[MECH/MISC] ComPassionate v2.6 - Expand your compass' features and navigation! [BukkitDev]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Releases' started by DrBoweNur, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Offline

DrBowe

ComPassionate - The ultimate tool-set for your players' compasses!
    Version: v2.6
    BukkitDev: ComPassionate v2.6

ComPassionate v2.6

Quick video showcasing ComPassionate:
    (This video is fairly outdated, be sure to read the updated features)

Ever wondered why Notch took the time to add the compass, and then destroyed its use by the creation of beds? If so, then you've been wondering the same thing as me.

ComPassionate was my very first Bukkit plugin. Because of this, there were lots of issues with it. In order to see how far I've actually come from day one, I decided to completely revamp this plugin to suit my satisfaction. This plugin is the ultimate tool-set for compasses, allowing the tracking (and saving) of several waypoints in addition to the tracking of mobs and players. Not good enough? Tell me what else this should do, and I'll look into it ASAP!

Features:
    • Currently 4 Unique Compass Modes to make your compass experience more enjoyable and practical!
    • Completely internal control (no commands if you so desire, simply left/right click!)
    • Mob Tracker (Compass Mode) Read further down to find out more!
    • Player Tracker (Compass Mode) Read further down to find out more!
    • Waypoint Tracker (Compass Mode) Read further down to find out more!
    • (NEW) Grave Tracker (Compass Mode) Read further down to find out more!
    • BukkitPerms support (NEW) and option to disable permissions all together
    • (NEW) Ability to choose whether or not players who die with a compass will spawn with a compass (Makes Grave Tracker useful)
    • More Configuration
    • Complete set of user-friendly commands
    Commands:

There are 3 'base' aliases for the ComPassionate commands: /compassionate, /compass, and /cp
    • /cp help - Tells you everything you need to know.
    • /cp locate <waypointName> - Targets the named waypoint
    • /cp waypoint list - Lists all of your waypoints
    • /cp newwaypoint <name> - Creates a new waypoint with <name> at current location
    • /cp info <waypointName> - Tells you the coordinates and info of a certain waypoint
    • /cp setinfo <waypointName> <info...> - Allows you to set a generic description for a waypoint
    • /cp remove <waypointName> - Removes a waypoint from your current list
    • /cp mode help - lists a separate help section for compass modes
    • /cp locateplayer <playerName> - Locates the selected player
    • /cp share <waypointName> <playerName> - Sends a waypoint to another player
    • /cp toggle - Toggles the entire ComPassionate feature set, on/off
    Permissions : (open)

- 'compassionate.waypoint' - Allows the use of the Waypoint Compass mode (and commands)
    - 'compassionate.mob' - Allows use of the Mob-Tracker Compass mode
    - 'compassionate.player' - Allows use of the Player-Tracker Compass mode
    - 'compassionate.locateplayer' - Allows use of /cp locate <playerName>
    - (NEW) 'compassionate.grave' - Allows use of Grave Tracker Compass mode
    - (NEW) 'compassionate.untrackable' - Players with this node will be hidden from the PlayerTracker

Usage:

**To cycle through each compass mode, right-click with a compass in your hand!

Compass Mode: Waypoint Tracker
    Show Spoiler

The Waypoint Tracker is what I consider the premier feature of ComPassionate 2.0. It allows players to create lists of waypoints that can be seamlessly targetted by their compass, in addition to allowing descriptions of each waypoint to be made (so they aren't confused by similar entries)
    • Left-Click: Cycles through the player's current list of waypoints
    • Shift-Left-Click: Sets a waypoint to the player's current location, and prompts them for a name and description
    • Shift-Right-Click: Tells you which waypoint you're tracking

Compass Mode: Mob Tracker
    Show Spoiler

The Mob Tracker mode will essentially scan an area around you (configurable) for mobs, select a mob at random, tell you what type of mob it is, and set your compass to follow that mob. Every 5 seconds, the compass will update to the mob's new location. If the mob dies, or you go too far away, it will drop the target. Players have the option to remove certain mobs from the cycle.
    Usage:
    • Left-Click: Tracks a random mob in a configurable vicinity
    • Shift-Left-Click: Will 'ignore' the mob for future trackings. This is useful for only searching for a specific type of mob in an area.
    • Shift-Right-Click: Tells you which mob you're tracking

Compass Mode: Player Tracker
    Show Spoiler

The Player Tracker mode is extremly similar to the Mob Tracker mode, except it will scan players instead of mobs. For this reason, I'm not really going to give much use info for it. All the steps for the mob scanner, are the same for this. (Just pretend each 'mob' is replaced with 'player')

(NEW) Compass Mode: Grave Tracker
    Show Spoiler

The Grave Tracker mode allows players to keep track of the last place they died. This can be useful for going to retrieve items after a nasty fall, creeper encounter, or dance with cave spiders. It also persists through reloads, so if the server shuts off unexpectedly, you can find your items when it's back up.
    Usage:
    • Left-Click: Locate your last known death location
    • Shift-Left-Click: (none)
    • Shift-Right-Click: (none)

Known Issues:
    - None thus far.

Reporting Bugs: (USE BUKKITDEV TICKETS, IF POSSIBLE)
    Please give me:
    • Your Bukkit Build #
    • The stack-trace (if there is one) [error log]
    • The version of this plugin that you're using.
    • Any additional information that you can muster up.
    TODO:
    Show Spoiler

• BukkitPerms support
    • Global Waypoints (so admins can create a list of 'places to see', or do treasure hunts)
    • Make it so that commands can fully handle compass modes, if people so desire.

Suggestions/Requests:

Have something you want added that's compass related? Let me know, and I'll be glad to give it a shot! Just post your request here in this thread, on BukkitDev, or PM me!

The Project Page at BukkitDev:
    http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/compassionate/

Changelog:
    Version 2.6
    • Updated plugin to run on the current Bukkit build
    • Fixed the issue where config files wouldn't initialize themselves for new users
    • Cleaned up and modified the formatting of some commands
    • /cp info <waypointName> now shows the coordinates of the waypoint along with the description
    Version 2.5.3
    • Fixed an NPE when the player respawns. This is not a critical update, as the NPE did nothing more than clog the server-log. Still encouraged, however.
    Older Changelogs:
    Show Spoiler

Version 2.5.2
    • Fixed an NPE with the new 'compassionate.untrackable' feature
    • /cp locate now sets your Compass Mode to Node Tracker
    Version 2.5.1
    • Minor bug fixes, nothing to document really
    Version 2.5
    • Updated to be compatible with R5 and up
    • Added 'compassionate.untrackable' to hide players from PlayerTracker
    • Added /cp toggle, allows to turn off all features of ComPassionate (and then turn them on again)
    Version 2.4
    • Added an option for spawning with a compass (provided the given player died with a compass). This makes Grave Tracker much more useful. Also made sure to prevent any duplication (if they die with a compass they don't drop it when they spawn with one)
    Version 2.3.1
    • Added new config option 'Enable-Permissions'. Setting this to 'false' will allow everyone to use every mode (This is for servers with no permission plugins)
    Version 2.3
    • Added new Compass Mode: Grave Tracker
    • New permission node 'compassionate.grave'
    Version 2.2
    • Added /cp share <waypointName> <playerName>
    • Added notification message after setting the info for a waypoint
    • Fixed a few NPE's that may/may not have been noticed
    Version 2.1
    • Added /cp locateplayer <playerName> (Permission: compassionate.locateplayer)
    • Added /cp remove <waypointName> (For removing waypoints from list)
    • Changed waypoint creation so that it won't allow duplicate entries
    • A bit of command tidying up
    • Perms3 dropped in favor of BukkitPerms
    Version 2.0.1
    • Fixed a few NPE errors that I completely forgot to check for.
    • Removed a debug message that I left in on mistake.
    Version 2.0 (8/23)

• Completely re-designed the plugin from top to bottom. Re-released due to major differences.
    • Massive code refractoring (Almost nothing from the original plugin exists)
    • Mob/Player Tracker now auto-update the target's position
    • Completely new command interface
    • Waypoints that can be saved, named, described, and cycled through
    • You can now 'forget' mobs in Mob Tracker, so you dont pick up the same one over and over again
    • Seriously. The new waypoints actually work this time :)
    Version 0.2.4 (6/24)
    • Bounty Hunter no longer tracks NPCs (if using Citizens plugin)
    • Node Tracker now has the feature to Shift-Left Click in order to update to your most recent node (a feature it SHOULDhave had before, but wasn't properly implemented in the coding!)
      • To elaborate further, the only way to 'update' your compass target before, was to switch all the way around until you hit Node Tracker again, which updates to the node by default. Now, you can simply shift-left click in order to do this!
    • Any and all NPE's have been fixed. Go ahead. Try to get some spammed. I dare ya'. (But seriously, I *think* I got rid of them all with a little code re-working, let me know if it works or not ;) )
    • Players are now loaded into the Compass Database via logging in, as opposed to their first 'right-click' (this is what was causing NPEs before)
    Version 0.2.3

• Bug fix to multiple unforseen issues with Mob Scanner and Bounty Hunter
    • Added new Compass Mode (Bounty Hunter)
    • Additional code clean-up (not much)
    • Basis for permission's support (not implemented, but should be in 0.2.5)
    Version 0.2

• Improved Compass Mode toggling
    • Added new Compass Mode (MobScanner)
    • Added new command /mobscanner (I'm aware that it should be branched off of /compassionate, fixing later ;)
    • Improved overall message display, to make things clearer and neater
    Version 0.1.1

• Added command /compassionate
    • Added ability to cycle through spawn and the player's waypoint/node
    Version 0.1

• Releasing ComPassionate to the public

Also, I'd like it known up front that I have done no testing with a live server, so I haven't tested with multiple players. I'm fairly sure that this plugin should work with several players, but there is a slight chance that I may have overlooked an area or two. Let me know how it goes.

EDIT: Uploading video now

EDIT2: Done.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
    EdenCampo likes this.
  2. Offline

DrBowe

@teegee543
    And because it was, make sure to post back if anything breaks.

As a caveat, however:
    I had to modify my the data saves in order to include this, so there's a chance that you'll need to delete the PlayerData.bin (and reload it, which will delete waypoint saves).

I've been looking at a way to make it less sensitive to modifications, but it hasn't quite reached that point yet.

Great! Also, small feature that you missed out on in the previous video, but there's also a Waypoint setup wizard (Shift-Left-Click with Waypoint Tracker). Minor feature, and certainly isn't crucial to the plugin (so don't feel obliged to include it) , just figured I'd mention it. :p

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  3. Offline

teegee543

@DrBowe: It seems to be working great so far. Does it take some time for the latest version to be the default download on BukkitDev?

4. Offline

DrBowe

Yup. They have to approve the file first.
    (It's one of the many reasons why I've always liked bukkit.org better)

5. Offline

teegee543

6. Offline

jamescosten

7. Offline

DrBowe

Check to see if waypoints are saving correctly. As I had feared, I believe that toying around with the UserData class has caused it to be incompatible with the previous version. You should be able to fix that by deleting PlayerData.bin and letting the plugin rebuild it, but if it still saves properly, there's no need to.

EDIT:
    @jamescosten
    I love the idea of weekly updates, just to keep everybody posted on how things have been with you and any upcoming reviews. Keep up the good work!

8. Offline

teegee543

Thanks, deleting PlayerData.bin fixed it!

9. Offline

Redstorm3265

You should have a command to hide all text from the plugin as it gets kinda annoying when using the compass to teleport and have this plugin say something , Great plugin for the users, just not so much for staff! Just an idea though...Please consider :D

10. Offline

DrBowe

@Redstorm3265
    I can add a verbose command, though really it'd be easier to go into WorldEdit and change the teleportation object (So you don't have to use a compass to begin with, maybe change it to a clock?)

11. Offline

Redstorm3265

@DrBowe WorldEdit does not have a config.yml anymore :/

12. Offline

DrBowe

@Redstorm3265
    I know @jamescosten managed to change the item, perhaps he could help you with this? (I'll still add a verbose option, I'm just throwing alternatives out there)

13. Offline

Hornik_Honza

This plugin really is phenomenal!
    works like a charm and will give lot of fresh air to our server!
    Thanks man :)

mb could work like sort of metal/material detector sometime!

14. Offline

DrBowe

@Hornik_Honza
    Glad you like it! :)

And yeah, someone else suggested an ore-detector. No promises, but I may spend some time to make this in the near future.

15. Offline

Kryptonous

Thanks! Cool plugin ;)

16. Offline

agubelu

Wow, such an useful plugin :D

But I think it would be nice to include a "classic compass" mode, I mean, a mode which makes the compass to point at the north (or any direction)

17. Offline

DrBowe

@agubelu
    Added on my list of things to do after my fall semester is over :)

18. Offline

Hornik_Honza

chest detector could be awsome :D

19. Offline

ivansmo

I need help with this mod. I have a server and i have used compassionate for a long time. Everything was great until premission support came along. Now everybody on my server get the 'you don't have premmisions to do this' error. I don't know how to work with this premission system so is there a way to disable that. If you know how please e-mail me at [email protected]. thx

20. Offline

DrBowe

@ivansmo
    Do you use any permissions plugins like PEX or bPerms?

21. Offline

ivansmo

22. Offline

DrBowe

Ah, that'd likely be the issue. I'll add an option in the config to turn of Permissions support so that everyone can use the features, okay?

23. Offline

ivansmo

That would be nice, yes. :)

24. Offline

DrBowe

If you stay online for just a bit longer, I'll have it pushed out for you.

EDIT:
    Okay, try the latest version. Should have an option in the config file called 'Enable-Permissions', you want to set that to false. :)

25. Offline

Wiinick

in ur video.....its cuhmpus or cuhmpas NOT com-pass

26. Offline

DrBowe

You'll have to blame my 'American ignorance' on that one, sir. As long as the plugin doesn't speak to you, it should be fine to use :p

Hasteman likes this.
  27. Offline

Wiinick

You sir are very funny.

28. Offline

Hasteman

Could i reccommend adding a feature that allows one to NOT drop their compass upon death? Makes the "grave tracker" much more plausible and more useful if you ask me... I also don't want to get too heavy with many more plugins so if it was included in this one that'd be cool ;)

29. Offline

DrBowe

So something that makes it where 'if they die with a compass, they'll spawn with a compass' sort o' thing? Yeah, I can throw in an option for that!

30. Offline

Hasteman

Cool! But if possible can it not drop a compass when they die? I don't want people offing themselves and trying to sell mass produced compasses...

Edit: If not I found a plugin that allows this but it's still a good idea for yours if i do say so myself. :D

31. Offline

hybridvirus

Very nice mod =) I do need some assistance though.
    I enabled permissions in the compassionate config, set NO compassionate permissions up, and I still can access every compass feature.
    I deleted player data, and tried it again, nothing worked.
    If anybody has some spare time to help me, it would be much appreciated.
    Trying to configure all of my plugins for my server.

edit: I really only want the waypoint compass node to be enabled. It's perfect for what I need.
    I set up the waypoint node in PEX, and it still gave me everything.

edit: forget this post, i just used the "-" PEX feature that disables the listed node. I didn't know about that. Sorry. Move along, nothing to see here people!