Inactive [RPG] The MineQuest v0.61 - RPG System with Customizable Quests, Classes, and NPCs [1000]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by jmonk, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Offline

jmonk

MineQuest - RPG System with Customizable Quests and Classes
    Version: 0.62-test
    Overview:
    MineQuest started out as a plugin to add some RPG-like progression to Minecraft. It had 8 (By default, now completely customizable) character classes (4 Combat, 4 Resource - also by default) and you gained experience by doing tasks related to the class (e.g. Warriors fight with a Sword, or WarMages cast WarMage Spells). All combat classes gained health when they went up in levels, and all classes gained related abilities at certain levels.

An example of a custom class configuration is now available: http://www.theminequest.com/node/112

Now MineQuest has grown to be a much bigger project than gaining abilities and extra health. It includes mobs that get harder over time based on a level adjustment (determined by active players in the server). It has built in economy(iConomy Supported)/town systems that are available if people so desire. Most likely the coolest thing so far is the quest system.

Good Places to start in game are /minequest, /cubonomy (economy), and /quest (questing specific). Also poking around the help pages (Linked as more information below) gives some details about more advanced commands as well.

Quests:
    MineQuest is equipped with a system that is being developed so that minecraft can have real instanced dungeons where a select party can teleport into a world that has traps, harder monsters, and special loot. When complete players are brought back to their original locations.

These quests are completely customizable as they only load from a text file. MineQuest will search the bukkit directory for the appropriate .quest file when the quest is started. This means that anyone running a server could write a quest. Not just plugin developers!

The spell system is nothing special, and I'm sure that others exist out there, but what really makes MineQuest unique is the complete package, dungeons and everything.

Requirements:
    MySQL or SQLite

Suspected Conflicts:
    Towny, Essentials Spawn, World Guard, mcMMO,
    Other plugins that modify damage/health

Video:
    This is a video of the first real dungeon created, the first time through http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq85ppcwuM8

MineQuest 0.40 Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx8tYNb0MCM

Installation:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/3

Whats new in 0.60?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB9-N9XWfJE

Downloads:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/35
    Backup: http://code.google.com/p/minequest/downloads/list

Support:
    Please read the following FAQ before posting your question. It will help you out by getting the answer faster and help us out by having a smaller volume of questions.
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/36
    There are some forums on the MineQuest site found below.
    http://www.theminequest.com/forum
    If you cannot solve your issues in the MQ Forums and from the FAQ and the bug does not already exist please post it on the bug tracker.
    http://bugs.theminequest.com/projects/minequest

More Info:
    Information about MineQuest and its features
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/11

Changelog:
    Version 0.61:
    *NPC Fix Item Properties (Blacksmith Capabilities)
    *Fixed Ranged Ability Bindings
    *Other NPC Property changes
    *Bug Fixes
    Version 0.60:
    *Idle Quest System
    *Main World Scripting
    *Reputation System
    Version 0.53:
    *Fixed Instancing System
    *Fixed NPC Respawning Issue
    *Updated to b860
    *Fixed money naming
    *A couple hidden features

Full Changelog:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/74

If you love MineQuest then help keep the project alive: http://www.theminequest.com/node/164

2. Offline

jmonk

The most I have right now is this page http://code.google.com/p/minequest/wiki/TownProperty. I know its not terribly useful but at least it touches on all of the important commands. I don't really know much about towny, so I'd have to take a look at it to know what you mean by that. It does offer protection from mobs, and anyone not explicitly given permission to edit town or a property cannot.

The town system is really a shell compared to what I want it to be. Eventually each town will have a wealth associated with it, based on how much 'money' is in each store in the town, what kinds of blocks made up the town. The wealth of the town will determine the price of things in the economy.

I am also working on mercenaries right now. I would like to have a number of mercenaries in a town based on the wealth of the town. You hire them and they level up just like any character. When they die they go back to town and you have to rehire them, but the higher the level the more they cost. In the last release I added support for standing NPCs in quests in plans of adding mercenaries in the next release. Hopefully these mercenaries can be added to your party and go on quests with you.

3. Offline

fugue2005

ok, if i make a town and assign a mayor will the mayor be able to expand the town?or is it a set size?

also, how does a mayor assign people to plots?

4. Offline

jmonk

Currently I don't have a way to change the size of a town, however I will put that on my list of commands to add. Right now it is a set size.

Currently property buying is all done by the player. /price says the cost of the plot they are standing on, and /buyprop will take that amount of money from the player and give them ownership.

If a mayor didn't want to use the currency system he could always use /setprice 0 on the property, that should allow a player to just claim the plot.

5. Offline

fugue2005

have you considered tying into iconomy? i run several iconomy linked plugins currently and i think it would get too confusing to have 2 seperate economy systems.

6. Offline

jmonk

Its possible, although the most functionality I would probably add would be things like buying plots and reward money for quests. I don't want to head into a full scale implementation of someone else's economy plugin embedded in my code. I would have to depend on their updates and have less flexibility than my own code.

7. Offline

RazorFlint

What did flatfile ever do to you. :(

8. Offline

jmonk

Nothing, but setting up a mysql server is not a big process, neither is running with sqlite. With both of those options that should be enough for pretty much anyone. What did SQL do to you?

9. Offline

MRavn

17:26:35 [INFO] Starting minecraft server version Beta 1.3
    17:26:35 [INFO] Loading properties
    17:26:35 [INFO] Starting Minecraft server on *:25565
    17:26:35 [INFO] This server is running Craftbukkit version git-Bukkit-0.0.0-549-
    gb917029 (MC: 1.3)
    17:26:35 [INFO] Preparing level "world"
    17:26:35 [INFO] Preparing start region

17:26:38 [INFO] [MineQuest] Error: could not initialize properties of town mravn

17:26:38 [INFO] [MineQuest] (MySQL) SELECT * FROM 1
    17:26:38 [INFO] [MineQuest] [ERROR] Failed to query database
    17:26:38 [SEVERE] null loading MineQuest v0.3 (Is it up to date?)
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.monk.MineQuest.World.Town.<init>(Town.java:73)
    at org.monk.MineQuest.MineQuest.onEnable(MineQuest.java:594)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin.setEnabled(JavaPlugin.java:118)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.enablePlugin(JavaPluginLoader
    .java:451)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.enablePlugin(SimplePluginManage
    r.java:217)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugin(CraftServer.java:92)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugins(CraftServer.java:70)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.e(MinecraftServer.java:204)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.a(MinecraftServer.java:191)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.d(MinecraftServer.java:131)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:246)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:366)

17:26:38 [INFO] Done (0,317s)! For help, type "help" or "?"

it worked for like 3 hours ago and now i cant even use the Minequest command.. anyone knows what is wrong??
    I have tried to redownload the Minequest.jar and tried to use Jmonks Craftbukkit but none of them works

10. Offline

Evan Melvin

I'm really confused concerning the documentation; it isn't very clear.

Does this have NPCs?
    How do the shops work?
    How are quests acquired?

This looks promising, however there are quite a few other plugins that I use that require iconomy, so I don't think I'll be switching yet.

11. Offline

Hant

My Friends and i get from nothing damage. Why? And after a dungeon in my normal world i get damage, too. From nothing??? where is the mistake?

PS: i like your Plugin!

12. Offline

jmonk

If I had to guess I would say you named your town after your self. Which I imagine would cause problems with overlap in database. Without manually editing your database I don't know how to solve this besides resetting your db.

MRavn likes this.
  13. Offline

MRavn

thank you.. it seems to work now

14. Offline

jmonk

NPCs - In Progress, Currently they stand around and do nothing.
    Shops - Completely text based, working on a new interface
    Quests - Currently quests are not so much as acquired as they are started using a /startquest command. I am working on a system so that quests can be "available" to a player, and a system so that completing one quest will make another quest available to another.

I would like to mention that there is nothing requiring players to use the economy part of this plugin. It will always be there, but simply creating no stores and setting the price of plots to 0 effectively nullifies it currently.

I'm not sure what you are asking. The way you have worded things kind of confuses me. I would love to help you, but I'm not sure what you are asking.

You might be referring to poisoning. Something I have not gotten around to documenting on the wiki. When you are poisoned you get a message saying you are poisoned. If uncured your poison will do you 1 point of damage for every 10 distance you travel. You will take a total of 10 points per poison. The amount will stack but not at the same time. If you are poisoned multiple times it will simply last longer rather than do extra damage immediately. Only one cure poison is required, even if a quester has been poisoned more than once.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
  15. Offline

crusher441

jmonk is there a self cure because i think i might be poisoned also.. i never got the message but i keep getting randomly damaged. Oh and on the new upload when the server is starting and u dont have a database up, it says databse.

16. Offline

jmonk

Cure Poison Should cast on yourself, and Cure Poison Other should cast on another quester.

It should always tell you when you are poisoned, so maybe this is something different. Does the console say anything? How are you damaged (a lot or a little) (you can check with /health)? Does it happen just once or every few seconds?

Thanks for noticing the typo, should be fixed in later releases.

I looked into the iConomy interface and it might not be that bad to implement. If I did add support for iConomy would you use MineQuest?

On the reverse side, if MineQuest were to implement the API for iConomy allowing iConomy plugins to work with it as the core, would you use MineQuest?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

17. Offline

Evan Melvin

If it had iconomy support and npc-based shops and quests I definitely would. I use 5 or 6 plugins atm for that functionality, and it's a pain to keep them all up to date and make sure everything works well together. Having everything in one plugin would be ten times easier.

18. Offline

RazorFlint

It's Just that everyone think's MySql Is Really hard to setup, but infact it isn't i find it really easy its just people may avoid this plugin because of the MySql Requirement

19. Offline

jmonk

TBH I always inject all of the MySQL and SQLite classes into my compiled craftbukkit jar. So if people downloaded that and used SQLite it would be just as easy as a flat file. Just change one true to a false and be done.

I will do my best to add of this functionality given enough time (might take me several versions). Can I have a list of plugins you use for reference of the features they provide?

20. Offline

RazorFlint

Hmmm... I guess but still a really nice plugin and thanks for letting me know. look forward to your future plugins.

21. Offline

Evan Melvin

Citizens and NPCx for npcs,
    Dropbonus for iconomy money from monsters,
    Uquest for quests,
    and localshop for shops (only being used atm because npctrader is out of date and Citizens doesn't have shop functionality).

edit: Also PhatLoots for chest based loot. It works really well, and is the main reason we're sticking with iconomy.

Fireball seems to be bugged. I attempt to cast it on something and it just sets the 4 blocks below me on fire.

edit: it seems that left-clicking with any item bound to fireball will set you on fire.

22. Offline

jmonk

Thanks for the warning but I am working on this. Will be fixed the next time I release an abilities pack.

23. Offline

Evan Melvin

Somewhat of a bug when using worldguard to stop fire spread; fireball will ignite blocks, however blocks that burn will not go out, i.e. wood and logs. Doesn't work particularly well in buildings with wooden floors as people without permissions to edit cannot put the fires out manually, so you're stuck with a burning floor indefinitely, or until someone with edit rights comes along to put it out.

24. Offline

Nieksas

u should remove your town script because there is a good plugin called "towny"

25. Offline

jmonk

I'm not going to remove the town system simply because another one exists. If you don't create any towns it will simply be if it doesn't exist.

Interesting, I'm gonna look into this. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. I suppose I'll have to learn about world guard.

26. Offline

Shadowlordz

This plugin seems awesome, but I have been fiddling with it for days and there are no tutorials I can use because I am running on a Mac. I just don't have the knowledge to be able to setup a database. I tried using your database for my server but it just didn't work. I downloaded the connectors but it just says in terminal (mac version of command or something like that) "cannot connect to database" blah blah blah...
    I just wish that I could install it.
    If I could suggest something though, the plugin iConomy, when you download it, you get a .jar which is a sqlite database I think, and if you could implement that, it would be amazingly easy to install ,but what do I know?

27. Offline

averad

My server also runs these or very similar plugins aswell as Towny that I would like to replace with MineQuest. The only thing holding us back is iConomy support for Towns, shops, quests, etc.

Thank you for your hard work on this.

28. Offline

jmonk

Ok, so time to do a poll and see what people would rather want to focus on in the next week or two. I was planning on really focusing mercenaries NPCs for hire so I could get them into the next release, as well as new abilities, better interfacing, some fixes, and new quest events. However if there was enough support I could try to do quick support for iConomy for my shops and towns ASAP, then go back to the things I mentioned above.

So how about it everyone, focus on mercs or on iConomy?

I do have sqlite support for minequest, however I don't automatically include the sqlite jar file. If you are using my patched version of bukkit then you won't need any sqlite jar file, but if you aren't you might be able to use the one found in iConomy that you mentioned. Just set the mysql property to false rather than true and it should switch over to sqlite. Let me know if this doesn't work for you either.

29. Offline

averad

My only thought is if you code further into the plugin enabling iConomy support will be more difficult. If it's done now you could make the cost of NPC's for hire be iConomy supported with less code diving.

But this also throws your mindset off from what you were thinking about and this is your project.

30. Offline

Evan Melvin

TBH if you did npc shops (even with your own economy system) we'd probably switch over due to the fact that there are no up to date npc shop plugins. That, along with npc-based quests are seriously lacking at the moment, as uquest is the only plugin to support quests, and even then it's done with a command and the quests are given at random.

edit: The problem running an rpg-esque server at the moment is that everyone is working on plugins that would contribute to such a server, however no one seems to be working to make their plugins compatible with others, or to make a more complete plugin. Npcx and the dialogue system is great, however it doesn't support quests or shops. A lot of the shop plugins are great but they don't support npcs. Uquest is good too, but that doesn't support npcs either. A lot of the skill and ability plugins have problems because they can't pass events to npcs. Trying to stitch all these plugins together to make a good user experience is a pain, and even then, it usually doesn't come out the way you want it to.

31. Offline

jmonk

Do you have an NPC Shop plugin that is out of date that I can use for feature reference, I'm not sure exactly what kind of an NPC interface people would be looking for. Not saying I can't do it, I just don't know exactly what to do.

Quests from NPCs, I can definitely setup NPCs that give certain quests, will try to get this going soon and get it tested. However given the distinct lack of quantity of quests for MineQuest it will be up to people in the community to get some quests going.

I am currently working on new Quest Events which will track simple things like entity deaths. When I am done with this I will probably write a few example kill X MonsterType quests but beyond that and a couple dungeons I won't have much released for quests by me in the near future. I'm really hoping to get some more people into quest writing, I'm trying very hard to make it as easy as possible.

In regards to iConomy, I looked at the core API for it. It seems like at the center its really just about having a place to store the amount of money a player has. At the core of MineQuest that is all I really have, my currency is cubes so I have setCubes and getCubes functions. I should just need to detect if iConomy is running and if it is call the respective get/set money functions in iConomy, if not act normal. Then add some configuration to make sure the scaling between economies doesn't cause issues.