Ram Usage, Plugins and ram.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Myntekt, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Myntekt

Hi, I'm here to ask how many slots I can have with:
    • 4096mb ram
    • 100mbit full duplex (shared with other 3 servers)
    • Plugins:
      • backpack
      • backup
      • buycraft
      • chestshop
      • clearlagg
      • disguisecraft
      • essentials
      • essentialschat
      • essentialsspawn
      • loginsecurity
      • McMMO
      • Modifyworld
      • Moneydrop
      • PermissionsEx
      • ProtocolLib
      • Questioner
      • Register
      • SimpleAutoAnnouncer
      • towny
      • townychat
      • vanishnopacket
      • vault
      • votifier
      • WorldEdit
      • WorldGuard
    And if it is possible to replace some plugins to others which do the same thing, or if there are plugins that I should remove.

2. Offline

zipfe

Your post didn't get answered, because your question is like reading tea leaves.

Just give it a go. And when you run into serious performance issues, consider reconfiguring your setup or asking around here again.

3. Offline

Myntekt

I also asked if I could replace some plugins with others for lesser lag, or if there were plugins that weren't that good.
    I think that isn't like reading tea leaves.

4. Offline

jorisk322

Remove PEX & register. Register is very outdated I think (and also does the same as Vault. Would cause conflicts).

5. Offline

lokpique

Myntekt

OMG... don't get rid of PEX unless you replace it with another permission plugin...

6. Offline

zipfe

Great advice, make him /her remove their permissions plugin. /sarcasm

7. Offline

Myntekt

I know that Register does the same as vault, but it bugs the whole server if I remove it (because of towny).
    Which permissions plugin should I choose and why? (I don't want GroupManager)

8. Offline

jorisk322

Yeah. He needs another one, but he could probably figure that out by himself. I recommend bPermissions.

XlegitXcrazymanX and Onionbro like this.
  9. Offline

LlmDl

Towny doesn't need register if you have Vault.

10. Offline

Double0negative

Keep PEX. Your real limiting factor here is the 30mbit up/down.

11. Offline

Myntekt

LlmDl - I didn't have register on the server and some errors showed up on the console. After installing Register they never came up again.

Double0negative - I'll talk to the hoster, btw why do you say that?
    Also, it's 100mbit full duplex (shared with other 3 servers).

12. Offline

Double0negative

Well, actualy ram/cpu power is your limiting, you could probably get maybe 150 on 30 up/down

13. Offline

Myntekt

Why did you change your opinion? And how many people can I run with that ram/plugins/connection aprox.?

14. Offline

Onionbro

Use bPermissions.

15. Offline

Myntekt

Do you have some reason to say that I should use it or just because you like it?

16. Offline

Onionbro

I like it's simplicity. I find the command structure to be easier to use than other managers. Granted, not every server setup requires the use of allot of in game/console commands.

I like the fact that when there is a bug codename_B fixes it relatively quickly, and when there is a bukkit update bpermissions does not often break. Updates to keep up with bukkit beta/rb builds are quick too.

It does not have features I do not need. This means that the developer is more likely to spend more time on features that I do need, or to find ways to improve the plugin.

I used PEX for a few months during minecraft beta, but my overall experience with bPerms has been far better.

17. Offline

Double0negative

It really depends on your usage. I've had servers with 60 ppl need 6 gb ram and had servers with 300 ppl use 1GB ram.

Also, keep pex.

LaxWasHere likes this.
  18. Offline

zipfe

What the heck is wrong with the two guys telling OP to get rid of his permissions plugin and replace it with another?

OP is asking about performance, not your opinion on various permission plugins. Your recommendation to remove PEX and replace it with XYZ is completely off topic.

Double0negative likes this.
  19. Offline

codename_B

I do aim to give good support, but at least I try.
    There's only so many support tickets I can answer in one day, and there is still that annoying herochat bug >.<

20. Offline

issaaccbb

Plugins look fine. Stick with permissionsEX, should work just fine. It can be kind of a pain to work with sometimes but I have it working with 5 layers of user groups no issues that I couldn't fix myself.
    Your doubling up worldGuard and towny? Id pick only one, you might cause issues there.
    You should easily get about 60 people I'd think. your limiting factor is like mentioned above, your connection. Sharing with 3 other servers does NOT help things at all. Unless you are only paying a fraction of normal, go host somewhere else.
    Speed AND lag are determined by CPU, network and sometimes your Hard Drive (3 servers takes a toll). If its laggy with just you and a few people, thats your problem. Try fluctishosting if you want decent hosting, though there are a million out there, I've hosted here for about 3 months and so far, no lag or issues at all.

21. Offline

lokpique

That wont effect his ram usage... please keep on topic.

22. Offline

jorisk322

He doesn't mention RAM here. I advise him to replace PEX, because it can cause big problems

23. Offline

lokpique

Read the title of this thread.

24. Offline

Necrodoom

paste the errors.

25. Offline

Myntekt

I'm not having any problems with PEX for now, and I can easily find where the error is if I have one.
    issaaccbb I'm using world guard most for the spawn area. I've blocked towny there.

Why do you say, that the problem is sharing the pc/server with another 3 minecraft servers?

26. Offline

issaaccbb

Well a minecraft server is cpu/disk/network intensive. It scales with however many people you have connected.
    Lets say that for each person connected, they need 100 blocks loaded (just an estimate). They need to download all 100 blocks to move and the server will keep those blocks loaded into memory. Anytime the player updates just about anything on a block, the server gets the update, processes it and saves it.

Now lets say we have 20 people on a server. Worst case scenario, thats 2000 blocks loaded and transferred over the internet. Add 1 more servers, well thats 6000 blocks total.... it could easily clog up your 100 MBit/s link.

This is worst case. I mean, if your talking 2-3 people on each server then yeah you could manage it on a single machine. Servers are designed to handle this work load, but they have 1GBit/s links, 10x the bandwith.

27. Offline

zipfe

That completely depends on what you ordered. It's not like all servers come with 1GBit connections.

28. Offline

issaaccbb

This is true. I was focusing mainly on what could clog up the connection

29. Offline

Myntekt

What is true?

Do you think 30mbit/s isn't enough for 65 people?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  30. Offline

zipfe

65 players is too demanding for a shared 100Mbit, imho. Depends how your hoster balances that shared amount, and greatly depends on what those players do and where they are, though. And of course what those other 2 servers are doing at the same time.

Typically I'd say 100Mbit just for yourself would be more suitable for that player count.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.