1.3 Upate

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by JOPHESTUS, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

JOPHESTUS

Hello,

As some of you may know, I make plugins (like a lot of people), and because I am fairly new to making them, there's some things I'd like to know about major updates.
    When CB is updated to a new minecraft version, will it break plugins? Does it depend on what parts of the API they use?

Thanks,
    JOPH

2. Offline

MuisYa

It will most likely not break your plugins, since they will not change the API that they are using.
    Though some things may break, and if something will break the Bukkit team neatly announces that.

3. Offline

CorrieKay

Wut.

I beg to differ, theyve changed the api pretty heavily a FEW times :p

Unless we have confirmation from them (which, hey, we might, and i dont know about it), theres no guarentee they arent changing it.

Plus, with the... yknow, new api coming out (slated for 1.4) You never know. They might just change the api :D

ZeusAllMighty11 and LucasEmanuel like this.
  4. Offline

Ar7ific1al

The extent of my knowledge is that yes, plugins generally are broken when a new Bukkit version is released for a new Minecraft version. In the case of subversions (eg. 1.2.5, 1.2.4, 1.2.3, etc.), very little may change, it depends. And yes, it sometimes might depend on specifically what the plugin uses. Some of the things it uses might be completely deprecated, some of it might be changed slightly, some of it might be changed dramatically, and some of it might not be changed at all.

In the case of a new build of Bukkit for the same Minecraft version (eg. 1.2.5-R2.0, 1.2.5-R3.0, 1.2.5-R4.0, etc.) it may be as easy as just changing the external dependency from the former version (for example, 1.2.5-R1.0) to the new version (for example, 1.2.5-R4.0).

I'm no expert (far from it) when it comes to this sort of stuff, so... don't quote me on it. ;)

5. Offline

MuisYa

Give me an example of changing the API pretty heavily a few times? Lol

How can you guys say it breaks? I never seen something being broke after an update?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
  6. Offline

Ar7ific1al

What we mean by "broke" is having to update the actual code of our plugins to reflect changes made to the API. That's what it means for a plugin to be "broken by a bukkit update." If you need an explanation beyond that, someone else will have to get it... I can't give a simpler explanation.

7. Offline

CorrieKay

Lets see... How about the listener api change that happened back at the beginning of the year? People are STILL getting trolled by that change.

8. lol. rewrites or fixes are quite common after a update.

9. Offline

theguynextdoor

Or the config API change

10. Offline

CorrieKay

RIGHT! thats the other one i was trying to think of! Thanks.

11. Offline

MuisYa

CorrieKay Ah the listener API that is right! Though they did leave the other listener in and added a Deprecation warning for a month. So time enough to change it.

12. Offline

LucasEmanuel

But still they are changing the API way more then what i would consider to be good for the community. Now its true that i dont know the entire story behind all the changes and why they constantly take place but they still change the API a bit to often.

13. Offline

MuisYa

I don't think so, but that is my opinion.
    I think that updating is going really neatly =)

14. Offline

SirTyler

Its not so much as change as it is improvements, its not as often as you may think anyway. While yes when they change things in the API it can cause somethings to break, for legacy and transition reasons they leave the old systems in deprecated so as to give developers time to switch. From the users view 1.3 will not cause plugins to break (for the most part), from the developers view we shouldn't be expecting a major change unless they announce one.

15. Offline

mindless728

changing the api, I remember when the constructor of the main class for the plugin (ie whatever extends JavaPlugin) had to have like 5 variables in order to be made. When that changed, hilarity ensued.

16. Offline

Jozeth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.