1.2.5 map updated to 1.5.1

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by LadySky, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

LadySky

Hello, it's my first topic in the forums, but I've been following since an year now, since I did my own local bukkit server to play co-op with my bf..
    Lately we've updated Minecraft to 1.5.1 from 1.2.5, we've not been playing a while.. I still have an old copy of the 1.2.5 files to be sure, but we would like to play on the new patch..

Wanted to ask, is it possible to update my old 1.2.5 server to 1.5.1 saving the map? We built a lot in past, we wish to keep everything and only change the game's patch..

Thank you in advance,
    :)

2. Offline

Stevensaurus

Yes. Just update the server, and the map will carry over.

3. Offline

TheLunarFrog

Though you should make a back-up first, yes it is possible to keep the map - just do as Stevensaurus said, and just update the Bukkit jar file, and the map will stay how it is.

However, please keep in mind that if you do this without deleting your world, new blocks which are naturally generated (if any) since you generated the map will not exist, until you travel far enough away from what you've generated so far and generate new terrain. If you want to carry over old structures into a new world, you could use WorldEdit, or you could use MCEdit.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

4. Offline

LadySky

I did it, the world seems to work alright, the only problem I've encountered was one of the plugins not working anymore (the others 2 are out of date aswell, but still work).. The MCEdit thing was a good idea, but we've more than some building in that map, we even have a base in the underworld (which was the minor loss) and some really huge building, an house + farm + craps, and so on... pretty complicated to do XD

5. Offline

ZachBora

My server has had the same map since Alpha. Aside from biomes being screwed everything has worked ever since.

6. Offline

LadySky

And are you able to find the new biomes and the new blocks when you travel far from the old patch's zone?

7. Offline

zipfe

Any chunk that gets generated after an update is just as it would be on a new, fresh world.

What Zach meant by messed up biomes is that Mojang once (um twice) changed how biomes work in the past, and since biomes are separate from chunk block generation, Zach would now have for example snow fall in an old desert biome. Meaning, that area once may have been a desert, but now is considered a snowy biome.

8. Offline

LadySky

Ah, I see now.. XD But my world was 1.2.5 which I believe was safe from this mess you talk about...

9. Offline

ehopets

Everything should be fine except for: Nether quartz (need to generate new chunks) and some random sharp cliffs marking the border of new and old world gen.
    And you may have to get over the fact that some (if any) machines will be obselte due to new blocks.

10. Offline

LadySky

The quartz ye.. I was thinking about that.. The nether world has always been giving me troubles tho, the small red plants never spawned on any of my fortresses... Is there a way I can totally change the main nether world seed? Making in a way a totally new world is generated and linked to my home's portal... I have nothing important in the nether world anyway, and besides that would be good to see spawning some plants at once!

Sharp cliffs.. If you mean those floating blocks of strange forms, those aren't a problem, sometimes they spawn anyway, they look funny.. XD

Explain better the machine thing please, I'm not sure I understand what you mean...

11. Offline

ehopets

Machine: redstone devices.
    And you should be able to delete the nether world and change the world seed in the config
    And sharp cliff are just sharp cliffs, and sometimes are different biomes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.