[INACTIVE][TP] Nether v1.2 (2.0 in progress) - Super-Simple Nether Portals [1000]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by SpaceManiac, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Offline

SpaceManiac

Nether - Super-Simple Nether Portals
    Version: v1.2
    Tested on: should work on all RBs 450+; tested on 766. DOES NOT work on 1060.

I'm updating Nether very soon to work on 1060+ and also adding some nifty new features!

I use Bukkit, but have no plugins except a bit of my own tinkering installed. When multiworlds came out I decided that the denizens of my server could use some Nether action, but every plugin I could find came with too many frills, so I wrote up a simple one to use. There is no configuration and no commands. Figured I'd post it here in case somebody found it useful. It's basically designed to be used when you just want to add a classic Nether to your currently single-world server.

Features:
    • World coordinates are scaled 8x like in single player.
    • No configuration, commands, or persistent storage - drop and go!
    • Teleportation is smooth and usually lag-free (especially when the chunks on the other side are already loaded)
    • Portals are auto-created when teleporting through a new portal, carving a small cavern and placing a platform if needed.
    • Dying in the Nether teleports you back to the Earth spawn!
    Known Issues:
    • Portal frames are not detected, only active portals, so if you try to portal through to an inactive portal, a new portal might be generated a few blocks off.
    • Both sides of a portal must be uncovered or there is a risk of suffocation when teleporting in.
    • The area carved around new portals can sometimes cut into existing structures if you're not careful, though this is unlikely.
    • Ghast noises can still be heard on Earth in some cases (Bukkit bug).
    Download: Nether v1.2
    Source code: GitHub (MIT License)

Changelog:
    Version 1.2 (April 13)
    • Portals no longer make a giant platform and air bubble and instead seek vertically for a suitable location (thanks Acru).
    • The Nether world name is now configurable (thanks Acru).
    • The Nether world is now loaded on startup instead of first portal use.
    Version 1.1 (February 25)
    • Removed some vestigial debugging methods.
    • Dying in the Nether now respawns players on Earth.
    • Fixed TSLPC.
    Version 1.0 (February 15)
    • Initial release.

2. Offline

Dreadreaver

Not really, this was created to have nether before vanilla smp nether was implemented.

3. Offline

ZeroDoom

I love the plugin. Unlike the vanilla SMP nether it allows you to use the nether to cross long distances of the world. Unfortunally, the latest bukkit [1060] breaks it. I get this error when someone tries to portal to the nether.

Code:
    [INFO] zerodoom portals to Nether
    [SEVERE] Could not pass event PLAYER_MOVE to Nether
    java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.bukkit.entity.Player.teleportTo(Lorg/bukkit/Location;)V
            at org.innectis.Nether.NetherPlayerListener.onPlayerMove(NetherPlayerListener.java:91)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$7.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:286)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:58)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:338)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:174)
            at org.getspout.spout.SpoutNetServerHandler.a(SpoutNetServerHandler.java:527)
            at net.minecraft.server.Packet10Flying.a(SourceFile:126)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.b(NetworkManager.java:226)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:89)
            at org.getspout.spout.SpoutNetServerHandler.a(SpoutNetServerHandler.java:435)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:105)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:454)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:363)
            at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:422) 
    I also tested it with out the spout plugin. Same error minus the two lines about spout. I can do more testing later.

4. Offline

DoctorBoyd

I also get this error when teleporting.
    The error appears to be the exact same, I could post it here if it would help.

5. Offline

SpaceManiac

@ZeroDoom @DoctorBoyd
    Yes, this plugin is using a method that has been slated for removal for months and was finally removed in the latest CraftBukkit Recommended Build. I'm unlikely to go to the trouble to update this plugin unless there's significant demand for it.

6. Offline

harakiwi

So no updates?
    But i (and anybody on my server) don't like the vanilla nether feature.
    only 1 portal every x thousand blocks is creating a new portal sucks

7. Offline

DoctorBoyd

Thanks for reply. If it is updated I will surely use it.

8. Offline

imoneofthem

Hi there

I was using Nether 1.2 for a while but I believe there is a conflict with other plugins or specifically Multiverse.

Can someone confirm if the following plugin offers the same 1:8 scale feature :)
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/edit-misc-tp-fun-multiverse-2-0-world-management-1060.3707

EDIT: Ah I see the problem

9. Offline

imoneofthem

What's the alternative to this plugin? I needs something which can exactly replicate what this plugin previously did.

10. Offline

SpaceManiac

Multiverse, Nethrar, and Pinapp all might be able to replicate this pretty closely, but I may go ahead and update it anyways since I may end up needing it shortly for my own server.

dequis and imoneofthem like this.
  11. Offline

DoctorBoyd

Very glad to hear this might be updated. I really like this plugin, good work!

12. Offline

imoneofthem

Multiverse doesn't perform the same scaling as your plugin does and has caused quite an issue with players on my server. Supposedly it's the Y coordinate which is different.

It'd be fantastic if you do update your plugin though :)

13. Offline

illusive101

I'd greatly appreciate it as well if this plugin was updated. :)

14. Offline

harakiwi

same here

15. Offline

dequis

Looking forward for the update! I'm going back to build 1000 meanwhile.

16. Offline

illusive101

Any update when this might be done? Would greatly appreciate an update :D

17. Offline

SpaceManiac

I'll make this a focus at some point tomorrow, so it'll be done in time for 1.8. Planning to add a bunch of fancy options.

18. Offline

illusive101

And 1.8 was released D: Hopefully this doesnt make things too hard to have it fixed...

19. Offline

SpaceManiac

Heh, I had started but didn't get done what I wanted, so I'll get back to work once CraftBukkit's update is all said and done.

20. Offline

imoneofthem

I'm looking forward to this.

Also I had a thought. If you are using this plugin AND multiverse on the server do you have to configure your nether world to 'NORMAL'? If it's 'NETHER' then multiverse will automatically do a 1:8 scale.

This may very well be the problem the server players are experiencing. If your plugin is doing a 1:8 scale and multiverse is also doing a 1:8 scale then theoretically it's a 1:16 scale or even...a 1:[8*8] scale?

If this is true has the survival:nether scale always been like this until the Nether plugin was removed then the server has never been running a true 1:8 ratio until now.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

21. Offline

SpaceManiac

Never tried running Nether and Multiverse side by side myself, may be an interesting try-it-and-see.

Anyways, been putting some work into Nether 2.0 and here's what I've got so far:
    https://github.com/SpaceManiac/Nether
    http://wombat.platymuus.com/dl/temp/Nether-2.0.jar

Here's a snip from the default configuration:
    Code:
    # Configuration for Nether 2.0

# Mode can be one of three values:
    # 0 - Classic mode, just like Nether 1.2 (no delay when portalling)
    # 1 - Agent mode, which uses Nether 1.2's portal code but the new portalling
    #    events (delay when portalling)
    # 2 - Adjust mode, which uses the standard portal code but allows configuration
    # Classic mode requires allow-nether in server.properties to be false, and agent
    # and adjust mode require it to be true.
    mode: 1

# Respawn affects how respawning works, and is independent of the mode.
    # false - respawning is not handled by this plugin - dying in the Nether will
    #    respawn you there.
    # true  - if a player dies in the Nether, they will respawn in the normal world.
    respawn: true

# This is the name of the nether world. It only affects Classic mode.
    worldName: 'nether'

# One block in the Nether equates to scale blocks in the normal world. Only
    # affects Classic mode.
    scale: 8

# Whether to log portalling and respawning. Exact messages vary based on mode.
    log: false

# Various options that apply to all modes are available.
    # searchRadius - the radius to search around the exact destination for an
    #    existing portal.
    # creationRadius - the radius around the exact destination that a portal may be
    #    created (does not affect Classic)
    # canCreate - whether new portals are allowed to be created.
    # If canCreate is off and no portal is found, some portals will not function.
    options:
      searchRadius: 16
      creationRadius: 12
      canCreate: true

Everything works in theory but I've done zero testing, so if any adventurous could let me know what goes horribly wrong, that'd be great.

illusive101 likes this.
  22. Offline

illusive101

http://i.imgur.com/MBAKV.png

That's what I got when I tried to fire it up on the latest recommended build for 1.8

Hopefully fixed soon, I love this plugin :)

23. Offline

sirvulcan

That error appears to be caused when it tries to load a blank configuration file. If you just dump the jar file in and start bukkit a blank Nether/config.yml file is created. This needs to be filled in with his default config above or it will give you that error you got.

Found a bug with the new release, it seems to put you on top of the gate once you have teleported through. Also not sure if its a bug or just my server. Once im in the nether (brand new world) I just get dropped due to an overflow. I also get dropped each time I connect back to the server.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  24. Offline

Naucoo

No console errors, but i do spawn in on top of the portal with 2.0.

25. Offline

dequis

Thanks SpaceManiac for nether 2.0!

I was going to switch to multiverse-netherportals but the default search radius seems to be 1024 blocks in the overworld. So I found out that nether 2.0 supports agent and adjust modes. Looking at the code it seemed that adjust was what I needed to tweak search/creation radius, so I installed it alongside multiverse-netherportals, but I had some problems: when creating a portal on the overworld, going through that portal and then going back to the overworld, another portal somewhere else on the overworld was created.

My solution was dropping multiverse-netherportals and replacing it with nether 2.0 in classic mode (so all portals lead to the same nether and return to the main world), which worked flawlessly just like 1.2. But I imagine this is not something all server admins can do, and fully working agent/adjust modes would be a nice feature.

26. Offline

SpaceManiac

Hey, you're very welcome! Over the break I should have spare time to fix this up and release it on BukkitDev and whatnot.

27. That spawning on top of the frame sure needs to be fixed, it's pretty annoying when portal is created somewhere in undersea caves with low ceiling and you spawn just in that sea.
    But still, great plugin! I hope it can't be used as a griefing tool (ie for destroying houses with portal)?

28. Offline

NuclearW

Moved to inactive, please update to the latest RB and tag me or another staff member in a response post to have it moved back.

29. Offline

dequis

30. Offline

berg_jnl

dequis
    still works in 1.2.5?

31. Offline

dequis

Yep.

Also SpaceManiac updated his branch two weeks ago but never released a build. Maybe it's not ready, maybe he forgot. Who knows. There's also a fix for spawning on top of portals on agent mode there. It's not in my fork mostly because I use classic (due to bugs in agent...)