LAG Reduction Help!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by gamalamin1, Apr 25, 2013.

?

What server manager should I get? (Windows 7 x64)

Poll closed Apr 25, 2018.
  1. SpaceBukkit

40.9%
  2. BukkitGUI

4.5%
  3. I'll tell you in the comments

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. None.

54.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

gamalamin1

Hey people, I need help reducing lag on my server and I need you guys to help me. I need your help maybe replacing plugins, identifying plugins that cause high RAM usage/lag, and any suggestions.
    =================================================================
    Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium - Acer Aspire 4347 - Java 7 - 3214MB RAM (Soon of be 6GB)
    Hard Disk Space: 404 GB free of 450 GB (And after two years, wow :p) Latest Beta Build Bukkit
    Server Slots: 30
    =================================================================
    Plugins: 32
    AutoMessage, ChestShop, CoreProtect_2.05, CustomServerMessages, Essentials, EssentialsChat, EssentialsGroupManager, EssentialsProtect, EssentialsSpawn, Factions, Hangman, iConomy, InstaSoup, Jobs, MasterPromote, mcMMO, MinecraftTLA_v1.0.7-1(Bending), MobArena, MotdManager, Multiverse=Core-2.4, NoCheatPlus, paintballv1.1.6, PlayerHeads, PluginManager, pTweaks, PvPTitles, SimpleBackup, SurvivalGames, Timber, uSkyBlock, Vault, WorldEdit.
    Worlds: 6
    I don't need the spawn locations of 3 worlds to be remembered. Anyway I could reduce lag in the Multiverse config?
    ===================================================================
    Do you suggest I replace any plugins?
    Can you tell me which plugins cause high lag and RAM usage? (If possible. Reward is [cake])
    Do you suggest I remove/add any plugins?
    Any config suggestions for my current plugins?
    Tips on how to reduce CPU usage?
    ANY other suggestions?
    Etc.
    PS: Please tell me ANYTHING that could reduce server lag and increase performance.
    PSS: Don't tell me to get a server host! I could just host my server at home, theres no difference!

2. Offline

afistofirony

Network / CPU stats, please? Maybe one of those is an issue because you shouldn't be having many problems with that kind of setup.

3. Offline

gamalamin1

4. Offline

afistofirony

gamalamin1 And CPU? Your network doesn't look that bad.

5. Offline

gamalamin1

CPU? Sorry, how do I check? :p

6. Offline

afistofirony

Your processor's clock rate (speed). On Windows, you'd go to My Computer -> Properties to check the specs.
    On OS X, you'd click Apple Menu -> About this Mac... to do the same thing.

7. Offline

gamalamin1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 480 @ 2.67GHz 2.67GHz

Guys, please read my post and help me out :(
    ANY help would be appreciated! Even tips.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
  8. Offline

tanveergt5

Here's your problem
    Acer Aspire 4347

rtainc likes this.
  9. Offline

gamalamin1

Doesn't matter ;P Just give me some lag reduction tips. In the bukkit config maybe.

No help? am sad :(

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

10. Offline

Jeyge

You will need to post some information before people can really help you. Starting with your server.log could help people identify any potential problems with plugin conflicts/errors. If you load WorldGuard, a "/wg report" can help identify any problems with too many chunks being loaded and/or too many entities. And it never hurts to post a timings report to see if one of the plugins is lagging.

gamalamin1 likes this.
  11. Offline

gamalamin1

My server doesn't have any bugs or errors. It's all good. I just need some advice on how to stop lag. Thanks for the tip.

12. Offline

Fruitbowl

Just remove some plugins to free up some more data.

.Fruitbowl

13. Offline

xleguimx

From many experiences I've noticed that Mob Arena causes a lot of lag. If you haven't already, try limiting the amount of rounds to a point where not too many mobs spawn for your server i'd say no more than 20 rounds(I'd reduce the reward amount as well). As for your server having 6 worlds... not really recommended having multi worlds on a machine not running a server OS. I have a server just starting up right now and it's kinda iffy with more than 2 worlds with 8GB of ram allocated to it.

gamalamin1 likes this.
  14. Offline

rguz10

Your problems are:
    1. Windows 7 and not a server OS
    2. It's ran on a crappy acer laptop
    3. Only 3 gigs if ram
    4. The clock on that CPU is very low
    5. You refuse to post timings or your server.log

I ROFLed at your "Don't tell me to get a host there's no difference" if you used a host you would be using a proper Linux system and CPU with good speeds, proper RAM, enterprise grade SSD's, with 1 Gbts uplink. Please. Never say that again unless you have a dedicated server in your home with fiber Internet.

tanveergt5 and gamalamin1 like this.
  15. Offline

gamalamin1

What does that mean? Clarify

1. Specifically what server OS should I get?
    2. It's very optimized.
    3. Am getting 6 Gigs god willing :p
    4. How can I make it faster?
    5. I don't know what the mean?

- How do I get a server host? Am only 17 (minor). My profile says 18 because I was a year off. Can you tell me?

Do you notice any useless plugins I have? Some plugins that I could replace with better ones? Some plugins with the same perks?

16. Offline

rguz10

1. CentOS or Debian
    2. Just LMFAO, it's a laptop. Running desktop hardware with a desktop OS. That's about the farthest you can get from optimized.
    3. It's still slow RAM which is not good for chunk loading
    4. Throw the POS out and build something better
    5. Please just post your full server.log to paste bin and do /timings paste then give us that link.

tanveergt5 and gamalamin1 like this.
  17. Offline

Bobcat00

1. Are you running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS? 32-bit or 64-bit Java? (Your memory spec indicates it's 32 bit, and 6 GB of RAM won't help.)

2. How are you testing when you experience the lag? e.g., running Minecraft on the same laptop, from another PC on your LAN, or from another PC on the Internet?

3. How many people are connected when the lag occurs?

4. Is the laptop connected wirelessly or wired?

I think the bottom line is that the only way you'll be able run a server on this laptop is:
    - Connect it via Ethernet
    - 64-bit OS and Java, with at least 6 MB RAM.
    - Remove plugins like mcMMO, Mobarena, Multiverse, etc.
    - Reduce the number of slots to 15 or maybe less.
    - Don't use the laptop for anything else while the server is running.

If you really want to run a server with those plugins at home, I suggest getting a desktop with a modern i5 or i7 processor, at least 8 GB RAM, and connected it via Ethernet.

Just my opinion...

gamalamin1 likes this.
  18. Offline

gamalamin1

1. 64-bit OS/ 64-bit Java
    2. Running Minecraft on the same laptop, players say the server lags a bit.
    3. At least 10
    4. Wirelessly

PS: How do I connect via Ethernet? Is it free and stuff?

19. Offline

Bobcat00

Ethernet is a wired network cable. Buy a Cat5e / Cat6 cable and connect it between your laptop and router.

I would suggest that you not play Mincecraft on that laptop while the server is running.

20. Offline

TomYaMee

Do you feel lag when your players are complaining?

21. Offline

rguz10

I see why now. You play on the same computer! While using crappy hardware and a CPU intensive and ram hog of an OS on a wireless connection. That's why you lag.

22. Offline

Bobcat00

He's really trying to do too much with that slightly-old laptop. I suspect its graphics aren't good enough, either. I wonder how many FPS he gets in game and how many TPS he gets on his server. (Press F3 and issue /gc to get these values. Let us know.)

I have a 3 year-old desktop with an i7-860 2.8 GHz processor and 12 GB of RAM. I can run the server with 10 to 15 players (at 20 TPS), AND play Minecraft on it (at 150 FPS), AND stream video from it to an HDTV - all at the same time with no lag.

23. Offline

gamalamin1

Yeah

24. Offline

xleguimx

yeah if you want to host a server at home, the best thing i could recommend you is to build a machine specifically for hosting the server, i mean, i don't have state of the art hardware but it does handle the job well for now.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Specs:
    Intel Core i3 2100
    16gb ddr3 ram at 1600
    average hard drive
    its in a little mini itx motherboard for now, but i can wait for donations to upgrade the parts later.
    Probably swap the cpu to an Intel Xeon E3-1230V2 or an i7
    upgrade to about 64gb ram of the same kind
    most definitely want to invest into 2 ssd's running raid0
    -----------------------------
    Note: I am also blessed with access to Fiber Optics internet speeds, so i know the only lag i will normally get is going to be hardware related or caused by massive distance

25. Offline

cat126

I'm sorry you cant host a real dedicated server on your own computer(by you own I mean the computer you do every thing else on ). you need to buy server . http://www.bestminecrafthosts.com/
    unless you want to buy a second computer just for the purpose of hosting a server. you can't do it you can't host a game server on the same computer your playing the game on its to much. That goes for every game. you could host a game for just you and your friends that ends whenever you leave but you can't host a real dedicated server.

26. Offline

Bobcat00

I do that. It works fine. You just have to make sure you have the proper hardware. The OP's laptop is not good enough for that.

27. Offline

cat126

Now that I think about it . It's either your bandwidth or your laptop is getting to hot but still just rent a server.

28. Offline

angeplay

1) Install windows 2003 server x64 (lol @ win7 for a server)
    2) add more ram or remove some plugins
    3) place your laptop like this and remove the cpu fan cover > http://geckocomputers.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/upside-down.jpg
    4) Use ethernet, not wireless
    5) Please don't tell me you are using your SERVER as a CLIENT (surfing, playing etc..)

+If you can afford a SSD since laptops hdd are slow.
    Also to reduce CPU usage, remove nocheat+

gamalamin1 likes this.
  29. Offline

gamalamin1

Thanks for the suggestion, I hope this helps other people too :p
    Few Questions:
    -How do I remove the CPU fan cover? Is it risky?
    -What exactly is ethernet and where do I get it?

30. Offline

angeplay

Ethernet = network wire (rj45)
    And removing CPU fan cover isn't risky as long as you place the laptop like in the picture, and clean the fan sometimes.
    Of course your laptop will have to stay in this position, so you can't use it anymore for playing and surfing (but a server should only HOST, and not act as a client), you can connect to it via remote desktop.
    To remove it you simply need a screwdriver. It should looks like this http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaS1/disassembly/big/Toshiba_Tecra_S1_01.JPG (can't found a picture of your laptop so I took another one, the upper right arrow points the fan cover)

gamalamin1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.