1.8 Is going to be huge.

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by Relicum, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Relicum

According to the reply I got from @SeargeDP 1.8 has re coded virtually even file in minecraft.

https://twitter.com/SeargeDP/status/487349764208734208

Now that's a hell of a lot of changes. Just hope server owners understand that you might be waiting a little long for plugins to update than a normal update. Bukkit can't work miracles and update the Bukkit API overnight so please give both them and the developers of the plugins some slack if the day after its release when ever that might be, you don't find everything has been updated for you.

ArsenArsen likes this.
  2. Offline

5chris100

Uhm... The Bukkit API doesn't necessarily have to be updated for every release...

Hasn't that always been the case for every version update?

3. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

I suspect ( if it is gonna change ) deprecated methods on bukkit with new methods.
    I don't think that there will be changes needed in the API though.

jacklin213 likes this.
  4. Offline

Relicum

timtower
    If you don't think changes will require go and read up on whats in it, I have been chatting to them on Twitter and following their tweets, they fully admit the entire game has been re structured and re-factored till its unrecognizable. Don't get we wrong its a good thing but will be a shed load of work for everybody. I would love you to prove me wrong but I don't think so. My guess it will be released and this is pure speculation based on there recent snapshots solely on bug fixes and getting it ready for release(Their words). The most likely time would be when their new EULA comes into force. But am only guessing like the rest of us.

Well you only need to see there is still no Recommend build for 1.7 nearly 10 months later. That is no dig at Bukkit Dev's it just shows how much changed in 1.7 there was. I respect them for not marking a Recommended build until they feel they have the confidence. Now that was with only a 1/3 or files being changed. This is not your usual uodate. The entire internals and data contains have been completely re written. For example Signs and books now use Json to have settings applied to. Remember Bukkit also do Craftbukkit. In all my time and that's right from the launch of minecraft have I ever seen an update that compares to this. One bit of good news they are mentioning the "Plugin.api" more and more. If you have followed the snapshots each week your understand where I am coming from.

5. Offline

LordDarthBob

It's the 1.7 update all over again! Grab your plugins and head for the hills!

6. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

Relicum Internal changes are different from api changes in my opinion. I never said that there won't be much to edit.

7. Offline

Relicum

timtower
    Agreed but as I said they also have to re-factor Craftbukkit. There have to be big changes to great chunks of the API, in regards to data transfers and storage as Mojang have switch so much to Json format. For example interfacing with a sign and books is done using Json, An example of how complicated it must be for them is that I noticed that 1.7.10 Craftbukkit contains nearly the full Json chat features and formats that were introduce in 1.7. I am sure there was a damn good reason why it only just starting to appear in Craftbukkit, while the internals must have used the new Chat formatting, as they have no choice but it looks like it might make a public appearance soon. This would be really helpful to any plugin developers who haven't experience Json before as come 1.8 we will all be using it quick a bit.

Personally I'm preparing by checking out all of the new commands as a lot where used in command blocks in the snapshots but can also be ran through the console, which gives me a chance to implement some of the new stuff as soon as there is a dev release especially with the new command fallback system, in theory all the commands should be accessible from the start, just have to wait and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.