[TUTORIAL] Reducing lag and (possibly) fixing corrupt worlds

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by ichingpow, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Ziden

howdy there

im running bukkit on ubuntu, and i couldnt figure out how to install sun java , so ive installed openJDK, is is the same thing ?

server performance has been improved with your tips, however i started gettin a few "too many open files" socket exception
    any ideas ? thanx for any help !

2. Offline

iama

you can increase your file limits in limits.conf (in RH distro /etc/sysconfig/limits.conf)

3. Offline

ichingpow

If you can't install Java 1.7 from oracle, you can just use Java 1.6 from oracle by running apt-get install sun-java6. However you must have the official ubuntu proprietary repo which includes things like video card drivers but also oracle java.

4. Offline

morizuki

i tried using java 1.7 but it says on my server Error: cannot find or load main class java..
    I'm using a Windows 7 OS, Quad Core, 4gb RAM..

5. Offline

Windows_i7_920

This thread saved my server. After launching with the options, my RAM usage went WAY down and the server is a lot less laggy and so far is not crashing.

6. Offline

Bubylou

Recently i have been having lag issues on my server even when its just me on. i would also appreciate if somone could give me an estimate on how many people i could fit on my server with limited lag. i run the server on my own computer along side minecraft.
    Win7 64
    AMD dual core
    4gb of ram
    Bukkit 953
    Plugins- Essentials, MobArena, WorldEdit/Worldguard, Permissions, Multiverse
    might get rid of essentials for other plugins

i just tested out the server without essentials and it does seem to be doing much better could i get a suggestion for replacement plugins

7. Offline

ichingpow

Well first of all get rid of Windows and second swap Essentials for Commandbook. Read my orignal post.

8. Offline

Bubylou

Server runs much better now thanks. Cant get rid of windows though but would love to have a dedicated server running ubuntu. Any suggestions on how many people i could host without lag.

9. Offline

mrvertigo27

this looks like a good resopurce can we get this expanded a bit then put in the list of unhsticky sticky-ables

so i can learn something from this server start command can someone break down what each command does? i am switching from the one in my signiture to the one you gave I was just wondering what the difference was besides garbage collection...... and maybe an explination of how that relates to the server..... please

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  10. Offline

ichingpow

I'm in vacation, when I get home I will rewrite the launch line and explain everything on the way.

11. Offline

mrvertigo27

AWESOME!

12. Offline

DonneR93

Hi... My world is corrupt and I have no idea how to follow those instructions that you wrote, I do know a lot about extracting things to folders et / how to crack games but this is just too much.. wonder if you could help me fix it and and send it to me, if any of you guys would be so kind to do so I will be extremly happy!
    /D

<Edit by Moderator: Redacted mediafire url>

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2016
  13. Offline

Moomoofishcakes

Okay this worked! I think haha, but now i reinstalled all my permissions and kept the files from the server but permissions and essentials won't work. Help please.

14. Offline

ichingpow

More information please :3

15. Offline

Moomoofishcakes

Okay I used chunkster to fix my main world and some others (multiverse). And well now that its all back I loaded everything and my plugins arn't working! D:. For permissions, it will say I'm admin but won't have the motd colors even though all the coding is there for them, and essentials isn't even working. D":

16. Offline

ichingpow

That isn't Chunkster's fault. Are you sure your worlds are named correctly?

17. Offline

Bharel

I just love it. Reduced the ram usage by 1.2 Gb!!!! Removed essentials, installed commandbook, used /butcher and the special run command.
    /me crys in joy.

Edit: Can a moderator sticky this post please? Might help MANY players. My server takes less ram and cpu than my game -.-

18. Offline

ichingpow

I still have plans to tweak that even more :3

19. Offline

Bharel

You. Are. Awesome.

20. Offline

RogerWilco

Nice thread. Thanks.

21. Offline

bradgillap

Thanks!

22. Offline

Slugslug

does command book make that much difference over essentials?

I use essentials for home warps protection of chest and rails motd rules (think thats it)

23. Offline

ichingpow

Yes, Essentials is a huge buggy and slow package.

24. Offline

Slugslug

if you don't mind me asking, how so? what bits do you find slow? I've not really been able to fault it but maybe am just not seeing what the alternatives are like

25. Offline

ichingpow

I've seen many people complain about their servers lagging in the help section before. I told them to remove essentials and replace it with CommandBook and they said the lag is gone...

26. Offline

68x

Hello, I am trying to use the 32bit (x86 - it's not meant to be an anagram for my name XD) with these boot up commands:

Code:
    -XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -Xincgc -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500 -XX:SurvivorRatio=16 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -Xnoclassgc -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:LargePageSizeInBytes=4m 
    I tried to add these to Remote Toolkit by removing the "-" by replacing them with ",". So it will look like this:
    Code:
    extra-runtime-arguments=-Djline.terminal\=jline.UnsupportedTerminal, -XX:ParallelGCThreads=8,  rest of the start up arguments ...
    When I try to start it up I get this error:
    Code:
    Error: Could not find or load main class ParallelGCThreads=8

27. Offline

biokemisten

Okay i read this 100 times and dont get it!
    EDIT! i am from swe thats because i dont get it.
    Code:
    java version "1.6.0_24"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode)

where should I paste it?

reg

28. Thx for this great thread, helped alot!

29. Offline

Grimmy777

I love you for this thread. Can you explain the other flags as well? This has helped my server quite a bit so far!

30. Offline

broluigi

I have windows seven. when i use java or anything in cmd to use chunkster, it says 'java' is not recognized as a internal or external command, operable program or batch file. How do i get chunkster to work without this java or how do i add the java? Im sort of confused

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.