[INACTIVE][TP] Nether v1.2 (2.0 in progress) - Super-Simple Nether Portals [1000]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by SpaceManiac, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Offline

SpaceManiac

Nether - Super-Simple Nether Portals
    Version: v1.2
    Tested on: should work on all RBs 450+; tested on 766. DOES NOT work on 1060.

I'm updating Nether very soon to work on 1060+ and also adding some nifty new features!

I use Bukkit, but have no plugins except a bit of my own tinkering installed. When multiworlds came out I decided that the denizens of my server could use some Nether action, but every plugin I could find came with too many frills, so I wrote up a simple one to use. There is no configuration and no commands. Figured I'd post it here in case somebody found it useful. It's basically designed to be used when you just want to add a classic Nether to your currently single-world server.

Features:
    • World coordinates are scaled 8x like in single player.
    • No configuration, commands, or persistent storage - drop and go!
    • Teleportation is smooth and usually lag-free (especially when the chunks on the other side are already loaded)
    • Portals are auto-created when teleporting through a new portal, carving a small cavern and placing a platform if needed.
    • Dying in the Nether teleports you back to the Earth spawn!
    Known Issues:
    • Portal frames are not detected, only active portals, so if you try to portal through to an inactive portal, a new portal might be generated a few blocks off.
    • Both sides of a portal must be uncovered or there is a risk of suffocation when teleporting in.
    • The area carved around new portals can sometimes cut into existing structures if you're not careful, though this is unlikely.
    • Ghast noises can still be heard on Earth in some cases (Bukkit bug).
    Download: Nether v1.2
    Source code: GitHub (MIT License)

Changelog:
    Version 1.2 (April 13)
    • Portals no longer make a giant platform and air bubble and instead seek vertically for a suitable location (thanks Acru).
    • The Nether world name is now configurable (thanks Acru).
    • The Nether world is now loaded on startup instead of first portal use.
    Version 1.1 (February 25)
    • Removed some vestigial debugging methods.
    • Dying in the Nether now respawns players on Earth.
    • Fixed TSLPC.
    Version 1.0 (February 15)
    • Initial release.

2. Offline

Brettflan

There is no build 605 yet. The actual build number is towards the end of the version string; in your case, it should be 602.
    I can't duplicate your problem using my unofficial Nether build 1.3.1 in RB 602. I built, lit, and went through a new portal to the nether and then likewise created another new portal back a short distance away in the nether.
    It does indeed show "1, 0" normally in your console when a portal is lit (whether by you using flint&steel or by something else, even when an exit portal is automatically created by this plugin).

For example, the test I just ran:
    Code:
    09:12:13 [INFO] 1, 0
    09:12:20 [INFO] NETHER_PLUGIN: Creating new portal, X oriented. Searching along Y (vertical) for a good spot.
    09:12:20 [INFO] NETHER_PLUGIN: Creating new portal at (X: -11, Y: 32, Z: 22)
    09:12:20 [INFO] 1, 0
    09:12:20 [INFO] NETHER_PLUGIN: Brettflan used portal at (-82, 65, 177) to NETHER world (-10, 32, 22)
    09:14:44 [INFO] 1, 0
    09:14:54 [INFO] NETHER_PLUGIN: Creating new portal, X oriented. Searching along Y (vertical) for a good spot.
    09:14:54 [INFO] NETHER_PLUGIN: Creating new portal at (X: -24, Y: 64, Z: 304)
    09:14:54 [INFO] 1, 0
    09:14:54 [INFO] NETHER_PLUGIN: Brettflan used portal at (-2, 37, 38) to NORMAL world (-23, 64, 304)
    09:15:29 [INFO] NETHER_PLUGIN: Brettflan used portal at (-24, 64, 304) to NETHER world (-2, 37, 38)
    09:15:50 [INFO] NETHER_PLUGIN: Brettflan used portal at (-8, 32, 8) to NORMAL world (-71, 65, 64)

3. Offline

mechaaries

ok this is REALLY weird... now it works igniting it again.. must been a glitch...

4. Offline

maxim leyh

works also with build 612 ;)

thx a lot for this

5. I tried the unofficial 1.3.1 now and it doesn't work with craftbukkit 617. It loads fine but when I try to use a portal I get this:
    Code:
    2011-04-01 11:16:58 [SEVERE] Could not pass event PLAYER_MOVE to Nether
    java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.innectis.Nether.NetherMain.EnterPortal(NetherMain.java:200)
        at org.innectis.Nether.NetherPlayerListener.onPlayerMove(NetherPlayerListener.java:53)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$7.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:205)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:59)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:255)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:128)
        at net.minecraft.server.Packet10Flying.a(SourceFile:126)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.a(NetworkManager.java:198)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:72)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:100)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:368)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:283)
        at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:375)
    Acru's build 1.1.5 still works fine but I want to use the preloaded world version for a faster teleport, any ideas?

6. Offline

Brettflan

I'll check into it.

EDIT: Ah, I should have added a check for whether the new text values were properly set or not. One of them isn't in your case. I'll add a check for that in a bugfix release shortly.
    If you're in a hurry for a fix, either delete the plugin's config.yml file and let the plugin recreate it, or edit the file and make sure all these values are set:
    Code:
    show-entry-text: true
    show-exit-text: true
    debug-output: false
    compression-ratio: 8
    portal-entry-text: You feel the pull of nether energies.
    nether-world-name: netherworld
    portal-delay-seconds: 5
    portal-exit-text: The portal has taken you... elsewhere.
    New unofficial release:
    http://wimbli.com/minecraft/Nether_1.3.2_unofficial.zip

Changelist:
    • in case of loading an old config.yml from a previous version, it now makes sure entryText and exitText are properly set
    • now ignoring move events which other plugins have already cancelled
    • proper thread-safety added for teleportTimers

@SpaceManiac
    I kind of feel like I'm hijacking your thread here... my apologies.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  7. Thanks for the new version, works fine now!

8. Offline

SpaceManiac

@Brettflan I don't mind, really, was busy with school all week. Should be able to get stuff taken care of this weekend, getting Acru's code merged in (it's just push away, actually, I've been testing it on my server for a few days) and checking what of yours ought to be included. A fair amount, I think. :D

9. Offline

Strongit

Thanks for the updates Brett, been messing with 1.3.2 on my test server using version 617. Everything seems to be OK so far.

10. Offline

bakon balázs

ooom two bugs for the author : >

1. when you disconnect in the nether you may die and you logged in the normal world without any items.
    2. on my server spawn too many ghast!

11. Guys will this "break" my normal map at any case ?
    I mean does anything, besides the portals stay on the normal map ?
    I am asking cause i'd like to be able to use my map on a non bukkit server in the future.

12. Offline

Brettflan

1. Running on older CB builds, you would be stuck back in the main world if you disconnected in the Nether and the server was restarted after that. This was a CraftBukkit issue. I hadn't noticed it removing inventory, but maybe so. However, from brief testing, the problem seems to be fixed on RB 617. After disconnecting in the Nether, restarting the server, and reconnecting, I started out correctly in the nether. So, are you actually having that problem in RB 617?
    2. Singleplayer also spawns too many ghasts, IMO. This plugin doesn't alter creature spawn rates in any way. If you want to modify their spawning rates or disable them, you should probably look for another plugin for that.

Your normal world will be completely unaffected other than added portals, and they of course will simply not work if/when the world is later loaded on a non-Bukkit SMP server.

13. Offline

MrKrucible

does this work for the 1.4 build?

14. Offline

Brettflan

15. Offline

bakon balázs

Brettflan: yes i running on cb 617

http://noob.hu/2011/04/04/2011-04-04_11.14.18.png
    and this is the normal spawn rate? :)
    this is the greatest nether plugin ever, but i think this is too many ghast :)
    or maybe my netherworld map is bugged a little bit.

so i make another nether, hope get better :)

16. Offline

Brettflan

That is indeed a lot of ghasts. :)

Again though, this plugin does not touch creature spawning at all. Whatever spawn rate you're seeing is down to CraftBukkit or more likely the default Minecraft server's behavior.

17. Offline

bakon balázs

i created another nether map, and now the number of ghasts is perfect.
    sry ;) i think the problem was on my bukkit :)

18. Offline

Shasharala

I thought this was listed as a CraftBukkit problem.

19. Offline

revil

Thanks for this awesome Plugin :D
    It would be great if u could implement a feature to have multiple nethers for different worlds

20. Offline

ettore85a

any update? :)

21. Offline

Brettflan

This plugin is meant to work like singleplayer, with one normal world and one nether world. There are other plugins available for multiple worlds of different types.

Is one needed?

22. Offline

Euron

I wasn't aware customization was a bad thing. Would it really be that difficult to code in multiple nethers?

23. Offline

Dangirdas

Please update this plug!

24. Offline

DeNarr

Does this even need updating? I'm running it on my updated server and I haven't noticed any new problems.

25. Offline

Dangirdas

Yes each stupid time someone enter the nether the whole console goes crazy and spits out endless of errors and the player gets stuck and i need to restart the server for them to got free D:

26. Offline

SpaceManiac

@Dangirdas Could you post the specific error?

27. Offline

Volacious

I tried out this plugin - The only issues I've found is that soul sand doesn't work in Earth (Bukkit Bug I guess) and that Ghasts can be heard around and close to spawn, and it seems that they even shoot at players in Earth, but hit objects in Nether, can anyone confirm this ? - We have heard booms and ghast screams around and in the general area around spawn. and it would also seem that Spawn protection (None block placement or removal) also makes that area in Nether protected.

So:

Soul Sand has no effect in Earth
    Ghasts can be heard in Earth mode, in my case around and near spawn.
    Spawn Protection is enforced in Nether

Also seems like it disables monster spawning in Earth realm, pigs and others do spawn hower, just not hostile. Was broken with a Bukkit release

Try the unofficial together with the newest recommended bukkit and you should have no issues. If you still get the problem you can try and post the errors here - Could be colliding with other plugins as well.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  28. Offline

zok

Could you update it for the latest build 617? on 617 you can olny telle port once each way to nether back and than they do not work anymore and i do not get any error's.

29. Offline

Brettflan

Have you tried my last unofficial build? I've tested it in 617 and didn't notice any problems like that.
    SpaceManiac does appear to be working on an update for his official release, though.

30. Offline

xDerik

This works fine for me in 617, the only issue I'm having is with the spawn points. Since 1.4 came out and we can reset our spawn points using beds, every time you go into the nether it changes your spawn point back to the default one.
    Is there any way to update this to send you back to your saved spawn when you die?

It doesn't matter if you die in the nether, or if you die on earth, as soon as you go into the nether, your spawn breaks. I can go in, come back out, and die on earth, and I'll go back to the original spawn.

31. Offline

Dreadreaver

brettflans 1.3.2 is working on CB670 though I have this issue too:

update plz? =)