Supported Plugin Languages

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by MistahCheese, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

MistahCheese

So, I saw the "plugins don't have to be developed in java" thing, but I was wondering specifically what languages are supported (hoping for Python and/or C++). Anyone know? Thanks!

2. Offline

Sindacious

Seconding this thread, native (p|j)ython support would be awesome.

3. Offline

AnonymousJohn

Lua would be awesome to program in. But I can learn Python. And I can stick with Java, if need be.

WolfX likes this.
  4. Offline

Procrastination

I think I'm mixing it up, but is python the easy one to learn or was it perl.

5. Offline

legendblade

Python is incredibly easy to learn; I learned it in a single day at work. On the other hand, compared to Java, I don't really care for it much.

6. Offline

hey0

If they're taking the route I think they are (which would be having a TCP server or something so you can interact with the mod), any language with a network library could be used to script for bukkit. Of course, I don't know how they're going to do it so you'll have to wait for a developer.

Higgs and Shoot like this.
  7. Offline

Master_rg

But still keep in mind that adding a lot of plugin languages doesn't support the performance in the worst case.. especially if you have to send your "plugins" through a set of parsers, which may not lead to the wished gaming experience.

Regards

8. Offline

WolfX

Dinnerbone: Plugins are handled through a PluginLoader
    Dinnerbone: We can write PluginLoader to handle all interaction with a given language

9. Offline

robhol

But the question is how many will actually be supported. Of course people won't (and shouldn't) spend their time writing middleware for eleventy billion languages. In other words, how many plugin languages are there concrete, definite plans to support?
    I've seen several people push C# and Lua, (I couldn't agree more,) for Python (I don't know it, but it seems great,) a few for C/C++ (eurgh) and since there are dozens of more or less suitable languages, assuming that they'll all work is probably going to lead to bad surprises.

10. Offline

AnonymousJohn

I know! Let's push for them to support Lolcode!!! Best programming language ever! xD

11. Offline

zeeveener

Apple Script! lol. I am not a developer, but have been really tempted to try. If they can make it so at least one really easy/simple language is usable, I will be content lol.

12. Offline

Ben S

C/C++ vote here. Although I'm content with any decent OO language as well. I think scripting should be avoided. It's just a little slow considering some servers can have up to 100 players.

13. Offline

Tythus

I would have to agree just based on keeping it light

14. Offline

sk89q

This is kind of early -- Bukkit is still very early in its development -- so no one has seriously considered supporting another language yet. Feel free to pick the job up though :p

15. Offline

torrentails

I'd love to see Python as a useable plugin code although I really don't mind java eithr.

16. Offline

msleeper

Can I write plugins in PHP?

17. Offline

SirM3aky

Is C# a viable language for this? I'm currently learning it and would love to start developing plug-ins :)

Killie01 likes this.
  18. Offline

huadianz

Depends on how Bukkit will be implemented I guess. If it is a native code DLL and we decide to hax0r Notch's code, we can make it run using any DLL capable language, well, on Windows only. I don't think Notch will like having a whole new modified server released though...

19. Offline

Killie01

i am a learning c# programmer and i always wanted to make plugins for hMod but that was java
    if this supports c# i can't thank the developers of bukkit more than i will do

20. Offline

torrentails

By the sounds of it, we probably be able to code in just about any language we want, someone just needs to code the right hooks and intereters for it. Brainf*ck and Befunge anyone?

21. Offline

AnonymousJohn

See, torrentails, that's exactly what I'm saying: Lolcode ftw! xD

In any case, I'd be happy to program plugins in C++, Java, Python or Lua. I suppose I never really thought of PHP for writing plugins (I've always thought of it as web-page stuff, but I suppose it IS a scripting language), but I'd be pretty happy programming in that, too. I'd be happy just programming in general. It's what I do for fun xD

22. Offline

Sosser

C# would be nice.

Playing around with the MCAdmin source code was so fun ;)

23. Offline

root

asm :)

any language will do, really - most of the object orientated languages share enough syntax to be pretty easy to learn once you have an initial base language.

24. Offline

Sosser

Yes, that's true.

So i suppose any c based language will do for me ;)
    (As i am not that familiar with c just yet)

25. Offline

The_Wrecker

I'll opt for just Java. Since the minecraft server and minecraft itself is written in Java. Best support imho.

26. Offline

mindless728

i would prefer C++, but doing this plugin dev keeps me doing something in java which is good

27. Offline

Sindacious

I'm thinking whitespace!

AnonymousJohn likes this.
  28. Offline

mindless728

29. Offline

jblaske

C# or VB.net would be most excellent.

30. Offline

skorgu

+1 for Python. If you're going the TCP route for the core plugin might I suggest ZeroMQ instead of a raw protocol? It's somewhat higher level and there are tons of libraries for different languages so you'd get interop basically for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.