[WIP] MCNotifier - Receive Notifications On Your Smart Devices! [Devs needed]

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by mazentheamazin, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

mazentheamazin

MCNotifier

What is it?
    MCNotifier is a Bukkit plugin and application which would notify you on your smart-phones, smart-watches, almost any smart devices on suspicious activity on your server, server shutdowns, server startups, and notifications you can configure to be informed on or not.

How is MCNotifier supposed to help me?
    MCNotifier will make it easier to run your server, and relieve you of any stress of anything going on while you're away from your server. Notifier will allow you to manage these issues on the go, so you can move on with your life while running your server.

Devices to support
    Open for idea's/suggestions
    As of right now, I only have a very general idea for what I want this to come out as. If you have ANY ideas for the plugin, feel free to contact me at [email protected] or PM me on Bukkit or BukkitDev

Developers are needed!
    Notifier is looking for developers that fit these positions:
    • iOS Application Front-End Developer
    • iOS Application Back-End Developer
    If you're interested in one or more of these positions, contact me at [email protected]or PM me on Bukkit or BukkitDev!

MCNotifier is Open-Source!
    Check out the source-code here! PR's are welcome :)

Reserved

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2016
    RROD and TheGamersCave like this.
  2. Offline

Ty Cleere

This seems like a good idea!! But i currently am to busy to help sorry :(

3. Offline

Onlineids

mazentheamazin Dang 4 reserved what are you planning to do, code it from bukkit o.0

Ty Cleere and Adriani6 like this.
  4. Offline

laptopdude

I'm available to help.

5. Offline

mazentheamazin

6. Offline

mazentheamazin

Everybody welcome laptopdude as the iOS Backend and Frontend developer! And SpartahMC as the plugins Graphics Designer!

7. Offline

MisterJeremail

I can do java and network code :)

8. Offline

mazentheamazin

MisterJeremail
    As of now, I have already done the networking framework (look here) . If you have experience working with Android, PM me.

9. Offline

MisterJeremail

mazentheamazin oh, so you don't plan to provide a service then, just a utility to host a server for the client apps?

10. Offline

mazentheamazin

MisterJeremail
    Currently, we're not going to provide a service; if a suggestion for a specific service comes in, then we might provide that, depending on what it is.

11. Offline

MisterJeremail

mazentheamazin I just thought you might want to have the server just connect to the 'service', where it posts status messages, and the various clients don't directly connect to the server but rather to the 'service'.
    This way you can still get new messages if the server is down, also you don't have to rely on connectivity tests to see if the server is down

12. Offline

mazentheamazin

MisterJeremail
    Generally, we would still have to connect to the session server (Our session server in scenario) to check if the server is down. We might implement your idea once the application is out (as most probably we will add advertisements on the app); however until then, we'll stick with connectivity tests.

13. mazentheamazin
    Now we just need a couple idiots doing intentional suspicious activities to spam your mobile devices!

Edit: By the way, this sounds like a really cool idea!

mazentheamazin likes this.
  14. Offline

MisterJeremail

mazentheamazin how does the session server stuff work? And if you do, I'd be delighted to help :3

15. Offline

mazentheamazin

16. Offline

MisterJeremail

mazentheamazin No, I mean why do you have a session server if you still directly connect to the serverplugin or do you not?

17. Offline

mazentheamazin

MisterJeremail
    No, like I said before, there is no use in having a session server as response times would be slower than if we used connectivity tests.

18. Offline

MisterJeremail

mazentheamazin oh, I thought it would be like an uptime monitoring system, using push rather than pull/polls

19. Offline

mazentheamazin

Due to laptopdude having to resign the project, we now have the iOS Front-End and Back-End slots open!

20. Offline

Not2EXceL

I'm questioning why you have 2 different back end slots. The networking should be the same

21. Offline

mazentheamazin

Not2EXceL
    Well, the networking is the same for Android and the main server (As both run on Java), however, for iOS we will need somebody who is familiar with Objective-C (or Swift; if it goes until that releases) to write the backend on there as it is not in Java.

22. Offline

Not2EXceL

No, no, and again no. You don't need a backend written more than once. True the front end requires an app for both OS's, but the backend should be purely packets. Clearly if you can't grasp the concept that networking can be done in multiple languages for the client and the server, then you shouldn't be working on this.

Also java is not the language that you should be using as a backend, but if you're sending the notifications directly from the plugin then obv you have no choice. But if its through a separate backend, you best not be using java.

MCForger likes this.
  23. Offline

mazentheamazin

Not2EXceL
    I think we got ourselves confused here... By backend, I am referencing to reading the packets, interpret them and notifying the smart-device(s (accessories included)). I understand that networking can be done with multiple languages, without a doubt; we just had a little misunderstanding by my reference to 'backend developer'. My definition is actually quite correct, as to : "denoting a subordinate processor or program, not directly accessed by the user, which performs a specialized function on behalf of a main processor or software system" (reference here). The job of the back-end developer in this project is to not re-create the networking framework but to do the interpreting process.

EDIT: Oh, I wrote 'write the backend'.. My mistake, apologies :)

24. Offline

Not2EXceL

mazentheamazin
    Definitions are definitions. However it should have been stated as the app's back end and not just backend. As everything has a front and back end it needs to be clear which segment is being noted. Also someone capable or writing a frontend for an app is very capable of writing the backend

25. Offline

mazentheamazin

Not2EXceL
    I agree with your first 2 statements and I have updated the forum post :). About "the ability to writing a front-end means they are very capable of writing the back-end" is a bit debatable, as for Android and iOS at-least you can make UIs with the drag and drop software included in the SDK (in iOS's case, its Xcode).

26. Offline

mazentheamazin

Everybody welcome nicba1010 , our new Android front-end and back-end developer!

27. Offline

mazentheamazin

For battery life efficiency reasons, MCNotifier will be switching to Google Cloud Messaging for all packets between Server -> Client

After research we were able to determine that GCM will be compatible with iOS as well :)

28. Offline

ROTN

Hi, I sneakily sneaked into the dev team. :)
    We still need an iOS developer.
    Also, we are no longer using GCM.

mazentheamazin likes this.
  29. Offline

RROD

How do you plan on integrating Google Glass support? Do you own one of the devices to test it with?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.