What computer languages do you know?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by thehutch, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

thehutch

My question to you guys are:
    • What computer languages do you know?
    • What do you think is the most useful language (Internet and object-orientated)
    • The least useful?
    • Which language would you most like to learn?
    • And why for all of the above
    Please answer honestly and no stupid answers please.
    ==============================================
    For me the answers would be:
    1. Java and VB.net
    2. PHP for the internet and Java for object orientated
    3. Pascal/delphi (Real life issues with it)
    4. PHP, so I can create webpages and learn another side of computer programming (Internet side)

2. Offline

Jaker232

• Java, partly Lua 5.1
    • Java, it's amazing powerful API can make almost everything possible.
    • Lua is okay, but hard on Data Persistence. Luckily I know it in Lua.
    • Java for the most part.
    • Java is the best computer language I can code, despite in Bukkit API.

3. Offline

ZNickq

Java,Pascal,C,C++,VB,html,php, and some more i can't really remember!
    Java! Object-oriented = WIN
    VB
    moar java!

4. Offline

MCManager

• C#, Java, VB.NET, php, html
    • C#
    • VB.NET
    • C#
    • C# has (IMO) the best syntax, and i just love Visual Studio

5. Java, VB.NET, php, html, C++
    Some better than others.
    I like Java the best, just because it's simple.

6. Offline

Acrobot

- Java
    - C++ (used to be good, now learning it again)
    - Javascript
    - Delphi/pascal (hate it, really)

- html
    - css

7. Offline

TopGear93

- Java
    - Javascript *websites*
    - CSS
    - HTML
    - Unreal Engine
    - Xray Engine
    - Source Engine

8. Offline

saul100

1. Java
    2. HTML
    3. Learning C++
    4.English ;)

ZachBora likes this.
  9. Offline

Lolmewn

1. Java only :)
    2. HTML
    3. Javascript
    4. PHP for sure =D
    5. Java cuz. HTML cuz ;) Javascript.. sux. PHP = win =D

10. Offline

rmb938

Java, PHP, some C#
    • What do you think is the most useful language (Internet and object-orientated)
    Any form of C because it is a very powerful language and is used by single desktop operating system
    • The least useful?
    Python - it sucks period
    Any form of C
    • And why for all of the above
    My opinion. Other people can have different opinions

11. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

HTML, a little bit of PHP and CSS.

12. Offline

OrtwinS

None

I work with Nanotechnology and only use higher level programs to conduct my measurements and process results (LabView and Matlab anyone?).
    Though I heard someone saying Matlabs custom m-file language is similar to java...
    Did do something with C++ a long time ago, but it certainly does not qualify as 'knowing C++' :p.

13. Offline

babydoll32

python, c#

14. Offline

xianthax

What computer languages do you know?

Roughly in Order of most use (recently): Scala, Java, Groovy, CoffeeScript, Javascript, Python, C (C99)

What do you think is the most useful language (Internet and object-orientated)

I presume what your trying ask is Web languages and Desktop languages (as opposed to OOP languages). PHP is object oriented btw.
    For web development it depends on the project and goals, I currently like sticking to functional languages like Scala for back end and something loosely typed liked Groovy for controller front ends. Obviously CoffeeScript/Javascript for the client side. I also use Python on Django for simpler web projects where type safety and functional design aren't important in the back end.

I don't really do much desktop development, my work in C is on embedded projects. They few times i've needed a desktop tool i've used Python + QT (if a GUI is needed) but really have no comment on best approach. It depends on the application.

The least useful?

All languages are useful for something. So I'll answer with the language I dislike the most:

PHP. Its only redeeming quality is that every free or cheep web host out there supports it, otherwise the language and support libraries are an epic mess. Just use free EC2 micro instances and run a language of your choice.

Which language would you most like to learn?

Play more with Ruby, Dart looks like it could be interesting. I really like the node.js concept of using the same language for client and server side but JS is just not a good language for large projects and Dart isn't complete yet.

Comments:

In general I think one of the most important things for anyone to learn as soon as possible is how to write proper unit tests and setting up / using continuous integration testing. On the Java side that means learning about junit (or testNG), arquillian, jsfunit, jenkins, maven, etc.

If your looking to learn Web development for professional use in the future, go with Ruby on Rails, Python on Django and/or learn functional programming with languages like Scala, Clojure, Haskell, etc. These are really the "in" languages for new projects. Not that there aren't plenty of php / java web apps out there, but going that direction is much more likely to land you doing maintenance programming on archaic messy web apps or business system, not terribly fun.

Matlab's compiled m-file format is an intermediate bytecode format, similar-ish to java i guess. The raw script language isn't very similar to java.

It may be worth looking at Python, i've used it a lot in the past for simulation worl, check out the NumPy, SciPy and matplotlib libraries. It gives you almost all the functionality of matlab, unless your using some of the specialized toolboxes, but lets you code in an easier to use language that is more conducive to complex code. I used Matlab a lot in college (Electrical Engineering) but used mostly Python for simulation/calculation stuff the 5 years I was doing EE work prior to switching to primarily SE work. I've used it for automated measurements as well, controlling O-scopes and stuff like that via VISA/GPIB, there is nice Python library for that as well.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016
  15. Offline

Abrupt

Java, HTML, CSS, PHP, VB6, VB.NET, basics of C++, and LOLCODE (all languages are pretty much the same, so I'd be able to read things in, for example, Python)
    Java
    • The least useful?
    LOLCODE, but for actual use languages VB6/.NET
    C#

16. Offline

OrtwinS

Ah, thank you, I'll be sure to remember that, though Matlab is currently the 'default' program we use here for simulations.
    LabView forced itself as the standard for automated measurements and controllers by giving away free software for students and giving free courses to the teachers, profs & dr.'s.
    I found its graphical representation easy to use for setups composed of multiple VISA and GPIB devices, but it also feels 'heavy' and not very 'agile' when I want to measure at sub micro-second intervals...

As alsways the window/linux analogy comes in handy, Labview is like Windows, everyone can make it do something, but if you want a system to be specialized in something, go Linux.

I think I'll need to dive into more abstract programming to get that extra performance, I'll try Python for my next project.

17. Offline

xianthax

If you don't end up needing NumPy or SciPy try out running with the PyPy interpreter, they've actually been able to out perform C in some areas due to a pretty impressive JIT compiler. Unfortunately numPy and sciPy haven't been ported over to PyPy yet but rather only run as CPython modules, CPython is the 'standard' python VM.

18. Offline

HWei

• What computer languages do you know? C++, C#, Java, JavaScript, PHP, Python, MATLAB... [skeleton]
    • What do you think is the most useful language (Internet and object-orientated) I don't know... Why not use all of them? [pig]
    • The least useful? Basic, some kind of many years ago... [sheep]
    • Which language would you most like to learn? Objective-C, no one can stop apple now... [creeper]

19. Offline

LEOcab

• C, C++, C#, Z80 assembly (classic Gameboy ftw), HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP and bits of various others including Java
    • Depends entirely on what you want to do and what resources you have
    • MALBOLGE
    • Russian
    • wat

20. Offline

dellmerca

21. Offline

ZachBora

it's in ma signature

22. Offline

JWhy

*wise-mode activated*