomly all over the map. It'd take me YEARS to regen it all.

14. Offline

dak393

well then set up world border over a specified area and set no limits to it therefor regening all that area while disregarding structures. I mean the point it doesn't regen that is so that you don't destroy player's structures and buildings ;)

15. Offline

Spectre93

You might wanna try the WorldBorder plugin :)
    You can set a border with a wide radius (square or circle) from the middle of your server.
    Then you can use a command to fill in all chunks up to the border.
    And don't worry, it doesn't overwrite existing chunks :)

EDIT: Oow sorry, didn't read very well. If you want the 1.8 biomes I think you have to remove all chunks manually...

Btw...if you use the same seed in 1.8, then the world should be entirely the same as in 1.7, shouldn't it? Else none of the seeds will be the same in 1.8 :eek:

16. Offline

Insanehero

Erm... I spent 7 months developing this map. I don't want to put that to waist. All I want is for it to regen everything but chunks I can select not to regen.

17. Offline

Flenix

Personally, I think its gonna be easier to just generate a new map and copy towns over to it.

Also, I wouldn't trust people when they say things like "1.8 is coming out this week!" without some sort of blog post from Notch to back it up. Its September and I believe we're still a few weeks away yet.. Gives you more time to find this plugin though!

18. Offline

Kaikz

The terrain generator is completely different in 1.8, and old seeds won't work, so there's no point regenerating your map.

19. Offline

dak393

Why not a seed's a seed it should work, that being said the generator is completely revamped (with good reason)and worlds with the same seed from 1.7 are as good as new. The request is because he want's all his hard work to still be there :)

20. Offline

Kaikz

No, Notch said that old (pre 1.8) seeds are useless in 1.8. The seed "glacier" will not create the same map in 1.8 as it does in 1.7.

21. Offline

TehSkull

Can you provide a source for that?

22. Offline

Kaikz

It was on his Twitter a while ago, so it'll take ages to get through them. :l

23. [​IMG]
    There you go.
    But I give you right Flenix.
    Copy the stuff over or just do a fresh start is the best we can do as admins.

24. Offline

Insanehero

I really don't care that the seed is different. All I want is to make it so certain chunks don't regen. I don't care if I have to enter the chunks manually or via world edit wand. I could care less that the world looks different than it does before all I want is to keep my creations. And no I cannot just copy and paste my creations into a different world. I have 4 massive cities and 10 huge dungeons that are just to big to copy and paste.

Please help,

-insanehero

25. Offline

Brain

Chunks usually don't regenerate on their own so you should be safe

26. Offline

Insanehero

Yea I understand, that is why I do not want to use one time renewel plugin. Cause there will be tons of old looking chunks all over where people have built. I want to make it so I can choose what chunks I want to not regen and not have it so all chunks that have built on don't regen. That way I can keep the old chunks more under control and then just flatten them out with WE smoother brush.

27. Offline

Flenix

You used WE? You mentioned your solution in that post. Wait for WE to update, then select an area and //regen.
    SHOULD do the trick... that command works now by the way I use it all the time to remove griefs in the wild :)

28. Offline

Insanehero

No, you've obviously read it wrong.

29. Offline

dak393

Correct it will not create the SAME map but the seed will still WORK. You didn't read my post =/
    any way @Insanehero all I can think is to use a mass regenerator like one time renewal then clean up the odd chunks by using a map (like dynmap) to find the chunks that were not regenerated (BTW you should remove torches from the list of man made items) then regen them yourself. A plugin to do this would need to store many areas you want/don't want to be generated hooking into say WE and at that point you would have to mark out all the locations yourself why not just clean up the off parts. Also you could always use MCEdit to copy / paste your towns even gigantic maps copy over fine ;)
    EDIT: O and now that I remember what I was gonna sugest before! Why not place an item like sponge through your cities (one block per chunk), regenerate all (setting man made to only sponge), then use WE to remove all sponge :)

30. Offline

Flenix

Whether I read it right or wrong thats probably going to be your best/easiest option. just simply //regen anything you want to be regenerated and don't whatever you want to keep. That is possible so I doubt anyone would create a plugin that'd essentially do the exact same thing... you did say you don't mind selecting chunks.